Princess customer service

RMS Olympic

With 26 Princess cruises under my belt I am so saddened to see how Princess has changed. I called this morning to cancel a cruise for next September and the service was unacceptable in my opinion. I was asked why I was cancelling....I said for personal reasons. The Princess rep said she could not cancel the booking unless I explained why. I told her I was diagnosed with cancer and I might die. Her response....oh let me put you on hold. After being put on hold I finally was told the reservation was cancelled. I In turn asked to speak with a supervisor and was asked why I wanted to speak with a supervisor. I said I wanted to speak with a supervisor...and was put on hold. When the rep came back on lineI was told the supervisor would not speak with me because the reservation was cancelled. I asked for a phone number for customer service and was told they no longer have a Customer service number.

This is not the Princess I have known and loved. 
I still have yet another booking for the maiden voyage of the Star Princess which I thought I would keep just in case I made it through my medical challenges. When I calm down I’ll cancel that booking as well.

I am much saddened with this situation.....I hope no one else has to go through this level of customer service.

First, I would like to say that I am sorry that you are going through this medical situation.  You do not need any added stress.  I have been there.

second, don't waste another minute dealing with the customer service or anyone else.  You have more important things to concentrate on and the poor response from Princess is not worth your time.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of stupid people out there.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, RMS Olympic said:

With 26 Princess cruises under my belt I am so saddened to see how Princess has changed. I called this morning to cancel a cruise for next September and the service was unacceptable in my opinion. I was asked why I was cancelling....I said for personal reasons. The Princess rep said she could not cancel the booking unless I explained why. I told her I was diagnosed with cancer and I might die. Her response....oh let me put you on hold. After being put on hold I finally was told the reservation was cancelled. I In turn asked to speak with a supervisor and was asked why I wanted to speak with a supervisor. I said I wanted to speak with a supervisor...and was put on hold. When the rep came back on lineI was told the supervisor would not speak with me because the reservation was cancelled. I asked for a phone number for customer service and was told they no longer have a Customer service number.

This is not the Princess I have known and loved. 
I still have yet another booking for the maiden voyage of the Star Princess which I thought I would keep just in case I made it through my medical challenges. When I calm down I’ll cancel that booking as well.

I am much saddened with this situation.....I hope no one else has to go through this level of customer service.

Absolutely a robotic customer service agent response.  No excuse.

I’m so sorry you had to deal with that ignorance.

I wish you had a TA or CVP that could handle this for you and you wouldn’t have to call in.

Sending prayers for a full recovery.  You’ve many cruises ahead of you. 

Thank you for your response. Dealing with Princess over the years has always been a joy, the cruise experience started with phone interaction. 
I just hope others don’t find themselves having to explain themselves when they have issues.

Out of my 94 cruise, 26 with Princess...it  is sad to say goodbye to my cruise line of choice. 
If things work out, I’ll have to find another line to sail with.

My best wishes to all that continue to cruise.

I'm so very sorry for your medical problems and hope that you will be able to cruise again in the future.

Having said that, and it sounds like your experience with customer service was horrible, I actually had a good experience yesterday.  We each bought two future cruise credits when we were on a cruise over last Christmas.  One of them is being used for a cruise next July.   Our accounts didn't show the other one so I called about it.  We went on a cruise last month and for some reason I thought we had booked it before our cruise last December when we bought the credits so I called to ask about them.  The girl was very helpful and I was wrong - we used them for our last cruise.  Anyway...she was very professional and helpful so maybe it depends on who you get.  Also...I was happy to see that I could get an answer on a Sunday.

5 hours ago, RMS Olympic said:

Thank you for your response. Dealing with Princess over the years has always been a joy, the cruise experience started with phone interaction. 
I just hope others don’t find themselves having to explain themselves when they have issues.

Out of my 94 cruise, 26 with Princess...it  is sad to say goodbye to my cruise line of choice. 

I hope you get better soon!

I would also not abandon the entire cruise line you have enjoyed over the years over one CS representative. She may have been new and was told she had to inquire about the cancellation reason.

• Like 1

I think you should give it some time rather than canceling your other cruise.  Sounds like you're (understandably) a bit sensitive to things that normally people would just shrug off.  I read your post several times, and it really sounds like such a minor incident that it's not worth  getting bothered over.  The rep certainly had a right to ask the reason for canceling if that's their normal procedure, and though she may not have reacted in the way you expected, demanding a supervisor sounds a little extreme, considering how customer service in general is these days.

But sure, try some other cruise lines or travel options...you may enjoy it, and besides there's no reason you have to remain "faithful" to one.  There are so many cruise and other travel options, try some others, but keep your booked Princess cruise unless you have decided you don't want to do it for other reasons, besides a customer service agent that wasn't up to standard.  Don't waste your time, enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

I’ve found that I get different answers to questions time after time. The most consistent thing about Princess customer service is the inconsistency. 
I also find the never ending upsell pressure is aggravating. I can dig that they’re trying to rake back some of the money lost during the pandemic but it’s too much!

I had to cancel one because we chose another itinerary at the same time. The second one was already booked. I can't be on two ships at once, can I? The rep asked me the same, "why are you cancelling?"  They know enough to thank me for being a loyal platinum customer while on the call so they should know that the two bookings are in obvious conflict and the reason for cancelling plain as day. I loathe calling any customer service line these days. It's awful.

Sorry for your situation. F*ck cancer. Best of luck to you.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I hope you get better soon!

I would also not abandon the entire cruise line you have enjoyed over the years over one CS representative. She may have been new and was told she had to inquire about the cancellation reason.

I'm onboard a Princess Cruise at the moment, not my first, and I can confirm that CS has deteriorated to the point that I would never set foot on this beautiful vessel again. It was only April we were last on and the difference is startlingly obvious. Wherever you are on the ship someone is talking about the huge drop in standards and attitude to paying customers.

22 hours ago, RMS Olympic said:

First, let me say I’ve never walked in your shoes, I hope I never do and I’m sorry you are facing this challenge.

True customer service feels like a thing of the past, especially when it comes to telephone representatives.  I avoid them, and when I encounter a particularly bad one, I hang up and dial again.

Cruising with Princess is more than a single phone call.  Perhaps when you’ve calmed down, you’ll rethink this decision.  If not, I hope you’ll overlook whatever shortcomings you encounter when dealing with your replacement line of choice and  just enjoy the good times.

I wish you a short and successful fight.

Thank you to all for your kind words. I’ve been cruising since 1978 and have seen how the industry has changed. I do not expect perfection, I’m not for sure. 
If the phone reps are lacking in training, then management needs to improve. 
What really put me over was when I asked to speak with a supervisor I was asked why, again expected to explain or justify my request. After being put on hold, I was told the supervisor saw no reason to speak with me since I was cancelling my booking.

Princess does not have a monopoly on service issues and cutback....just read cruise critic.

Bon voyage to all. May all your cruise experiences be great ones.

Ciao for now.

• Like 1