Possible to "Move Over" To a Different Cruise?

Rick&Jeannie

We have an upcoming cruise in 2024 (Feb) that is scheduled for Israel.  This was to be a real bucket list cruise.  We're obviously concerned.  As of right now we are about 120 days out.  If I understand correctly, we could cancel anytime before 90 days with no penalty.  But we don't want to cancel...we would prefer to just switch over to a different itinerary and (hopefully) get back around to Israel at some point in the future.  Things can certainly change (hopefully for the better) in the area around Israel...but I'm not sure I want to gamble on that possibility.

Does Celebrity allow "move overs"?

45 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We have an upcoming cruise in 2024 (Feb) that is scheduled for Israel.  This was to be a real bucket list cruise.  We're obviously concerned.  As of right now we are about 120 days out.  If I understand correctly, we could cancel anytime before 90 days with no penalty.  But we don't want to cancel...we would prefer to just switch over to a different itinerary and (hopefully) get back around to Israel at some point in the future.  Things can certainly change (hopefully for the better) in the area around Israel...but I'm not sure I want to gamble on that possibility.

Does Celebrity allow "move overs"?

Yes, but you will "move" with the current pricing and perks for you new cruise.  In effect you are canceling and rebooking.

Yes it's called changing ship and/or sail date.  I agree it's "like" canceling and rebooking but generally you don't want to cancel/rebook as your existing reservation can just be modified.  If you have a non-refundable deposit there is a $100 pp admin fee.   If it's a refundable deposit there is no fee.   It is at prevailing rates/promo.  

If your reservation is non-refundable then make sure the new rate is also non-refundable as you can't turn an existing reservation from non-refundable to refundable.    But you can do the reverse.

I've moved a Celebrity cruise twice now - originally Japan, then Greece/Israel, and now Transatlantic (as of yesterday). I had to pay a 2x$100 fee each time ($400 total). However, that fee isn't a charge that is taken by Celebrity, and kept. Instead, it is applied towards your cruise. So it's essentially just additional down payment money. So I now have $1300 (900 original, plus 400 in fees) applied towards my $2700 Transatlantic cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

That's not the way I've seen it.  What I have seen is they don't collect extra $100 when you make the move, they add another $100 to the reservation to be paid at final payment.

image.thumb.png.7e598cb2c13e93c0c51cf2d47d46310e.png

you are correct.  It IS added not deducted.  Happened to me last month when I moved my cruise.

I would wait a bit and see what Celebrity offers when they modify the itinerary (can't imagine any chance of Israel in Feb 2024) as they may offer a "free move" given the circumstance, or maybe just call and ask if you can move it without the charge now for peace of mind.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I would wait a bit and see what Celebrity offers when they modify the itinerary (can't imagine any chance of Israel in Feb 2024) as they may offer a "free move" given the circumstance, or maybe just call and ask if you can move it without the charge now for peace of mind.

I think this is sound advice and that calling Celebrity could prove worthwhile. Given this terrible war is only six days old, it might be too soon for them to know/offer anything definitive, but it's definitely worth trying. Moreover, you might get a sense of when the company might make such a decision to help you determine an "action date" you're comfortable with, i.e., when you want to move or cancel this reservation.

Perhaps the latter is naive, but I've found action is generally better for my peace of mind than wondering/worrying, as I tend to do. 🙂

Hope your plans work out!

cjr