Solo travelers dining questions

vswan

I've booked a solo cruise for January on the Jade. I am platinum, so get two specialty dinings for that and two for booking a balcony. Even though reservations have opened, I haven't booked anything yet. Know I would book for 2, 1 is not an option. For those that have cruised solo prior, are you better off booking now or waiting until onboard and meeting others at the solo gatherings that also have specialty dining vouchers to make reservations with? I suppose I could book for 2 now and offer another solo onboard the extra slot.

I had originally booked a OV cabin because the balcony was just so out of what I was comfortable booking at double the cost. Today I looked and they had opened up the solo balcony cabins, so I called my PCC and upgraded - reduced cost by over $1000 with this option versus paying double for the balcony. He said that I would have access to the solo lounge, which I was pleased to here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vswan said:

I've booked a solo cruise for January on the Jade. I am platinum, so get two specialty dinings for that and two for booking a balcony. Even though reservations have opened, I haven't booked anything yet. Know I would book for 2, 1 is not an option. For those that have cruised solo prior, are you better off booking now or waiting until onboard and meeting others at the solo gatherings that also have specialty dining vouchers to make reservations with? I suppose I could book for 2 now and offer another solo onboard the extra slot.

I had originally booked a OV cabin because the balcony was just so out of what I was comfortable booking at double the cost. Today I looked and they had opened up the solo balcony cabins, so I called my PCC and upgraded - reduced cost by over $1000 with this option versus paying double for the balcony. He said that I would have access to the solo lounge, which I was pleased to here.

I am Sapphire and travel solo often. I always find another Platinum or higher solo and invite them to share my Platinum dinners with me and they return the favor. Sometimes it is the same person at each dinner and sometimes I mix it up. Go to the Solo meet up the first night and you are certain to find someone to share. I also book my reservations before boarding as they can always be changed once on the ship.

• Like 2

Go to the Roll Call Section of this Forum.  Scroll down the Norwegian section to The Jade and look for a Roll Call for your cruise.  There might be other solo passengers interested in sharing a dinner or two.

You can go to any restaurant shortly before the scheduled opening time and be seated as a solo passenger.

I travel all the time as a solo and rarely have to wait very long to be seated.

• Like 1

Not an answer to your question, and apologies for the semi-hijack, but I was about to post...

As a solo'er who wants to eat alone, will that be a problem in either the main dining room, or specialty dining rooms? 

Are there any tips/tricks to securing a solo table, or you just ask for it and get it?

Do they ever turn a solo table down? 

12 minutes ago, Daruma said:

As a solo'er who wants to eat alone, will that be a problem in either the main dining room, or specialty dining rooms? 

not a problem at all. very common

there is no tips/tricks. they will seat you at a regular table for 2 that you will have to yourself 

11 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Not an answer to your question, and apologies for the semi-hijack, but I was about to post...

Are there any tips/tricks to securing a solo table, or you just ask for it and get it?

I've eaten solo in the main dining room before as my husband and I wanted different choices. He went his way, I went mine. So, I wasn't a solo traveler, but for that evening's meal I was. I had no issue securing a table for two, but just for myself. They never asked if I wanted to sit with someone else (I would have said no). It was just like going to a land-based restaurant as a solo diner. This happened on Getaway and Joy, in the main dining rooms.

I don't have experience with specialty restaurants, but they have lots of two top tables, so I can't imagine it would be an issue. Hopefully someone else can answer based on experience though. 

I have almost always cruised solo.  I always wait and almost never have had issues getting a table with the exception of Teppanyaki, which you should plan ahead.    I don't mind dining solo, but am usually outgoing and always go to the Solo Meet & Greets (at least the first few days). I normally find other solos to dine with too.  

I think the PCC is wrong about access to the studio lounge.   I have booked balconies myself and it never has has access to the studio lounge, except when they prop the doors open for the Solo Meet & Greets.   I would also check your modified reservation to make sure you have the free at sea dining.  At that much of a price drop, it may only be the room and not the extra perks.  When you change a reservation like that, it doesn't transfer the previous perks.   It is whatever that rate at that time includes, and you may have been switched to something that is just the room. It almost happened to me once, but I asked at time of change to make sure.  and checked later to make sure they had the codes on the reservation

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Langham1865 said:

I think the PCC is wrong about access to the studio lounge.   I have booked balconies myself and it never has has access to the studio lounge, except when they prop the doors open for the Solo Meet & Greets.  

this changed with the new solo cabins. if you are sailing in a solo inside, oceanview or balcony you will now have lounge access on ships that have it. 

If you booked a regular balcony that is not a solo balcony, you will not have lounge access 

• Like 2

I just finished a cruise as a solo.
For one of my speciality dinners, there were no reservations for 2 left, so I booked for 4.  When I got there I told them it would just be me.   I was sat at a table for 4, and it was no problem. (There were also a lot of sea sick passengers that day...so I just said 'no one else will be joining me', rather than pointing out that the system makes it really hard to book for just one.) 

Think of it as reserving a table, not the number of diners.

I had no problem with MDR, speciality restaurants, or the local asking for a table for one.  I also had a pre-reserved specialty dining, was just not hungry, went and cancelled, and then walked in the next day and just asked for a table and was accomodated.

NCL does not ask solos to join group tables, so you will be sat by yourself.

