Possible solution to reduce TV noise between cabins---Oceania management--PLEASE READ

zteamtwo

I was on the thread with Dr Koob about his Vista current cruise and the subject of TV noise came up. Decided to start this new thread. Amazon has two simple devices to divert the sound coming from the back or downward facing speakers and redirect it toward the front of the TV.  I am going to buy them and test before I go in January.   Some people said to use "Command strips" (leave no residue) to attach. I do like my TV a little loud (I am 80) and hope this will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Passive-Amplifier-Set-Audiophiles/dp/B09TQ23FKC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3JHS7FO43UTBD&keywords=sound+deflectors+for+smart+tv&qid=1696610701&sprefix=sound+deflectors+for+smart+tv%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/KARE-TurboScoops-Alternative-Redirects-Directly/dp/B09HCPPZ3P/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3JHS7FO43UTBD&keywords=sound+deflectors+for+smart+tv&qid=1696611778&sprefix=sound+deflectors+for+smart+tv%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-4

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

I was on the thread with Dr Koob about his Vista current cruise and the subject of TV noise came up. Decided to start this new thread. Amazon has two simple devices to divert the sound coming from the back or downward facing speakers and redirect it toward the front of the TV.  I am going to buy them and test before I go in January.   Some people said to use "Command strips" (leave no residue) to attach. I do like my TV a little loud (I am 80) and hope this will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Passive-Amplifier-Set-Audiophiles/dp/B09TQ23FKC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3JHS7FO43UTBD&keywords=sound+deflectors+for+smart+tv&qid=1696610701&sprefix=sound+deflectors+for+smart+tv%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/KARE-TurboScoops-Alternative-Redirects-Directly/dp/B09HCPPZ3P/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3JHS7FO43UTBD&keywords=sound+deflectors+for+smart+tv&qid=1696611778&sprefix=sound+deflectors+for+smart+tv%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-4

13 minutes ago, vlthom said:

I have certainly heard the television in adjacent cabins aboard other O vessels.  It really just depends upon the passengers and itinerary.  Some itineraries leave little time for watching television.  Some like or need the volume louder than others.

Good thing I leave honey at home when I cruise. He “forgets” to use his hearing aids, and when I walk in the door, TV is blasting! No neighbors close by us …….

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Good thing I leave honey at home when I cruise. He “forgets” to use his hearing aids, and when I walk in the door, TV is blasting! No neighbors close by us …….

DH likes the TV louder than I choose to have it.  He suffers from some hearing loss but won’t get hearing aids.  At home, we use the closed captioning.  He doesn’t mind reading the dialog.  Unfortunately, we’ve been unable to turn that feature on the tv when sailing.  It seems as if the O demographic might benefit from having it be available to use.

• Like 5

These are all good comments.  I hope Oceania is listening. Another solution would be to give us a headset that would connect to the TV wirelessly and alter the TV settings so this could work.    Right now you can not do that. OCEANIA-----most of your cruisers are well over age 60.  TAKE CARE OF OUR NEEDS!! This might reduce the complaints they get about TV noise.

37 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

All easily fixed if folks who need hearing aids would use them.

Ditto; or be so polite if you refuse to get/wear them to just leave the tv sound off to benefit your fellow passengers. 

Be nice if there was a general kill switch for all TVs between say 22:00-06:00.

• Like 3

Why are you guys afraid to put some pressure on Oceania to fix the problem?  Hearing aids are ok, but, there are things Oceania could do!  See above posts.   We pay for a premium product---we have the right to ask the cruise line for some simple fixes to correct the TV noise!

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

All easily fixed if folks who need hearing aids would use them.

It might actually be considered discriminatory to disable closed captioning as deaf people would require it.

15 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Why are you guys afraid to put some pressure on Oceania to fix the problem?  Hearing aids are ok, but, there are things Oceania could do!  See above posts.   We pay for a premium product---we have the right to ask the cruise line for some simple fixes to correct the TV noise!

Perhaps you haven’t noticed but, when you turn on an O TV, the volume is set quite low yet is audible for many folks who have no hearing issues. I consider it a passive reminder to be considerate of your neighbors and/or to wear your hearing aid(s).

• Like 1

I just got off the Regatta and I was shocked how little I heard from either one of the adjoining rooms. I heard no voices, no toilet flushing or tv sound. So either those neighbors were very quiet or the construction of the staterooms was well insulated. I have been on other cruises where we hear  TVs , loud conversations and  toilets flushing, so I thought sound insulation was very good, except in the hallway, where it sounded like people were literally in our room. Luckily we did not have people having conversations in the hallway at night , so no issue with sleep. My husband noticed that there was no gasket around the door, and believe it was only our door that was missing that. 

