Vista December 11-18, 2023. Excursion advice please! Ship excursions or private?

MoxieMomm

We are taking our first Oceania cruise in December and are still learning the ropes so would love any advice.  We have never been to any of the ports (Costa Maya, Harvest Caye, Roatan & Cozumel) and are looking for recommendations for excursions or great snorkel spots we can easily access on our own.  We prefer smaller group or private excursions in quieter areas over large 'party barge' excursions.  We would also consider sharing a private excursions if anyone is interested.  Share your wisdom!!

51 minutes ago, MoxieMomm said:

We are taking our first Oceania cruise in December and are still learning the ropes so would love any advice.  We have never been to any of the ports (Costa Maya, Harvest Caye, Roatan & Cozumel) and are looking for recommendations for excursions or great snorkel spots we can easily access on our own.  We prefer smaller group or private excursions in quieter areas over large 'party barge' excursions.  We would also consider sharing a private excursions if anyone is interested.  Share your wisdom!!

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise?  That might help you with your questions better than this generic  O forum.

Edited by 1985rz1

We are doing the same itinerary in the spring. Many people have given Victor Bodden tours in Roatan good reviews. It seems they do private and small group customized tours. We have the excursion credit so we are using that in Harvest Caye because that is an island owned by NCL/Oceania so everything will be connected to them anyway. I read reviews that the electric boat cruise which is a small group is very relaxing and there are a few individual activities that you can do there as well. We are trying the glass bottom reef explorer but I think there are also snorkel boat cruises. I believe there is a ferry to the mainland but you would need to research and find a tour guide there. Costa Maya has a touristy shopping village at the port and the actual town is a few miles away and the excursions such as the ruins are further. Those types of excursions should be low-key anyway even if done with the ship. I'm not sure which ships you have been on before but my expectations for Oceania are that the excursions will be less crowded and more tame due to the clientele and overall vibe of the ship. I hope I'm correct. Cozumel is nearly uninhabited on the side of the island opposite our docking. There are beaches there but the ocean tends to be a bit more choppy and the beaches are fairly remote in some cases. There are jeeps and cars available for rent near the ports and there are multiple tour operators with stands that can take you around the island or snorkeling. You can also get a ferry to Playa del Carmen if time allows, I believe its a 45 minute trip across. Trip Advisor is useful in reading the reviews on tour companies and also finding out which snorkel spots are the best.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:28 PM, MoxieMomm said:

We are on the same cruise and in Roatan we are going to the GumbaLimbo eco park. We were there in 2013 and it was a really fun day and hope to find the same this year.  

Why not join the roll call for this cruise, there are quite a few people who have already joined, you are likely to get ideas there.

59 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

We are on the same cruise and in Roatan we are going to the GumbaLimbo eco park. We were there in 2013 and it was a really fun day and hope to find the same this year.  

Why not join the roll call for this cruise, there are quite a few people who have already joined, you are likely to get ideas there.

I'm new to this forum and am not sure how to join a roll call. 

25 minutes ago, MoxieMomm said:

I'm new to this forum and am not sure how to join a roll call. 

On the Cc board page, scroll down to Roll Calls.  Click on the line, in this case, Oceania.  Then click on your ship, and then scroll through or search for your cruise date.  Maybe @Gracie115 could post the direct link. 

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

On the Cc board page, scroll down to Roll Calls.  Click on the line, in this case, Oceania.  Then click on your ship, and then scroll through or search for your cruise date.  Maybe @Gracie115 could post the direct link. 

I found the group but didn't see a 'join' button or way to connect to it. I did leave a message there.  Thanks for your help! 🙂   

15 minutes ago, MoxieMomm said:

I found the group but didn't see a 'join' button or way to connect to it. I did leave a message there.  Thanks for your help! 🙂   

Yes, "Join" is a bit of a misnomer, as you simply find it, then click on it to read or post.  You can "Follow" it, so you are notified when new posts are added.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes, "Join" is a bit of a misnomer, as you simply find it, then click on it to read or post.  You can "Follow" it, so you are notified when new posts are added.

@MoxieMomm At the bottom of the Roll Call page is a button called "Follow."  If you click on it,   it takes you to a window to select how often you wan to be notified, and you can click on "Follow" button on the bottom of this window to activate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

@MoxieMomm At the bottom of the Roll Call page is a button called "Follow."  If you click on it,   it takes you to a window to select how often you wan to be notified, and you can click on "Follow" button on the bottom of this window to activate it.

I would also add, post an introduction on the roll call page, if there is a meet and greet the organizer will ask for your contact info so you are invited.

We have been to three of those four ports a number of times. We have certain "go to" places we go at each place. 

Roatan - have used Victor Bodden Tours a number of times. They will go wherever you want to. Island tour, monkeys, sloths, beach, 

Cozumel - We almost always go to Nachi Cocom for the day. Its an all inclusive, not a party crowd, limited to about 130 people. Good food, bar, beach, pool.  www.cozumelnachicocom.com

Cosa Maya - It has to be Maya Chan. Another all inclusive for cruise passengers, owned and operated by a couple from California and their son. Limited to about 60 people a day. Great food, unlimited drinks. www.costamayabeachresort,com

mac_tlc