San Juan with Seniors

Colleen8580

We are cruising with my parents who are in their 70s and one of our stops is San Juan.  They are ambulatory however "slowing down" and have some underlying health conditions.  I am concerned about them pushing themselves too much trying to keep up with a tour group.  I am also concerned about them trying to walk uphill somewhere, especially if it is hot.  The only "accessible-non wheelchair" tour through our cruise line is sold out.  My dad is really wanting to see the forts (even if just from the outside) and other historical sites.  It sounds like the old trolley would have met our needs perfectly but unfortunately its not running anymore.   Are there taxis or uber available at the old san juan cruise ports that we could use to get to places that are uphill?  or companies offering private tours when we get off the ship or any companies we could pre-arrange transportation?  Looking for the best way to help my parents see the sights while "taking it easy". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colleen8580 said:

We are cruising with my parents who are in their 70s and one of our stops is San Juan.  They are ambulatory however "slowing down" and have some underlying health conditions.  I am concerned about them pushing themselves too much trying to keep up with a tour group.  I am also concerned about them trying to walk uphill somewhere, especially if it is hot.  The only "accessible-non wheelchair" tour through our cruise line is sold out.  My dad is really wanting to see the forts (even if just from the outside) and other historical sites.  It sounds like the old trolley would have met our needs perfectly but unfortunately its not running anymore.   Are there taxis or uber available at the old san juan cruise ports that we could use to get to places that are uphill?  or companies offering private tours when we get off the ship or any companies we could pre-arrange transportation?  Looking for the best way to help my parents see the sights while "taking it easy". 

Would this be of interest?  These tours are growing in popularity, because of their knowledge, kindness and they care…. Make contact to schedule a great day.  It’s good to talk…

https://www.toursbylocals.com/San-Juan-Tours

If a wheelchair accessible tour operator is required…..

https://puertoricoshuttle.com/wheelchair-accessible-transportation

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Wheelchair

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got off a Princess ship in Nov and ordered an Uber to take us to El Morro. It was something like $4 and arrived quickly. Traffic was bad though. Once at the entrance they will have to walk up a steep hill and once inside there are steps all around. If they can handle that, then using Ubers to get to/between the forts should work for them. Then order an Uber back to the port. That way they can see Old Town through the car window without walking all the hills.