Evening return flight - what happens in between disembarkation and flight?

amurray88

Hi all,

We got our flight times through and our return flight is at 5:10pm. I presume we still disembark at the usual 8/9am? Does the transfer take you to the airport at this time? Or do P&O have different plans for that day? Thank you for all the answers to questions!

14 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Hi all,

We got our flight times through and our return flight is at 5:10pm. I presume we still disembark at the usual 8/9am? Does the transfer take you to the airport at this time? Or do P&O have different plans for that day? Thank you for all the answers to questions!

You have to vacate your cabin at the same time as other passengers but can stay on the ship and use the public facilities including the restaurants, or come and go as you please, until it is time for you to be taken to the airport. There is usually somewhere you can leave your hand luggage safely until it is time to leave, or sometimes as an alternative you can book a day cabin at an extra cost.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Denarius said:

You have to vacate your cabin at the same time as other passengers but can stay on the ship and use the public facilities including the restaurants, or come and go as you please, until it is time for you to be taken to the airport. There is usually somewhere you can leave your hand luggage safely until it is time to leave, or sometimes as an alternative you can book a day cabin at an extra cost.

It might seem a daft question...but, if our flight is at 5pm, what time will the transfer normally drop us at the airport for? Any idea? Thank you!

Thank you for asking- I am a P&O newbie. our flight has just moved to early evening (Tenerife 12 January) and I was wondering what happens. The airport has restaurants etc. but  I cannot find a left luggage facility, so this would mean having luggage with us..

I hope the chance to stay in public areas on the ship until they transfer us is offered.

10 hours ago, amurray88 said:

It might seem a daft question...but, if our flight is at 5pm, what time will the transfer normally drop us at the airport for? Any idea? Thank you!

Probably leave the ship at about 2pm arriving at the airport by 3pm, but it could be up to an hour or so earlier depending on other flight timings. If you are on a scheduled flight the check in at the airport usually opens between two and two and a half hours before your flight. If you are on a charter your luggage is taken direct to your flight and you do not see it after putting it outsde your cabin until you pick it up at your destination airport - so don't pack anything in it that you might want to retreive before then!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Probably leave the ship at about 2pm arriving at the airport by 3pm, but it could be up to an hour or so earlier depending on other flight timings. If you are on a scheduled flight the check in at the airport usually opens between two and two and a half hours before your flight. If you are on a charter your luggage is taken direct to your flight and you do not see it after putting it outsde your cabin until you pick it up at your destination airport - so don't pack anything in it that you might want to retreive before then!

Very useful info about bags - thank you!

No problem about the timings - we get free lounge access so just wanted to check if we have enough time to use it.

Thank you again, much appreciated!

3 hours ago, waggie said:

Thank you for asking- I am a P&O newbie. our flight has just moved to early evening (Tenerife 12 January) and I was wondering what happens. The airport has restaurants etc. but  I cannot find a left luggage facility, so this would mean having luggage with us..

I hope the chance to stay in public areas on the ship until they transfer us is offered.

Can I check,when you say they've just moved your flight...was it already scheduled for a certain time and they've now changed the time? If so, can I ask, what date are you going and what city are you flying into afterwards?

Thanks!

Anthony

20 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Can I check,when you say they've just moved your flight...was it already scheduled for a certain time and they've now changed the time? If so, can I ask, what date are you going and what city are you flying into afterwards?

Thanks!

Anthony

Hi, we are flying London Gatwick to Tenerife Jet2 charter  on 5th. and returning on 12th. - both times later than original. Notification from our TA yesterday, but I had discovered it on Saturday when I selected my seats. Already booked parking so had to change that too- no use planning ahead!

4 minutes ago, waggie said:

Hi, we are flying London Gatwick to Tenerife Jet2 charter  on 5th. and returning on 12th. - both times later than original. Notification from our TA yesterday, but I had discovered it on Saturday when I selected my seats. Already booked parking so had to change that too- no use planning ahead!

Oh, I'm on the same flight.

I have the flight times as 11:25 leaving London and 17:10 leaving Tenerife, is this correct?

Just now, amurray88 said:

Oh, I'm on the same flight.

I have the flight times as 11:25 leaving London and 17:10 leaving Tenerife, is this correct?

I've got to say, I'm disappointed with the departure time flying out of London, I was hoping for much earlier but I guess if it's the same flight then what I would have gained on day 1 I would have lost on day 7.

Hi, yes, they are the new times. It was 09.30 out, and 14.50 back. Late evening return is not great, so hoping we don’t have to hang around at the airport all day.

Also jet2 from Stansted would be better!

See you there!

Ruth

1 minute ago, waggie said:

Hi, yes, they are the new times. It was 09.30 out, and 14.50 back. Late evening return is not great, so hoping we don’t have to hang around at the airport all day.

Also jet2 from Stansted would be better!

See you there!

Ruth

Thanks Ruth! Agreed, an earlier start would have suited me much better.

Good point, on our Barbados departure we can stay onboard on our last day until they call us in the afternoon, but if you can use your drinks package on that day how would you settle your bill, I cant see loads of people headind down to reception to pay their billd just before leaving for the airport.

2 minutes ago, Harvey1976 said:

I wasnt sure how it would work as you use your drinks package on day 1 and pay for the amount of days of the cruise which does not include disembarkation day.

My gut instinct is that this would be ok.

On most cruises it includes the last morning for the likes of coffees, fresh orange etc so I think you'll be fine to use it.

The drinks package "no alcohol on last day" policy only kicks in for cruises ending in Southampton: If your cruise ends in the UK, customs restrictions require that only non-alcoholic drinks are available once the ship has entered UK waters prior to disembarkation

Drinks-packages-Terms-and-Conditions-2023- (1).pdf

Edited by Mike Senior
add file
  • Like 1

This is a really helpful thread, thank you. We are booked in azura next year and I was (and still at) disappointed by flight times as we get there late and leave late. So it’s good to hear we can stay on the ship on the last day and use the facilities. In terms of food on that last day, is it just the buffet you can use? And do you know when you get told about transfer times? Really glad to hear they handle the luggage too! 

On 10/4/2023 at 12:23 PM, Cash123 said:

Good point, on our Barbados departure we can stay onboard on our last day until they call us in the afternoon, but if you can use your drinks package on that day how would you settle your bill, I cant see loads of people headind down to reception to pay their billd just before leaving for the airport.

Just wondering. If we book The Retreat are we able to use that on our last day does anyone know until we leave for the airport?

35 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just wondering. If we book The Retreat are we able to use that on our last day does anyone know until we leave for the airport?

Even if you were able to use the retreat  would it be worthwhile, with a flight at 5:00pm your transfer to the airport is likely to be about 2:00pm