Wheel of Fortune coming to NCL

DeSaxMan13

42 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The ships seem to have no trouble featuring entertainment in only in english.

Absolutely correct.  But you’re missing the point.  Music (shows), numbers (games like Bingo, Deal, Price), knowledge (trivia) are universal. Even if English is my secondary language, I can still find enjoyment in the offering.  

A game like WOF is different.  It is based on a series of phrases and colloquialisms that are likely not used across regions, let alone guessing the English alphabet to complete the phrase. Sounds like a blast for the French traveler who knows about as much English as I know French.

My opinion maybe wrong, if so, I accept my fate.  la responsabilite’ s’arrete 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Can't stand bar bands.  Far too loud. 

The most enjoyable cruise ship entertainment we've experienced was the classical piano on Holland. 

We could actually carry on a conversation there. 

That can be true, some venues are louder than others.  For us, it matters what type of music is being played, and whether we want conversation. 😄

10 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

My opinion maybe wrong, if so, I accept my fate.  la responsabilite’ s’arrete 

You maybe right but I suspect WOF will be popular as many if not most passengers do speak english.

Besides WOF has proven itself to be popular in regions where English is not a first language.

Besides, I doubt WOF will be more than once/twice a cruise.  Nor will it replace the big evening entertainment venues.  More likely something in the after noons on sea days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

That can be true, some venues are louder than others.  For us, it matters what type of music is being played, and whether we want conversation. 😄

I've never known a bar band that doesn't believe that louder is better and the best is amps to the maximum.  Sorry, we prefer conversation.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:26 AM, schmoopie17 said:

That picture is from the Escape, with Jack, the Cruise Director as the "host". 

I'm hoping this won't be replacing Choir of Man, since we're back on the Escape next year and were hoping to see it again. But with NCL's penchant for cost-cutting (for our convenience), who knows...

Love Jack, so much fun

48 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Give me a decent band in a bar, and I'm good for the night.

Other than Choir of Man (where I watch the band above most of the time), Broadway type shows are take it or leave it for me. I just don't understand why it is so important to people, considering the bigger picture.  What are we talking? An hour, a couple times, out of a week?

I completely agree with you! I much prefer a good band in a bar, atrium, anywhere over the production shows but it is getting hard to find a band on NCL ships. Yes, there is a band on the Epic which we will be on but plays in the Cavern and I am not going to get in line an hour early for a tiny venue.  

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Mrs. Schmoopie just told me she saw a post from Jack saying he is leaving the Escape. Didn't say where he's going.

Oh no that's too bad, he really is good I'd love to know which ship.  I did like the assistant crew director and the whole group on that Transatlantic, very good

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The ships seem to have no trouble featuring entertainment in only in english.

Phrases are different. Even among English speaking countries. Most people from the UK would have problems with our phrases just like I will have problems with theirs. And God forbid if it had something to do with English humor which I still don't understand.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Phrases are different. Even among English speaking countries. Most people from the UK would have problems with our phrases just like I will have problems with theirs. And God forbid if it had something to do with English humor which I still don't understand.

WOF is popular in 13 countries outside the US.  

I suspect the opposition to WOF is a belief that WOF will replace some of the big evening entertainment shows.  

36 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

WOF is popular in 13 countries outside the US.  

I suspect the opposition to WOF is a belief that WOF will replace some of the big evening entertainment shows.  

@yakcruiser thank you!!

WOF is popular in 13 countries outside the US.  But within those countries the show is broadcast in their native language using their own phrases.  Just because it’s popular globally doesn’t mean an English version will be globally popular.

Just now, laudergayle said:

@yakcruiser thank you!!

WOF is popular in 13 countries outside the US.  But within those countries the show is broadcast in their native language using their own phrases.  Just because it’s popular globally doesn’t mean an English version will be globally popular.

it doesn't have to be globally popular. It only has to apeal to those on the ship, the majority of whom speak English.  

2 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

You have such high hopes. Given past experiences I find that most thinking it will replace the evening entertainment to be more accurate. But time will tell, we are all guessing.

Maybe so! But what makes this sound different than Deal or No Deal that 99% of you are convinced it’s going to be in the evening production slot?

I acknowledge Price is Right seems to be muddying the waters. But in its defense I enjoyed that quite a bit. My gut reaction was exactly the same until I saw the picture and heard they are selling cards. It’s exactly Deal or No Deal in a different skin.

On an unrelated note I am equally ‘eager’ to hear about replacements. Six and Footlose were probably cost driven. But how does NCL save money getting rid of What the World Needs Now on the Star? The production cast still has two other shows - I assume they aren’t being paid Fee for Service. I assume this is true of all the other older ship shows too.

