Passport requirement for upcoming cruise

parachutes63

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

So what are you going to do the next time your passport is sent in for renewal and you need to fly somewhere? Seems shortsighted not to get a Real ID license….

1. That would be 9 years away, much longer than the license renewal so it would not come up before the next renewal.

2. If the situation did arise, I could go to the DMV and pay for the upgrade to the license.

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I did the opposite. When I renewed my license, I was asked if I wanted it (extra cost). I asked if I needed it as my passport had just been renewed the year before. I was told no I would not need it, and then just did the regular renewal.

I believe that RealID will also be required to enter some Federal buildings.  Not that I regularly frequent them, I'd rather have my DL be sufficient ID regardless of where I go in the US, so paid the extra fee. But because I have a valid passport, it was a simple process.  

1 minute ago, RD64 said:

56% of adult Americans with passports - I would say that is closer to half as opposed to the majority.

In the US over 50% is considered a majority. If a political candidate gets 50% plus one votes they win. Do you have different math in Canada?

I was only pointing out the Americans do have passports. 160,000,000 million have valid passports. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I believe that RealID will also be required to enter some Federal buildings.  Not that I regularly frequent them, I'd rather have my DL be sufficient ID regardless of where I go in the US, so paid the extra fee. But because I have a valid passport, it was a simple process.  

Here in Texas I could only get Real ID. Seems sensible to me. In my former state Maryland legal  residents had to get Real ID. Only illegal residents could get non Real ID. I think in Texas only legal residents can get drivers licenses or state ID. 

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

In the US over 50% is considered a majority. If a political candidate gets 50% plus one votes they win. Do you have different math in Canada?

I was only pointing out the Americans do have passports. 160,000,000 million have valid passports. 

Call it what you will - but if you get on a ship with 2000 passengers, 1120 will have a passport and the other 880 will not. That is my math! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Military bases may be included in requiring ReaL ID. I foresee a lot of confusion about what federal facilities require Real ID. I had to see someone at the Federal Building in Baltimore about 8 years ago and that was the most thorough search I ever had to go through. 

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

And in terms of math, if only 40% of eligible voters voted, and the candidate gets the 50%+ , did he/she truly win by a majority?

Edited by RD64
Sprlling

Just now, RD64 said:

And in terms of math, if only 40% of eligible voters voted, and the candidate gets the 50%+ , did he/she win by a majority?

Yes, by a majority of the vote.  That said, this would have to apply to non-presidential election examples, because of the whole electoral college issue.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Call it what you will - but if you get on a ship with 2000 passengers, 1120 will have a passport and the other 880 will not. That is my math! 

That is a scary thought, since every ship stops at a foreign port. Why would anyone take that risk?

1 minute ago, RD64 said:

The problem with your math is that you make generalizations. If the ship is not on a closed loop cruise out of a US port all 2000 passengers will have passports. 

• Like 2

Just now, ontheweb said:

That's how I saw it and why I turned it down as I posted above with 9 years left on my passport.

So since you turned it down because you have 9 years left on your passport you can see the logic of people not getting passports until they need one? Right? Similar logic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, julig22 said:

Good luck with that, only 5 states have EDL, not the same as Real ID - which is what you will eventually need for domestic flights. Don't think you would qualify, based on the location given in your profile.

• Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Vermont
  • Washington

When I submitted my application for Global Entry renewal earlier this week, it asked if I had an EDL. When I clicked the little “help” button, the description made me think they were one and the same so I clicked “yes.” I’m in Ohio. Oops. 

Clearly CBP didn’t care because I’ve already received my approval, no interview needed. 😆

28 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The problem with your math is that you make generalizations. If the ship is not on a closed loop cruise out of a US port all 2000 passengers will have passports. 

Apparently not - as that is the point of this thread. And perhaps I may be generalizing again, but I will make the assumption that the OP is not the only person to find themselves in this predicament.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m holding off on real ID, it takes a month to get an appointment, my last appointment to renew my license took 3 hours, my passport and card are good for a while.

You need an appointment to get a real ID?? At our BMV, we just fill out a form

and show the appropriate supporting docs when going in for license issuance/renewal. Either way, it’s mailed to us a couple of weeks later. 

Just now, BunnyHutt said:

You need an appointment to get a real ID?? At our BMV, we just fill out a form

and show the appropriate supporting docs when going in for license issuance/renewal. Either way, it’s mailed to us a couple of weeks later. 

In NJ you can’t walk in for anything at the MVC, appointment only, and it can take a while to get one depending on where it is. You will be stopped at the door. Last time one had to wait outside for at least a half hour, and then go to different areas for different parts of the process just to renew my regular license.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

In NJ you can’t walk in for anything at the MVC, appointment only, and it can take a while to get one depending on where it is. 

Yikes. On this "long and lonesome highway" the DMV is in town twice a week. Walk in, take an eye test, take a picture, and you're out the door with new license in hand in about 20 minutes.

4 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Apparently not - as that is the point of this thread. And perhaps I may be generalizing again, but I will make the assumption that the OP is not the only person to find themselves in this predicament.

The point of this thread is that a passport is required if the cruise is not closed loop. A birth certificate and DL is not accepted for a  cruise that starts in one US port and ends in a different port. The OP in the other threads girl friend won’t be able to board the cruise because she does not have a passport. All passengers on that sailing will have passports. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IAcruising said:

Yikes. On this "long and lonesome highway" the DMV is in town twice a week. Walk in, take an eye test, take a picture, and you're out the door with new license in hand in about 20 minutes.

MVC comes to our town a few times a year, as soon as the notification goes out slots are full, and there are still waits. During Covid before appointments folks liked up overnight and some never even got through the door before they closed the next day. Pre-Covid waits were 4+ hours, my kids passed their drivers test but because it was 1 pm they had to come back the next morning and wait 4 hours to get their physical license. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

In NJ you can’t walk in for anything at the MVC, appointment only, and it can take a while to get one depending on where it is. You will be stopped at the door. Last time one had to wait outside for at least a half hour, and then go to different areas for different parts of the process just to renew my regular license.

When I moved here,Texas, I made an appointment online. It was about 8 weeks from when I made it but I was immediately allowed in at the appointed time. No waiting outside or in any line. Didn’t take long. I did learn that some young people who have corrective lenses don’t bring them for the vision exam so they failed it. They were nice to them though. They were allowed to go home, get them and come back to finish without starting over. Had to think though that they were driving there and back home with uncorrected vision…..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Here in Texas I could only get Real ID. Seems sensible to me. In my former state Maryland legal  residents had to get Real ID. Only illegal residents could get non Real ID. I think in Texas only legal residents can get drivers licenses or state ID. 

thanks for confirming to me that I'm not crazy.  I live in MD, and I didn't think we had an option of getting the real ID or not.  When I last renewed, it was a real ID, no choice in the matter