Some Basic Questions

pappy1022

I am looking at booking a Paul Gauguin cruise to French Polynesia. As background, I have always cruised with high end cruise lines Regent, Crystal and Oceania. Here are my basic questions to try an get a feel for what Paul Gauguin cruises are like:

- what are the demographics of a typical cruise, e.g. nationalities, age range, etc.?

- what is the dress code?

- comments on best itineraries and length of cruise including don’t miss ports?

- is a cabin with a veranda a must?

- best months to cruise this area?

- can shipboard credits be used for port excursions? 

- are there any benefits to book a cabin at a certain level? For example, on Regent if you book a concierge cabin or above you get included hotel stay, early access to select specialty dining venues and shore excursions as well as business class air.

- anything else I should consider?

Thank you for your responses and insight into Paul Gauguin cruises.

Demographics vary by cruise. Longer itineraries tend to have more French passengers. 7, 10 & 11 tend to be majority American with sizable amounts of Canadian, Australian and New Zealanders. Plus many other countries.

Dress code is Elegant Casual (men in trousers with button shirts, ladies in dresses or slacks &  blouses). FOR DINNER. During the day, just not bathing suites in dining rooms. 

We have been on 16 sailings and usually do ten days. We also like 11's (Cook Islands) and have done one 14 day Marquesas sailing. Seven days is too short. Marquesas is is great, but sea days are not always friendly to a small draft ship. It is at its best in lagoons of the Societies.

For us (you may be different), we spend little time on veranda as the upper deck is so close, so we spend all our time there. You will find many repeaters on Deck 4 (window stateroom).

Much disagreement about best month to travel. I am sure others will offer their opinions, but we tend to go in June-August. That is winter in the south pacific, but it is only about 2 degrees cooler and there is less weather. That means that the waterfalls might be less spectacular, but it is also a bit less humid. Next year, we are going in April. So...go figure.   All months are great and all months will have SOME rainy days (maybe for an hour or two).

You can use shipboard credits for excursions. Sometimes if you book them ahead, they charge your CC. Check with PG to verify.

No Concierge perks like Regent (we had a Penthouse on the Splendor last year and got several perks).

Make a reservation for dinner in Le Grill and La Veranda (Lke Regent's Seti Mari) the minute you walk on board. You might be able to make another later in the cruise if it is more than 7 days.

Remember that it was a Regent ship during it's early years and many of the crew have been on board for much of it's 25 year run. 

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Edited by MotuIslander
  • Thanks 1

I’ll add a few thoughts. Like you, I prefer the “luxury” lines - Regent, Crystal, Oceania. I’ve also cruised Windstar, Celebrity and a few other lesser lines. I’ve done PG cruises both when it was a Regent ship, and when it was a standalone cruise line (before Ponant bought it). In my view, the PG sits right up there with the best…but it’s a different experience. It’s head and shoulders above the mass-market lines. 

I’ve seen some high-end-line cruisers complain that the ship isn’t as luxurious as what they are used to, and I do understand their point…it’s an older ship, and some may feel the decor is lacking the luxury factor. But it’s important to remember that these cruises are not about the ship, but the destination. The ship is purpose-built for sailing these waters and going to tiny islands and into shallow lagoons that most cruise ships can’t get into. The decor, entertainment, and vibe is purely French Polynesia, and you will feel immersed in it. Which I love! It’s such a unique destination, and it’s wonderful to experience such immersion. On other cruise lines, when you are on the ship you could be anywhere in the world. When you are on the PG you know exactly where you are at every moment. 

Food is always subjective, but in my experience it has been just as excellent as any of the luxury lines I’ve cruised. It does focus more on fresh fish, French cuisine and local foods, and it won’t be as creative or picture-perfect as you’ll find on, say, Crystal (which I’ve read has really stepped up its game since its relaunch, with Michelin-worthy dining…I’ll find out next year!) 

On my cruises the passengers were a pretty good mix of your typical older, well-traveled luxury-line cruiser along with some honeymooners (it is a bucket-list destination) and active people (its scuba program is unparalleled). I’ve heard there are more French pax since the Ponant purchase… I’ll find out next month!

The one area they truly excel is service. If you are a Crystal fan, you’ll feel right at home - the service is friendly, personal and professional without being overbearing. 

I agree that 7 days is just too short. I’ve done the Cook Islands, Tuomotus and the Marquesas - all itineraries are wonderful, I can’t pick a favorite! This time I’m on a ten-day Society-Tuomotus itinerary - if you are a scuba diver, that’s the one to pick IMO. The diving in the Tuomotus is world-class. 

Verandas are such a personal choice. I don’t bother…I spend so much time on deck enjoying the beautiful views and excellent service that I would rarely use one. 

I am using my OBC for an excursion and for a spa massage. 😁 I booked my excursions a few weeks ago and I haven’t been charged. 

It’s been a while since I was last on this ship, so I’m sure others who have been on more recently can offer other perspectives. I can’t wait for my cruise! 

As for dress code, it will definitely be more casual than the other luxury lines. You will see no gowns or tuxes, and very few if any sequins. Sun dresses and Hawaiian shirts rule the balmy evenings. 😉

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to follow up on this one if I may.  We've done three PG cruises and loved every one of them. They were all pre-Ponant. We moved over to Seabourn for a change of venue and because we wanted to avoid being on a 'French first' ship. The comments about the shorter vs longer cruises are interesting. We would tend toward longer ones since we have covered the shorter cruise venues, including Cook Islands.  If someone has been on one of the longer cruises could they elaborate as to how much of a French experience they had please?

