What to Wear?

katmigordon

9 hours ago, Citizenxnz said:

Just be aware that there are people onboard that love to judge others.

Yep. Let them judge me, I don't give a rat's patootie. I've just bought some new jeans and knit polo shirts to fit me after dropping quite a bit of weight, and I think I look good in them. I will be traveling with just a carry-on for the week so I won't have the space for another pair of shoes or dress clothing. 

I got bamboozled by my sister-in-law when we went on our very first cruise in 2015 with RCL, she said we HAD to have dress clothes for their 2 formal nights as well. I threw a tantrum worthy of a 3 year-old when she told us that, but I went along and took my suit & tie. When I saw people show up in the MDR dressed like beach bums on the first formal night and not be turned away I blew a gasket!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Edited by IndyKid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Not judging, just curious as to why you wear a baseball cap indoors at a restaurant.  Can’t be the sun or the wind or the rain.   Is it a dress baseball cap saved for dining or the sweaty one you wore to the beach? 

God I hate to reply to a post on a fashion thread but….

I have no idea of your age but I know many guys from 70 down to 30 that wear ball caps anytime in public (doesn’t matter if it outside or inside) mostly for the reason….. let me try to say it as politely as I can… they were not born with the genetics to keep a full head of hair. 

Its just that simple so try to cut them some slack if you can. It’s just there personal choice on what they feel more comfortable with. Or, whomever can feel personally assaulted by it. Just wanted to try and explain it.

Cheers

• Like 2

The days of formal wear are definitely gone. I am OK with that. But I was raised and believe to this day that ball caps or any hats do not belong indoors and absolutely not at the dinner table. I know lots of Texans believe it's OK to wear your Stetson. No problem...until you enter a dining room. It's a matter of respect. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:14 PM, katmigordon said:

What do I need to pack to wear in the mdrs?  Is formal night a requirement or a suggestion?  Are there any other themes I should know about on a 7 day Mexican Rivera cruise? 

Here’s what I’ve worn before & easy to pack. 

It’s a suggestion so you can dress up or not. Remember the ship photographers do a 1st class job, I was a professional photographer for 20 years, & enjoy a few photos. 

image.thumb.png.282a5f72ac1c8b93a8b82ca8af2db05c.png

Tom😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IndyKid said:

The polite term is "follically challenged"...

Spot on!! And some people choose to wear "augmented hair" haha, and on a cruise just can't be bothered to put it on just for a dinner, to then be removed to go in the pool/hot tub later.  So a baseball cap is so much easier - and that's exactly what a cruise is all about!

It just illustrates that point that we never really know the full story of what is going on for a stranger.  So my advice - the Judgy Judy's can just head back to their room and cry in their toilet over how upset they are about how others dress lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This has been a popcorn discussion on various threads with many of the main stream cruise lines.  In general, fashion seems to be a little bit more "formal" on the other side of the pond and a little bit more casual on this side.  Caribbean and Mexican Riviera cruises are more laid back and the dress accordingly is more casual.

Wear pants, wear shorts it doesn't really matter.  But, one thing that my father would never allow to be worn at home at the dinner table, let alone in a specialty restaurant is a baseball cap.  Saw this in Sabatini's on the Discovery on a Mexican Riviera cruise in April of 2022.  There was a group of seven with 3 males all in their 20's wearing baseball caps.  Certainly not in their 50's worrying about thinning hair.  

What someone wears is not going to effect how our meal tastes, but it does in fact change the ambiance of a specialty venue.  Baseball caps are against the rules with various lines but it's a crap shoot as to whether it's enforced or not. 

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Almost everyone doesn't seem to care if others wear a hat at breakfast, lunch or dinner so why is it being discussed so adamantly? 

I personally don't have a problem with hats as they sometimes have a good reason for being worn. Enjoy the scenery. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Almost everyone doesn't seem to care if others wear a hat at breakfast, lunch or dinner so why is it being discussed so adamantly? 

I personally don't have a problem with hats as they sometimes have a good reason for being worn. Enjoy the scenery. 

