Norway and Northern Lights, 26 Nights Cruise from the US

meldal

My husband and I were thinking of booking the Norway & Northern Lights 26-night cruise from New York, departing on October 25, 2025.  

We would greatly appreciate comments and insight on this itinerary - especially from those who have sailed this itinerary in the past.

Meldal,

WOW you selected a wonderful voyage "Norway and Northern Lights" in 2025.

We have did it on the QE2 longtime ago in the past but it is one of our favorite sailings to always remember. We also did in the month of July not in the fall of the year. So I can't help you with that experience.

Norway is a welcoming Country to experience and the scenery also should be captured for your memories. 

We have a QM2 Caribbean in 2025 and know it is a distance away from yours but your time will pass as ours is on the calendar.

Wish you well with your planning.

Which ship?  We did this cruise (out of Southampton) on the Queen Victoria last October and it was brilliant.  With only a 1 in 10 chance of seeing the Lights (according to the expert on board) we were fortunate to see them twice from the deck of the ship.  The captain turned off the deck lights to help see them more clearly.  Be prepared to be woken up at a godly hour if the captain thinks there is a chance they may appear - we got the call at 2.30 am !!!

The Queen Mary 2.  It would be our first Cunard cruise - we have been on numerous cruises; however, we like the idea of sailing from either New York or Boston - avoiding flights to and from Europe.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, meldal said:

The Queen Mary 2.  It would be our first Cunard cruise - we have been on numerous cruises; however, we like the idea of sailing from either New York or Boston - avoiding flights to and from Europe.

Good Hunting for the Lights.....

When we took our sailing in July, that time of year, it's daylight 24 hours a day and would not see the lights.

This time of year will give you the opportunity to view them.

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

Which ship?  We did this cruise (out of Southampton) on the Queen Victoria last October and it was brilliant.  With only a 1 in 10 chance of seeing the Lights (according to the expert on board) we were fortunate to see them twice from the deck of the ship.  The captain turned off the deck lights to help see them more clearly.  Be prepared to be woken up at a godly hour if the captain thinks there is a chance they may appear - we got the call at 2.30 am !!!

I'm doing this cruise this fall. I may have to sleep in my clothes so I can run up on deck. How do they make the announcement? 

4 hours ago, meldal said:

My husband and I were thinking of booking the Norway & Northern Lights 26-night cruise from New York, departing on October 25, 2025.  

We would greatly appreciate comments and insight on this itinerary - especially from those who have sailed this itinerary in the past.

Mrs Bear and I were on the 2022 version of the voyage - with some modifications

Boarding in Brooklyn was almost uneventful - in theory vaccination proof was required, in practice it was 'don't ask, don't tell'. We were in room 5194, right by the 'D' staircase.

The Eastbound crossing featured Anthony Inglis and the English National Symphony - We joined the passenger chorus and were on stage for the 'Last Night of the Proms' [There also was an American night concert, and an afternoon concert where the Cunard musicians joined the Orchestra.

There were also folks from the Royal Shakespeare Company conducting acting workshops - during the eastbound crossing, and the Norway cruise sea days.

For our first Southampton visit, Mrs Bear had a lazy day on the ship, while I did some shopping and visited the 'Sea City' museum. 

Our first Norway port of call was Bergen - unsurprisingly it was rainy. We had the 'Sights and Sounds of Bergen' excursion, featuring a piano concert at Edvard Greig's house.

Next up was Tromso - in 2022 this was not quite 2 days, arriving late morning on the 6th and leaving just after the Northern Lights tours returned on the 8th

We did the Arctic Cathedral concert on the evening of the sixth.

During the short day on the 7th, I did the Polaria and Huskies tour. I do regret not returning to the ship muddier after playing with the puppies at the Wilderness Center.

Check the phase of moon before you decide on a northern lights excursion. I did the ship's bus excursion on the 7th - I would only book an independent 'chase' for the first evening.

As mentioned, QM2 departed shortly after the shore excursion busses returned - about 0230 local time.

Next stop was Trondheim - we elected to take the ship's shuttle into town. We toured the Cathedral and had lunch at one of the shops on the square. Mrs Bear elected to head back to the ship via the shuttle bus - I decided to walk. In retrospect, I should have taken a longer walk back to the pier as that turned out to be our last Norway port.

Our scheduled visits to Alesund and Stavanger were canceled due to inclement weather forecasts [sleet]. Instead we diverted to Zeebruge Belgium. Cunard quickly arranged some tours - we selected one that stopped at the canal side village of Damme, a chocolate factory on the outskirts of Brugge [2 kilos of chocolate] and a great house 'castle' museum.

The second Southampton stop was Sunday - we went to church at St Michael followed by 'Sunday Roast' at the Duke of Wellington.

W hadn't checked the theme for the Westbound crossing, and were surprised  to find it was the 'Greatest Generation' cruise featuring WWII, korea and Vietnam veterans. This included one 104 year old D Day veteran swing dancing in the Queen's Room with the young ladies.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm doing this cruise this fall. I may have to sleep in my clothes so I can run up on deck. How do they make the announcement? 

At his usual 12 o'clock talk the Captain announced that there was the possibility of the Lights appearing that evening but he didn't know what time this would be.  He then said that if we were interested in seeing them (!) to leave the tv switched on the bridge cam channel which normally has no sound.  If the lights were likely to be seen he would make an announcement through this channel.  We went to bed normal time but left the necessary clothing ready for the call which came, as I said, at around 2.30 am.  I remember as I opened the cabin door wondering how many others would heed the call - we were nearly trampled by a corridor full of people all in the haste to get on deck!!!  🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the recap of your trip - we have decided to book this cruise. 

I am now looking for several cruises for 2024 and the spring of 2025.  We have already booked an Alaska cruise for early June 2024 (our 3rd Alaska cruise).  

8 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have a question for those who have done this cruise. With northern lights tours departing as early as 6:30, do the make any accommodation in the Lido schedule to give people a chance to eat before they go out? I believe Lido dinner normally starts at 6;00?

Kings Court usually has dinner items available right after afternoon tea ends - and room service is always an option.

We normally dine late seating Britannia, but used Kings Court before both night's evening excursions [Arctic Cathedral, Northern Lights].

• Thanks 1