Excursion gratuities

calvin81

On past cruises I didn't take ships excursions, but with the Simply More package I'm trying some. Wondering what people tip? I read a previous post that US cash was acceptable, but I'm hoping for confirmation that this is true. And looking for guidance on amount. I know tipping varies greatly from the US in other parts of the world. I'll be in Asia. 

Thank you for this information. I think tipping in the US has gotten out of hand, but I didn't want to be unprepared if it was expected on excursions. The post I referenced was regarding private guides and mentioned giving $1-2, so I don't believe tipping is big in Asia. 

In our travels we have always tipped the bus driver a bit and the guide as well.  These are not cruise line employees but independent contractors.  Just what we do and has been suggested in travel blogs from different areas, just not appropriate in Japan.

• Like 3

I've always tipped on shore excursions. We usually do $5 pp on a half day tour and $10 pp on a full day tour. We typically do small group tours. If it was a large group or mostly a narrated bus ride I would probably tip alot less. 

Where in Asia are you going? In Japan, you don't need to tip. In southeast Asia, they will certainly appreciate a tip although usually you tip a bit lower than you would in the US.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, calvin81 said:

The cruise starts in Hong Kong, then goes to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and ends in Singapore. The post I read regarding US$1-2 tips referenced Vietnam. 

Tipping isn’t ‘customary’ in those countries. But that’s really local to local. Tips are expected from tourists; and honestly, once we saw the quality of life there we felt good about tipping extra. They really appreciate it. Wages there are low and Your tour guide isn’t getting much of a cut from what you pay Oceania.

• Like 2

We tip mon Caribbean excursions. The amount varies according to excursion. We tip less for a "Beach Break" compared to a multi stop trip. We tip the driver(for both of us) $10 -20 depending of excursion. The guide (if they are good about the same) Last Jan we saw a bus nearly go off the side of a cliff in Dominica. Not sure how I would have tipped for the aged 10 years we would have had being on that bus LOL!

I tip all the time, but I think it's a personal choice based on your experience.  I judge the amount based on where we are.  We are currently in Canada, and I've been tipping $20 USD after each tour, particularly private excursions.  While in Europe we tend to tip 10 Euros at the end of a tour.  It's not expected, but definitely appreciated.  We saw plenty of people on the ships excursion not tipping, so it's really personal preference.  You are already paying a lot for that excursion, so I understand those who choose not to tip.

I absolutely HATE the new trend on the credit card machines of suggested tip amounts.  I find it interesting that the "no tip" button seems smaller than the rest of the buttons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I remember correctly, on our China cruise in 2019 we did not tip (but I do not recall why). In Europe (where everyone reportedly is paid a livable wage) it's generally been 2 or 3 euro to the local tour guide (5 to a really good guide), and 1 euro to the tour bus driver (or 2 if s/he did more than just drive).

We have a cruise coming up in Greenland and Iceland, neither of which use the euro. Has anyone heard a suggested gratuity for tour guides and tour bus drivers might be there?