There's a difference regarding where baseball caps are worn.  Anytime in the buffet is fine.  In the MDR for lunch or dinner is passable.  But in a specialty venue for dinner crosses a line, in my opinion.  You pay extra for the food and the ambiance in a specialty venue and wearing a baseball cap 🧢 goes against the flow so to speak and is out of place.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There's a difference regarding where baseball caps are worn.  Anytime in the buffet is fine.  In the MDR for lunch or dinner is passable.  But in a specialty venue for dinner crosses a line, in my opinion.  You pay extra for the food and the ambiance in a specialty venue and wearing a baseball cap 🧢 goes against the flow so to speak and is out of place.

So, in your opinion,  it all depends on how much you pay if it's acceptable or not. I realize that Princess indicates they're not acceptable in their DR's but I can see why they've given up trying to actually enforce the "rule".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So, in your opinion,  it all depends on how much you pay if it's acceptable or not. I realize that Princess indicates they're not acceptable in their DR's but I can see why they've given up trying to actually enforce the "rule".

Has nothing at all about how much you pay.  It's all about the ambiance of the establishment.  There is a difference between eating in the steak house versus other locations. 

There are a certain percentage of cruisers that will push the boundaries whenever possible and more often than not, the cruise lives won't push back because they don't want to make waves.

• Like 2

Just now, CruizinSusan70 said:

There are a certain percentage of cruisers that will push the boundaries whenever possible and more often than not, the cruise lives won't push back because they don't want to make waves.

I think you've answered your own concerns.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

...I personally don't have a problem with hats as they sometimes have a good reason for being worn...

Agree. Poor form to make a comment or criticise. When I see someone with a cap in the MDR, I assume the person has an embarassing scalp infection. Why make the person feel awkward by saying something?

Or they're wearing a cap to defy and invite criticism; play the victim. I'm not going to give them that satisfaction either. Whichever, best to say nothing, but leave it to the staff to handle.

• Like 4

On 11/2/2023 at 2:41 PM, Bgwest said:

With limited exception, “fashion’s finest” have been conspicuously absent. 

Hence, this thread is over a month old with just over 20 posts. 

Out of curiosity, when you dine in your local favorite steak house do you wear your baseball cap towards the front, back or side?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Out of curiosity, when you dine in your local favorite steak house do you wear your baseball cap towards the front, back or side?

Never wear one. At all. Anywhere. Under any circumstances. 
Not that it’s any of your “darn” business. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Broadside said:

Princess disagrees with you , one was quoting directly from their website.

There's a huge difference in what princess publishes and what they actually do on all the ships. From you posts I can see that you really haven't experienced sailing Princess lately.

You certainly can't go wrong by following what you post but those dress up days are a thing of the past for lots of folks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Never wear one. At all. Anywhere. Under any circumstances. 
Not that it’s any of your “darn” business. 

I had mistakenly assumed then that you wore one since you utilized the Haha emoji multiple times in posts that I mentioned the wearing of baseball caps effects the ambiance of an establishment.  The Haha emoji is nice when acknowledging a humor filled post, not so nice when the post contains no humor.

2 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I had mistakenly assumed then that you wore one since you utilized the Haha emoji multiple times in posts that I mentioned the wearing of baseball caps effects the ambiance of an establishment.  The Haha emoji is nice when acknowledging a humor filled post, not so nice when the post contains no humor.

I know what you mean.  May I make a suggestion.  I recently decided, after many years being a member, to utilize the ignore/block feature offered by Cruise Critic.  Just three, all on the Princess board.  Makes navigating the board a much more pleasant pastime.  Of course, still lots of members who agree and disagree and that’s great and the reason we have discussions.  It just eliminates the ones who you find difficult to relate to.  If you need help to find this feature, please just ask. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

You know what happens when you assume!!🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Should infers that it's a suggestion.  If it was "men must bring", that would mean it was mandatory.

Total and complete Nonsense!!🤣🤣

Edited by Bgwest
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I know what you mean.  May I make a suggestion.  I recently decided, after many years being a member, to utilize the ignore/block feature offered by Cruise Critic.  Just three, all on the Princess board.  Makes navigating the board a much more pleasant pastime.  Of course, still lots of members who agree and disagree and that’s great and the reason we have discussions.  It just eliminates the ones who you find difficult to relate to.  If you need help to find this feature, please just ask. 😉

Very useful function. I have 15 on my ignore list. 
You’ll enjoy it. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

and it is a wonderful feature on this site. I have availed myself of it, albeit a short list with only two members in the club. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1