Is Single entry schengen visa valid for multiple port cruises in/out of schengen area?

Shiwa26

Hi ,

I have got a single entry schengen visa.

My cruise itinerary is from athens to athens.

1.For turkey, I have read that if we do not stay there for 72 hours and just visiting port city , the  turkish visa not required.

2. My concern is when I will onboard cruise from athens , I will get exit stamp from athens .  Will I able to come back to athens at the end of cruise since I have single entry schengen visa.

3. what if I won’t be allowed to board cruise at athens at all? Its very near to the journey date. And all bookings are done. Please suggest.

cruise Itinerary-

athens - cruise boarding 

istanbul , turkey 

kusadasi , turkey 

mykonos , greece

rhodes , greece

santorini, greece 

athens , greece - cruise end

Edited by Shiwa26

I think that if you are a Cyprus citizen, then you need some advice from another Cyprus citizen, OR call your cruise company and ask them.   Please call your cruise company to confirm.  It is YOUR responsibility to get all the necessary paperwork, but they should know what you require.

I may be WRONG, but I don't think you get an exit stamp when you board the ship in Athens.  You will get an entry stamp when you arrive in Athens but not an exit stamp when you board the ship.  SOMEONE please verify this for me.

Looking this up on the internet can be confusing, but from what I have found here are a couple of clips of information:

image.thumb.png.8b25bbc02ff2ba2d7fb5660d66c97a0b.png

image.thumb.png.1f2f054985bab5d7d6456d2d8e59818a.png

• Like 1

You are very definitely leaving and re-entering the Schengen Zone ... but on a recent Venice-Croatia-Montenegro-Venice cruise we did earlier this year our passport remained in the safe for the whole time, and nobody beyond the cruise embarkation agent checked it, let alone stamped it.

The Turkish visa waiver is just that - a waiver by Turkey and nothing to do with EU/Schengen requirements or visa.  

Your profile says you're in Cyprus, but I assume you're not an EU citizen as you wouldn't need a Schengen visa.  What nationality passport will you be travelling on, and what residence rights do you have for Cyprus or elsewhere?

If a visa is required to enter Schengen you will need a multiple visa if you are leaving the Schengen area on a cruise returning to Schengen again.

You will not be able to board the Cruise ship in Greece without a multiple visa.

For the cruise a Turkish visa not required.

Your situation as a Cypriot citizen may be different but you cannot be sure that the guidelines you get here are correct.

15 hours ago, mom says said:

The replies you've gotten are contradictory.  But no one here, unless another Cypriot chimes in, knows the facts. Your best bet is to speak with the nearest Greek embassy.

As highlighted by @CDNPolar, if they are a Cypriot, they are an EU citizen, have freedom of movement in the EU, and don't need any Schengen visa.  Yet they have said they have one!

Until the OP comes back with their citizenship, residence and residence status, any advice is speculative.

Edited by fruitmachine

3 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

As highlighted by @CDNPolar, if they are a Cypriot, they are an EU citizen, have freedom of movement in the EU, and don't need any Schengen visa.  Yet they have said they have one!

Until the OP comes back with their citizenship, residence and residence status, any advice is speculative.

The EU and Schengen are separate entities. For example, Ireland is part of the EU but is not part of the Schengen area. Conversely there are countries not part of the EU that are part of the Schengen area such as Switzerland. 

Cyprus is not part of the Schengen area, although it is in the process of joining. As a result a citizen of Cyprus does need a Schengen visa. 

Edited by njhorseman

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The EU and Schengen are separate entities. For example, Ireland is part of the EU but is not part of the Schengen area. Conversely there are countries not part of the EU that are part of the Schengen area such as Switzerland. 

Cyprus is not part of the Schengen area, although it is in the process of joining. As a result a citizen of Cyprus does need a Schengen visa.

Nope, you are misinformed: if one is a citizen of any EU country (regardless of whether the county is within Schengen zone or not) then one can freely move around anywhere within EU (and also within those Schengen countries that do not belong to EU), although obviously you are subject to border controls when moving between Schengen zone and elsewhere and have to prove that you are an EU citizen.

Even a permanent residency in one EU country may allow one to travel within other EU countries without visa, but I would double check these regulations as there might be some limitations that may apply.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

As a result a citizen of Cyprus does need a Schengen visa. 

This statement is incorrect - as highlighted in the screen-clip by @CDNPolar above.

Just as an Irish citizen does not need a Schengen visa, neither does a citizen of Cyprus.  No EU citizen needs a Schengen visa.  Citizens of some non-EU countries do.

Edited by fruitmachine

• 6 months later...
On 9/26/2023 at 11:01 PM, Shiwa26 said:

Hi ,

I have got a single entry schengen visa.

My cruise itinerary is from athens to athens.

1.For turkey, I have read that if we do not stay there for 72 hours and just visiting port city , the  turkish visa not required.

2. My concern is when I will onboard cruise from athens , I will get exit stamp from athens .  Will I able to come back to athens at the end of cruise since I have single entry schengen visa.

3. what if I won’t be allowed to board cruise at athens at all? Its very near to the journey date. And all bookings are done. Please suggest.

cruise Itinerary-

athens - cruise boarding 

istanbul , turkey 

kusadasi , turkey 

mykonos , greece

rhodes , greece

santorini, greece 

athens , greece - cruise end

On 9/28/2023 at 2:04 PM, njhorseman said:

Mea culpa with regard to the need for a visa.

Hi. I would like to find out how this turned out. My husband and I are South African and we are also visiting Turkey on a cruise of the Mediterranean. We have only been issues single entry Schengen Visas. It’s all very confusing as some people say cruises are different and others say no you do need a multiple entry visa. 

please can you let me know what happened in your case

Thanks

38 minutes ago, StefReid said:

please can you let me know what happened in your case

Since OP is from Cyprus your situation might be different from his.
You’ll not need a Turkey visa but I strongly believe you’ll need a multiple entry visa for Schengen. 
If you do not have the correct visa the risk is that you must disembark in the last Schengen port before Turkey end then travel to the Schengen port after the port in Turkey - might be expensive. 
You need to check with the authorities issuing your visa.

Hi Everyone. I just wanted

to update this for anyone that might have a similar issue in the future. Our cruise liner advised that a two entry visa is required if you have a stop at a non-Schengen country in between Schengen countries. We contacted the consulate and they reissued our visas to be multiple entry visas the same day. 

I hope this helps someone in the future. 

• Thanks 1