I just saw What the World Needs Now. It’s likely cancelled because it’s easily the most ancient feeling of the three production numbers and likely has the worst guest reviews. But I doubt it was canceled to save on a few costumes and give their cast an extra day off.

6 minutes ago, BrianLo said:

just saw What the World Needs Now. It’s likely cancelled because it’s easily the most ancient feeling of the three production numbers and likely has the worst guest reviews. But I doubt it was canceled to save on a few costumes and give their cast an extra day off.

That…and probably Licensing Fees.  Why pay $$ in License Fees for a tired show when you can produce your own theatrical performances across the fleet.  In the past the NCL talent auditions focused on finding talent for their specific productions (like Footloose, COM, etc).  Now the are very generalized, yet requiring multiple abilities.  Dancers who can dance multiple styles, along with gymnastics. Singers who can sing various genres and dance.  It’s just taking time for these acts to come together.  And, they are auditioning for Game Show Hosts and Game Show Supervisors.  

24 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

That…and probably Licensing Fees.  Why pay $$ in License Fees for a tired show when you can produce your own theatrical performances across the fleet.  In the past the NCL talent auditions focused on finding talent for their specific productions (like Footloose, COM, etc).  Now the are very generalized, yet requiring multiple abilities.  Dancers who can dance multiple styles, along with gymnastics. Singers who can sing various genres and dance.  It’s just taking time for these acts to come together.  And, they are auditioning for Game Show Hosts and Game Show Supervisors.  

Aren’t the majority of their cancelled shows  in house productions? I actually don’t know this with confidence, but what the world needs now seemed very in house to me. Just a review of some Burt Bacharach songs.

Swing, World Beat, Velvet, Showdown I all thought were also just in house things. With only footloose and SIX being the odd ones out.

Edited by BrianLo

8 minutes ago, BrianLo said:

Aren’t the majority of their cancelled shows  in house productions? I actually don’t know this with confidence, but what the world needs now seemed very in house to me. Just a review of some Burt Bacharach songs.

Swing, World Beat, Velvet, Showdown I all thought were also just in house things. With only footloose and SIX being the odd ones out.

Footloose, Choir of Men, SIX, Jersey Boys, Donna Summer, Beetlejuice, What The World Needs Now, Swing, Velvet are musicals produced in-house, but have licensing fees.  NCL does have some of their own productions, especially on smaller ships, that do not have licensing fees. One I am familiar with is Blazing Boots on the Jade (not to be confused with Kinky Boots which was a licensed musical).

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianLo said:

But how does NCL save money getting rid of What the World Needs Now on the Star?

I sat through "what the world needs now" on the Sun.  It was awful.  Not the original music, just the presentation.  I said as much on my post cruise survey.  I've seen others on the forum express similar thoughts.  Enough negative feedback, and it's cancelled even if it doesn't save a dime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Give me a decent band in a bar, and I'm good for the night.

Other than Choir of Man (where I watch the band above most of the time), Broadway type shows are take it or leave it for me. I just don't understand why it is so important to people, considering the bigger picture.  What are we talking? An hour, a couple times, out of a week?

I enjoy the production shows and Broadway shows a lot because it is something that I do not get near my home. It is one of the things that make cruising worth it for me. I like that I can get there early and get good seats that would be very expensive if I went to the show on land. There are many places I can go locally to hear a band.

One of the other things I like about cruising is being able to have the shows in addition to the other live music through out the ship. Wheel of Fortune could be a fun event as long as it is free like Price is Right and is not meant to replace a production show. I do not know why some people assume there will be a charge.

I also understand that cruise lines need to replace shows periodically to keep things interesting, and offer a variety of events to appeal to different tastes.

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I sat through "what the world needs now" on the Sun.  It was awful.  Not the original music, just the presentation.  

LOL! To me it was the other way round watching it on Star: One Bacharach song now and then can be very nice. 10 in a row shine a light on how... (can't find the right word)...boring?... they are. If it hadn't been for the cast doing a good job I would have been tempted to walk out halfway.

Licensing and cast talent can be used better on something else.

(Maybe not being American makes a difference. Although well-known Burt Bacharach has never been a huge name over here.)

4 hours ago, Asawi said:

LOL! To me it was the other way round watching it on Star: One Bacharach song now and then can be very nice. 10 in a row shine a light on how... (can't find the right word)...boring?... they are. If it hadn't been for the cast doing a good job I would have been tempted to walk out halfway.

Licensing and cast talent can be used better on something else.

(Maybe not being American makes a difference. Although well-known Burt Bacharach has never been a huge name over here.)

Yeah, I can see that.  I probably didn't really make a clear distinction at the time.  It was just one of those things were 15 minutes in I'm looking for an excuse to escape.  As it turns out, DW and DD shared my same opinion, so we could have bailed and I wouldn't have been the party-pooper (again). 🤣

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Haha 1