Princess Vacation Protection not available in BC

whee-sailing

50 minutes ago, tupperlinda said:

I just purchased it also for January but then found out it’s not actually valid and they refunded me right away. The agent said she’s still forgetting to remove it. Since it just came into effect October 2023

You’re in BC though, right? Ontario doesn’t seem to be an issue so far. 🤞

• 4 weeks later...

According to the BC Financial Services Authority in a letter dated December 18, 2023, Princess and its carrier, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, are not licensed to sell insurance in British Columbia and until they are, can no longer offer the product they used to.  In a letter from my HAL rep, it was confirmed that HAL will not be offering the insurance product either.  I read elsewhere that Nationwide Mutual Insurance does little business in Canada so is not likely to be interested in paying for a license fee where it is required.  I suspect the same applies to New York.  While you can argue about the pros and cons of Princess insurance vs private, one thing you cannot argue is price.  No way in hell are you going to able to buy cancellation insurance at such a reasonable price and its offering could not be matched.  From my own point of view I'm ticked off at Carnival for not pressuring their underwriter to do better.  They are discriminating against Canadians much as they did in the early days of the Medallion cruise thing you need to make your boarding smooth.  They claim that has been fixed but I'm still waiting to see. 

When I first heard HAL would not be offering the Platinum coverage to BC residents I contacted out PCC as we had purchased it for our 35 day cruise in February.  He stated we are grandfathered.  He also stated if we wanted to buy it for our 2025 cruise we could if paid before December 14, we declined. 

We would buy it on our expensive cruises mainly for the cancel for any reason.  

I would have liked to book for cancel any reason too. The only 2 options i could find are tugo and manulife, both offer 50% cancel for any reason. With tugo it says you need to buy within 5 days of purchase or before penalties apply so i’m hoping that means before final payment but i don’t know if its worth it. Maybe its more worth it to look closely for covered reasons for regular cancellation insurance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I would have liked to book for cancel any reason too. The only 2 options i could find are tugo and manulife, both offer 50% cancel for any reason. With tugo it says you need to buy within 5 days of purchase or before penalties apply so i’m hoping that means before final payment but i don’t know if its worth it. Maybe its more worth it to look closely for covered reasons for regular cancellation insurance.

That’s what I’ll be doing for our 2025 cruise-making a lot of phone calls & asking lots of questions.  The yearly plan we buy from Pacific Blue Cross has coverage for certain reasons to cancel (usually medical) but not for any reason. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I can’t recall, did anyone ask princess if they are pursuing having this insurance again? I could really use this insurance!

I sure hope they are pursuing it but not sure they will be able to find an insurer. Insurance companies stop doing business when the dollar value of claims versus premiums paid starts getting less profitable. I am assuming that is the challenge they are facing - no insurance company wants to insure the risk. 

6 hours ago, catbarber said:

I sure hope they are pursuing it but not sure they will be able to find an insurer. Insurance companies stop doing business when the dollar value of claims versus premiums paid starts getting less profitable. I am assuming that is the challenge they are facing - no insurance company wants to insure the risk. 

I think the primary issue is that the insurer (Nationwide) that offers this Princess feature is not licensed to sell insurance in BC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I can’t recall, did anyone ask princess if they are pursuing having this insurance again? I could really use this insurance!

Vastly superior insurance is available from many places - any insurance broker, bank, auto club, extended health provider, etc.

• Like 1

What is not superior in canada is the cancel for any reason insurance which is what i’m interested in. Only 2 offer it that i know of manulife and tugo and its only 50%. If you know others, let us know.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

What is not superior in canada is the cancel for any reason insurance which is what i’m interested in. Only 2 offer it that i know of manulife and tugo and its only 50%. If you know others, let us know.

If you book through CAA travel CFAR is 75%. (50% if you book elsewhere.) However, you must purchase within 72 hours of booking or before cancellation penalties begin. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

If you book through CAA travel CFAR is 75%. (50% if you book elsewhere.) However, you must purchase within 72 hours of booking or before cancellation penalties begin. 

Do you mean book the cruise through CAA Travel then takenthe CFAR within 72 hours of booking?

4 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks! I didn't know that. So BCAA would do that? I'll check it out.

Please let us know. 

I thought we could still purchase standard cancel for any reason through Holland America  just not the premium?

10 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I am referring to princess cruise protection but unfortunately i don't believe cancel for any reason is available through bc through bcaa.

I thought Princess & HAL were under the same umbrella.  My PCC told me I could buy standard which covers 80% cancel for any reason but we aren’t going until next year so I didn’t pursue it. 

47 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Do you mean book the cruise through CAA Travel then takenthe CFAR within 72 hours of booking?

CFAR is included in the trip cancellation/interruption coverage if you purcase within 72 hours of booking the cruise. You can’t purchase CFAR alone. 

It is on page 31 of the current CAA travel insurance policy, in the section under Trip Cancellation & Interruption Insurance. This is the policy I got from CAA south central Ontario, but I don’t think it is exclusive to Ontario. 

Edited by gnome12

2 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

CFAR is included in the trip cancellation/interruption coverage if you purcase within 72 hours of booking the cruise. You can’t purchase CFAR alone. 

Do you have to book the cruise through CAA to be able to take advantage of the CFAR option in the insurance coverage?

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Do you have to book the cruise through CAA to be able to take advantage of the CFAR option in the insurance coverage?

Yes, to get 75% coverage. If you book elsewhere only 50%. 

• Like 1