Specialty dinner vs Platinum Latitudes dinner

bones774

41 minutes ago, bones774 said:

Just wondering if there are any tips between using one or another of these dinners. Have two latitudes and one specialty, don't wanna make mistake using the wrong dinner in wrong restaurant. Thanks

Technically:

Specialty Dining Package: 1 appetizer, 1 salad/soup, 1 entree, 1 dessert

Latitudes: 1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1 dessert

In practice, we have always been offered the same for Latitudes for every meal since the change (1 appetizer, 1 salad/soup, 1 entree, 1 dessert). That makes the dinners interchangeable. 

If you really want to minimize risk, use the latitudes vouchers for fixed price/item dinners (Teppanyaki, Moderno, Food Republic, Sushi, Raw Bar, Pincho Tapas). 

The only exception is that the Latitudes voucher with wine can not be used at Palomar (on Prima and Viva) since they have their own sustainable wine list. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only other limitation is that you cannot use both Latitudes vouchers for the same restaurant, so if you want to return to the same place twice, you will need to use your specialty dining credit for the second visit.

• Like 1

On Sky we used our specialty dining at Pinnacle, the sushi restaurant, getting an extra meal out of the deal.  They give you 4 choices from their menu, so my wife and I each took two choices on my specialty dining card, and then later in the cruise we each got two choices using my wife's specialty dining card.  The rolls selections each had 8 pieces, so for each meal we split 32 rolls of 4 different flavours, was enough for sure.  And since Pinnacle had no deserts on the menu,  stopped in at the buffet for cake and ice cream.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there still a dollar limit on the entrees for the Latitudes dinner? The NCL app says $35 but the website no longer mentions any limit other than the fact that upcharges may apply to some premium items, which I assume are things like lobster, filet mignon, etc, which are shown on the menus.. 

1 hour ago, booklady26 said:

Is there still a dollar limit on the entrees for the Latitudes dinner? The NCL app says $35 but the website no longer mentions any limit other than the fact that upcharges may apply to some premium items, which I assume are things like lobster, filet mignon, etc, which are shown on the menus.. 

The limit no longer applies. As you suspected, the upcharges are the same as with the SDP.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2023 at 7:16 PM, Pitzel said:

The only other limitation is that you cannot use both Latitudes vouchers for the same restaurant, so if you want to return to the same place twice, you will need to use your specialty dining credit for the second visit.

Not true I used Cagney's twice on my platinum, even asking numerous times if it is OK, I did not have the free at sea at the time. Also I have never been offered the extra soup or salad in addition to my app and when I hand in the  coupon they are very clear about that distinction  Too bad as my tip would very much reflect that appreciation.  This was in Feb of this year on Getaway but of course it could have changed. Will be on the same ship in two weeks so can report back then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

Not true I used Cagney's twice on my platinum, even asking numerous times if it is OK, I did not have the free at sea at the time. Also I have never been offered the extra soup or salad in addition to my app and when I hand in the  coupon they are very clear about that distinction  Too bad as my tip would very much reflect that appreciation.  This was in Feb of this year on Getaway but of course it could have changed. Will be on the same ship in two weeks so can report back then.

It is true that there is officially a restriction on using the vouchers in the same restaurant. It is stated on the website (with the most recent changes)..

"Additional entrées will incur supplemental charges. Dinner coupons are non-transferrable. Solo guests cannot claim two dinners. Coupons can’t be used for the same venue twice. 2 guests maximum. Dining options vary by ship."

Whether they actually apply the restriction or not is a different matter, and it is very common for these things to be applied inconsistently. We always make sure that if we go to the same place twice then we use free at sea for one, just to avoid any potential issues. The advice given by Pitzel was good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The limit no longer applies. As you suspected, the upcharges are the same as with the SDP.

Thanks, Keith. I'm so glad to hear that since the choices up to $35 are really limited since the ala carte prices have increased so much. Couldn't even get a decent steak in Cagney's if that were still the case!

1 hour ago, bedfordmom said:

Not true I used Cagney's twice on my platinum, even asking numerous times if  ...  my (cash, extra) tip would very much reflect that appreciation.  This was in Feb of this year on Getaway but of course it could have changed. Will be on the same ship in two weeks so can report back then.

So true, I wonder if we had the same waiter/team on the GA (although there're many "teams" that worked their evenings there, during the day - they were at the buffet and/or O'Sheehan's like the rest)

I just stopped him as he began to mumble on the "restrictions" to stop it, put whatever is not covered on "my" room account/charge.  We just order the extras as we see fit, surprisingly, when the itemized bill or slip was swiped & presented for our signature, we didn't get "charged" for the extra soup and salad - and - it was most definitely listed as a line-item !!  Thus, I don't see that as a system or programming error, rather, humans are not given clear instructions and directions as to what is, is not, and possible, or perhaps, a supervisor's override.  

I don't think we had this "annoying" issues sailing the Epic TA when we dine in Cagney's.  But, the problem arised for La Cucina as we no longer bother to dine in Le Bistro, can't deal with the stripped bare menu selections & extra petite portions there - both on the Epic & recent Escape, it was obvious they're instructed and would enforce, inform us of not "allowed" to order 1-1-1 plus 1 dessert, rather just one item on the left side and one on the right side plus 1 dessert.  

NCL - consistently inconsistent, on purpose and otherwise ... 

• Like 2