Live the QM2 Back to Back NYC to Quebec

misguy

I am not complaining about people reading, I love to read as well, but on a cruise I am more likely to be looking for more active type of activities.  I have no objection to what other people do.  There is a very limited number of main courses on the menu.  To put it in perspective, this is our 23rd cruise since the end of the Pandemic, and we have sailed across most lines.  

Most of the lines we have sailed on, you have a much more extensive choice of items in every category on the menu.  The service on board has been good, but it is comparable to what we have received on the other cruise lines.  The one exception is the readiness of the staff in the buffet to assist my wife who use a walker.  On most other lines some one is always eager to help my wife, but here in most cases the only time she has received assistance is when the manager has seen here and he always immediately directs a staff member to help.

The cruise hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been great either, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, It may be that based on the marketing I had a overblown expectation of what this cruise would be like.

4 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Both. My comparison is present day to pre-COVID. Grilled fish is still available most days, I’ve had the trout and salmon and both were good.

I would say that the fish has been the stand out entree at every meal.  I am not sure why but we have liked the lunch menu much better than the evening menu.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, misguy said:

I would say that the fish has been the stand out entree at every meal.  I am not sure why but we have liked the lunch menu much better than the evening menu.

Thank you, was wondering if I should eat l lunch before boarding this afternoon!  I understand, sometimes it’s just not as great.  Hopefully, there are other things to do…

23 minutes ago, renji said:

Thank you, was wondering if I should eat l lunch before boarding this afternoon!  I understand, sometimes it’s just not as great.  Hopefully, there are other things to do…

I'm not a QM2 fan [the actual ship/ daily activities and the food have been great] but I am in a very small minority so bear in mind, all opinions are subjective. Go with an open mind and enjoy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm not a QM2 fan [the actual ship/ daily activities and the food have been great] but I am in a very small minority so bear in mind, all opinions are subjective. Go with an open mind and enjoy.

I’m generally happy just to cruise (even on NCL and RCCL) so actually like them all. I loved Victoria the best for vice, size, service etc, but the QM2 is my favorite gym/spa and the only disco I enjoy (G32 > Yacht Club) so even if it’s downhill since I was last there (2019!), I’ll just focus on what I love and get over the rest. I’m grateful for the reviews because happiness results from managed expectations 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, misguy said:

I am not complaining about people reading, I love to read as well, but on a cruise I am more likely to be looking for more active type of activities.  I have no objection to what other people do.  There is a very limited number of main courses on the menu.  To put it in perspective, this is our 23rd cruise since the end of the Pandemic, and we have sailed across most lines.  

Most of the lines we have sailed on, you have a much more extensive choice of items in every category on the menu.  The service on board has been good, but it is comparable to what we have received on the other cruise lines.  The one exception is the readiness of the staff in the buffet to assist my wife who use a walker.  On most other lines some one is always eager to help my wife, but here in most cases the only time she has received assistance is when the manager has seen here and he always immediately directs a staff member to help.

The cruise hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been great either, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, It may be that based on the marketing I had a overblown expectation of what this cruise would be like.

I agree. Cunard’s marketing material has too much fancy wordage that often overpromises and,  at times, under-delivers. Showing a Cunard ship full of well-dressed and active millennials may be  the audience that Cunard is aiming for but usually far from the reality on the ship.
But overhyped marketing is not confined just to Cunard…For the record, I like the calm and quiet elegance on Cunard ships. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Both. My comparison is present day to pre-COVID. Grilled fish is still available most days, I’ve had the trout and salmon and both were good.

Avoid the Arctic Char (I think that’s what it is called), a very dull fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Avoid the Arctic Char (I think that’s what it is called), a very dull fish.

I’m a pescatarian so might be limited…but perhaps they will accommodate with something fresh throughout the week.  

1 minute ago, renji said:

I’m a pescatarian so might be limited…but perhaps they will accommodate with something fresh throughout the week.  

Well, there is always a fish dish on the menu of the day, sometimes two. On an average voyage, within a week, I have encounter salmon, cod, orange roughy, the dread Arctic char, halibut, Dover sole, lemon sole, and turbot, trout, and possibly haddock. Admittedly some of these were on the QG alc, but you should still have a reasonable choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I noticed very little substantive difference in Britannia food on QV six weeks ago compared to QM2 in 2018.

But as I have frequently stated on these boards I believe Cunard’s overhyped marketing does them no favors in the end.

Yes, I've been looking through my past menus, mainly from Britannia, plus a few free upgrades to PG. And in Britannia it's been 5 main course entrées for many years pre-pandemic. There was that old Royal Spa selection, which I never understood, but that's gone and represents a reduction in choice. But there were usually 5 or 6 main course items. Currently it's 5. For as long as I can recall, 2 of the dishes were vegetarian, one these days tends to be vegan+gluten free. One fish dish, one meat dish and one other meat-fish item. I guess we don't see lobster so frequently, and it's more likely pheasant than duckling, but perfectly good options unless you are a fussy eater and not keen on the vegetarian options. The dessert menu is down a bit in terms of number of options.

I guess it is fair to point out that Cunard doesn't give a huge range of options compared to other companies. I went on my first Fred. Olsen a few weeks back and there were about 12 separate entrées items. They don't hide their "always available" options (5 items), there is a regional meal item, plus a British Dish of the Day (their clientele is 90% plus from the UK) plus the day's 5 items. 4 of the 12 items were vegetarian.

We just moved into our PG accessible room, and the room is very nice.  We will see what is offered in the menu for tonight.  I am just very active and love to have good rock music on a ship.  I am 70, and that is what I grew up with.  We will not hestate to sail on the ship for transatlantic trips, since my wife's health prevents her from flying trans Atlantic except in a lay flat seat.  The cruise is less expensive.

We just got off the ship today, and it was an hour from the ship to LGA airport.  The Princess Grill is definitely an upgrade from Britannia.  The food was much better and many more options.  There was a second page to the menu that had Filet, and other options on a daily basis.  The items that changed were also much better.  I will still say that the steaks onboard were not as good as most other ships or restaurants.  One factor might be that they were always served with gravy, and I never eat a steak with gravy on it. 

Most of the entertainment was not appealing to me.  I am not a big band or symphony fan, there was one duo that played contemporary music.  The comedian was hysterical.  He might have been one of the best we have seen in all our cruises.

I have photos of the daily sheets and menus, and when I get to our hotel tonight I will try to start posting them.  The internet north of Cape Breton was almost useless, and in our PG grill cabin it was unusable unless the door was open, and then only marginally usable.  In the public areas it worked well.  I was able to find power and tables on deck two in the area forward where they have the puzzles and games.  There was also power in the Kings Court.  For all of those you will need a power adaptor. 

There were scooters for rent in Sydney at the dock, and it would have been great if they were available in Saguenay, Montreal, and Boston, all of those ports would be easier with a scooter than with a walker.

We cleared immigration in Boston and customs in Brooklyn, and it was walk past them.  

• Like 4

Interesting misguy

I think having gravy served with your steak is quite unusual, unless that's another 'divided by a common language ' difference.

I'm not a great one for  sauces and am not used to gravy unless it's with a roast dinner. If I have any sauce eg peppercorn, I always ask for it 'on the side' and any actual gravy is served by the waiter from the gravy boat.

We were in Quebec for a few nights starting last Saturday when QM2 was still in port.
qm2inquebec.thumb.jpg.3269d225b3a5cba140377670473989a7.jpgWe plan to be aboard during the late November Caribbean trip so it was nice to point out some features of the ship to my friend who will be with me.,

• Like 3

• 2 months later...