2 hours ago, bobolz said:

I just got off the Regatta and I was shocked how little I heard from either one of the adjoining rooms. I heard no voices, no toilet flushing or tv sound. So either those neighbors were very quiet or the construction of the staterooms was well insulated. I have been on other cruises where we hear  TVs , loud conversations and  toilets flushing, so I thought sound insulation was very good, except in the hallway, where it sounded like people were literally in our room. Luckily we did not have people having conversations in the hallway at night , so no issue with sleep. My husband noticed that there was no gasket around the door, and believe it was only our door that was missing that. 

I think most of the noise complaints have been about the new Vista.  Except for connecting rooms, there have been few complaints about the R ships or the O ships.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think most of the noise complaints have been about the new Vista.  Except for connecting rooms, there have been few complaints about the R ships or the O ships.

We have typically sailed in A category staterooms.  Noise from others has not been especially bad however there have always been a lot of slamming doors which I found disturbing.  For our current sailing, we are in a PH and there is almost no noise whatsoever.  It’s amazingly quiet.  I am not sure how to account for this.

To me it always seems strange that there is no facility or instructions to bluetooth your own headset/AirPods to the tv! 

On another note, I find as I got older, not that my hearing is impaired, I prefer dramas etc to have the subtitles at the bottom as frequently the speech is unclear, I also sometimes have to select that option with Scottish made dramas in case I miss something important!

When my DH was alive I used to pester him with questions such as what did they say, spin back I didn't get that, you know the drill!!! Now I am on my own with no-one to ask I rely on this service and really miss when it is not offered as an option. I have become adapt at ignoring them until required, with an occasional glance down.

News, documentaries etc are not such a problem where elocution is more prevalent, though it does help when they are speaking to people with poor command of English.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, vlthom said:

DH likes the TV louder than I choose to have it.  He suffers from some hearing loss but won’t get hearing aids.  At home, we use the closed captioning.  He doesn’t mind reading the dialog.  Unfortunately, we’ve been unable to turn that feature on the tv when sailing.  It seems as if the O demographic might benefit from having it be available to use.

I agree. We were trying to find some way to turn that on last night. But the remote we have does not allow you to access the TV menu, only the Oceania menu.

7 hours ago, vlthom said:

We have typically sailed in A category staterooms.  Noise from others has not been especially bad however there have always been a lot of slamming doors which I found disturbing.  For our current sailing, we are in a PH and there is almost no noise whatsoever.  It’s amazingly quiet.  I am not sure how to account for this.

We are in an A-category stateroom on Vista and we can hear the TV next door so we assume they can hear ours. 

The real key here is not giving access to the Closed Captions. That needs to be done. They don't HAVE to do it because they are not US registered and under the laws of the United States where they would be forced to. Sadly, it's not an easy thing to give you the ability to access the Closed Caption commands on the remote without giving you access to other television menu items. And they don't want to do that.

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

We are in an A-category stateroom on Vista and we can hear the TV next door so we assume they can hear ours. 

The real key here is not giving access to the Closed Captions. That needs to be done. They don't HAVE to do it because they are not US registered and under the laws of the United States where they would be forced to. Sadly, it's not an easy thing to give you the ability to access the Closed Caption commands on the remote without giving you access to other television menu items. And they don't want to do that.

After discussing this here yesterday, when we turned on the tv last night, I played around with the remote.  There is an unlabeled button on the remote that toggles cc on/off.  The button looks like a triangle.  It is located to the left of the zero.  We’re now watching things with closed captioning.  My husband is thrilled.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

24 minutes ago, vlthom said:

After discussing this here yesterday, when we turned on the tv last night, I played around with the remote.  There is an unlabeled button on the remote that toggles cc on/off.  The button looks like a triangle.  It is located to the left of the zero.  We’re now watching things with closed captioning.  My husband is thrilled.

Thanks missed your post

Yes it works   thankfully DH wears his hearing aids  😃

• Like 1

DH wears his as well.  But the tv is still louder than I wish it were. He loves sports turned up! And movies. That said, tv is never on when we travel. I enjoy that quiet change. 
Maybe  Oceania could highlight in TV instructions that there is cc available. 

6 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I agree. We were trying to find some way to turn that on last night. But the remote we have does not allow you to access the TV menu, only the Oceania menu.

If it’s one of the newer Samsung TVs, I seem to remember that it’s one of the symbol buttons on the remote (the 🔼 one?) that turns on the “closed captions.” In any case, try the various symbol buttons on several movies from the “On Demand” choices. 
it worked for us last month on Regatta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1