The first PG we did was a 7-day, but we did a 4-night pre-cruise to an island.  That's a compromise.  I do like the 10 and 11-day itineraries, however. Or you could do a b2b with 2 7-day cruises (something that we've done.)

The Society Islands as a whole are the most interesting and satisfying, and can be done twice easily (we've done 4 7-nights over the years).  The Tuamotus are good for snorkeling and diving.  The Marquesas are very remote and are beautiful and mysterious, but hard to get to.  

Almost all the cabins on the PG are small.  Most cabins are the C balconies, just marginally larger than the window or porthole cabins, so we tended to do the window cabin.  They are very well laid-out.  Bathrooms are small.  The A and B penthouses on the same deck as the pool deck (8?) are nice, a wee bit bigger, but otherwise probably not worth the price except for the location and the butler, and the few "named cabins" are bigger but probably underwhelming to anyone used to a named suite on Regent.  Frankly, we spent very little time in the cabins on the PG, because there's nice outdoor common areas on the ship.  

• Like 1

Thanks Wendy. I also follow your posts on the Regent site. We’ve decided to go with a Paul Gauguin 10 day cruise and will add a couple of days on land. We did choose a window cabin on deck 4. I know it won’t be like Regent accommodations but we are looking forward to this cruise. Now I have to figure out the air reservations. Although Regent includes more, it is 2X-3X the price and I just can’t justify that much of a difference. I also believe that Paul Gauguin will give us a better experience because the areas it can get to that a big ship can’t. I also believe that we will get a better feel for the culture and the people by choosing Paul Gauguin. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I believe from all of my research. I cruise for the destination first and the shipboard experiences and accommodations second. Thank you for all of your comments on both boards. I value your thoughts and comments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

I also believe that Paul Gauguin will give us a better experience because the areas it can get to that a big ship can’t. I also believe that we will get a better feel for the culture and the people by choosing Paul Gauguin. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I believe from all of my research. I cruise for the destination first and the shipboard experiences and accommodations second.

You’re not wrong! You are definitely going in with the right expectations. Have a great cruise! Mine leaves in exactly one month. 😁

The French like the 14 night Marquesas itinerary. As they fly a long way and have 30 days of vacation time they prefer the longer cruises. PG has focused the summer months with many 14 night runs just for the French ... figure 2/3 of the ship will be French on the 14 night cruise and yes you will notice the difference ... more French influence ... North Americans are typically a bit more casual and easy going. nuff said ... 

Been on the PG 16 times ... I prefer the 10 and 11 night itineraries. 

Service is the best we've had on any ship. Though the ship is 25 years old she has been kept up well with frequent drydocks. 

Though Regent has big cabins I don't consider the PG small ... actually larger than some other lines.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

53 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The French like the 14 night Marquesas itinerary. As they fly a long way and have 30 days of vacation time they prefer the longer cruises. PG has focused the summer months with many 14 night runs just for the French ... figure 2/3 of the ship will be French on the 14 night cruise and yes you will notice the difference ... more French influence ... North Americans are typically a bit more casual and easy going. nuff said ... 

Been on the PG 16 times ... I prefer the 10 and 11 night itineraries. 

Service is the best we've had on any ship. Though the ship is 25 years old she has been kept up well with frequent drydocks. 

Though Regent has big cabins I don't consider the PG small ... actually larger than some other lines.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks 😊 

17 hours ago, shrkdive1 said:

We just completed the 14 day Marquesas trip and there were 220 French.

This was our 2nd cruise; the first being a 10 day Tuamotus cruise where there were mainly Americans, Canadians and Australians

Actually the count was 307 total passengers, 215 were French 😁

23 hours ago, shrkdive1 said:

We just completed the 14 day Marquesas trip and there were 220 French.

This was our 2nd cruise; the first being a 10 day Tuamotus cruise where there were mainly Americans, Canadians and Australians

6 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Actually the count was 307 total passengers, 215 were French 😁

Did the large number of Francophones affect the experience for Anglophone guests?

I would say the biggest thing we saw was that the French did not participate much in the daily onboard activities such as lectures by the Guaquins and also planned activities such as bingo, trivia and wine tastings.  Many of these were ultimately canceled due to lack of participation.

Also, most loud speaker announcements were first in French followed by English.  I know a bit of French and could tell the French announcements were very detailed while the English version was truncated with just the bare minimum of information.

We attended a "cultural" discussion by the Guaguins where they talked about life on the various islands.  It was really interesting to hear about their school systems, medical treatment, family life, etc. Sadly my wife and I were the only ones in attendance.  I felt bad for the Guaguins as it seemed other guests were not that interested in their culture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know I can call Paul Gauguin and ask this question, but I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced the departure day package that Paul Gauguin offers. I'd be interested in opinions on what you thought of it. It's not cheap so just wondering if it is worth the $$$$.

Also, since there will be a long wait time at the Papeete airport prior to the midnight flight home are there any restaurants in the airport to get a bite to eat in the evening before boarding?

Thank you

15 hours ago, Hailee said:

I know I can call Paul Gauguin and ask this question, but I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced the departure day package that Paul Gauguin offers. I'd be interested in opinions on what you thought of it. It's not cheap so just wondering if it is worth the $$$$.

Also, since there will be a long wait time at the Papeete airport prior to the midnight flight home are there any restaurants in the airport to get a bite to eat in the evening before boarding?

Thank you

Check your roll call 😉

• 1 month later...