The solo host on encore did have a set 6:30 reservation in all MDRs, and I ate with a group once. They also said at the meetups they could arrange groups to go eat together and would make the speciality reservations.

If you are really social, then the reservation for 2 can come in handy anyway- makes it easy for you to ask someone to join you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

rather than pointing out that the system makes it really hard to book for just one.) 

No it doesn't.  You just have to understand that the smallest table in any of the venues (except Teppanyaki) is for 2 and it makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE if you were to select 1 or 2 when reserving as you're getting the same size table, or if you're in a party of 3 and book a table for 4.

57 minutes ago, Langham1865 said:

I have almost always cruised solo.  I always wait and almost never have had issues getting a table with the exception of Teppanyaki, which you should plan ahead.    I don't mind dining solo, but am usually outgoing and always go to the Solo Meet & Greets (at least the first few days). I normally find other solos to dine with too.  

I think the PCC is wrong about access to the studio lounge.   I have booked balconies myself and it never has has access to the studio lounge, except when they prop the doors open for the Solo Meet & Greets.   I would also check your modified reservation to make sure you have the free at sea dining.  At that much of a price drop, it may only be the room and not the extra perks.  When you change a reservation like that, it doesn't transfer the previous perks.   It is whatever that rate at that time includes, and you may have been switched to something that is just the room. It almost happened to me once, but I asked at time of change to make sure.  and checked later to make sure they had the codes on the reservation

To clarify, now that NCL has reclassified a number of balcony cabins as "solo balcony cabins," when booking those you absolutely, 100% DO get access to the solo lounge just as any solo traveler does. 

It's a very nice change, I upgraded my solo room to a solo balcony about a week ago. 

26 minutes ago, hallux said:

No it doesn't.  You just have to understand that the smallest table in any of the venues (except Teppanyaki) is for 2 and it makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE if you were to select 1 or 2 when reserving as you're getting the same size table, or if you're in a party of 3 and book a table for 4.

If you read what I said, I said to think of it as booking a table size and not the number of diners.  There were no two-tops left, so I booked for four, despite being a solo.  It got me into the restaurant.  

But the system asks for number of diners, so it does make it difficult for solos to know what to do- because only 1 person is dining.  The system isn't designed to ask what size table you want (which in my case was "wherever you can put me, I don't care, there is just one of me.)   I of course would book for 2 when I could, as that saves more space for others, but if 4 was the lowest choice, then as a solo, I still booked for 4. 

In the MDR, you tell them 1, but they seat you wherever is available (for me, it was typically at 4 tops, not 2-tops, oddly); but in speciality, you have to reserve for the table size, not the number dining.  That's confusing to someone who does not know the system.  When I reserve at a land based restaurant, I tell them I want a table for 1, or 3, or whatever, and the maitre'd determines the size table that will best fit me. NCL makes the diner decide on the table size. 

(And in Food Republic, where there ARE spots for 1 available, it unnecessarily takes up space to have to reserve for 2 when there is only one person, as that could signify to them to seat you at the bar instead of at a two-top, if a reservation for one was an option.)

Edited by skittl1321
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daruma said:

(1) Go to any dining room shortly before the scheduled opening time, tell them you a solo and they will sit you as soon as possible.

(2) The ONLY restaurant I ever making reservations for as a solo passenger is Ocean Blue (very small space compared to others).

In 36 cruises as a solo passenger, I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes to be seated, but I always go at the scheduled opening time (5:30 P.M. or so).

Enjoy your cruise and do not worry about cruising solo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

47 minutes ago, Daruma said:

To clarify, now that NCL has reclassified a number of balcony cabins as "solo balcony cabins," when booking those you absolutely, 100% DO get access to the solo lounge just as any solo traveler does. 

It's a very nice change, I upgraded my solo room to a solo balcony about a week ago. 

To clarify, the PCC is correct only if it is a cruise after January 2, 2024.  The OP doesn't state when the cruise if for, so If it is prior to that, it still might not apply..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2023/10/07/norwegian-cruise-line-solo-cabins/71057035007/

1 hour ago, Langham1865 said:

I would also check your modified reservation to make sure you have the free at sea dining.  At that much of a price drop, it may only be the room and not the extra perks.  When you change a reservation like that, it doesn't transfer the previous perks.   It is whatever that rate at that time includes, and you may have been switched to something that is just the room. It almost happened to me once, but I asked at time of change to make sure.  and checked later to make sure they had the codes on the reservation

This could be a bit deceptive. I was a late booker and wanted to book a balcony, but as a solo I had to pay double. There were very few balcony choices left and I was offered either a sail away or an aft balcony - which I love, but the price was very high, higher than the club balcony suites. When the solo balconies opened up the price was much less than the aft I was original offered. I had also booked the spa pass figuring it would give me a place to "be quite," but cancelled that once I was able to get my balcony space, so that would have been part of my savings. All of my perks transferred.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Langham1865 said:

To clarify, the PCC is correct only if it is a cruise after January 2, 2024.  The OP doesn't state when the cruise if for, so If it is prior to that, it still might not apply..

Yes, cruise is mid-January.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Langham1865 said:

only if it is a cruise after January 2, 2024.  The OP doesn't state when the cruise if for,

OP stated the cruise is in January on the Jade.  2 minutes on the NCL page reveals to me that the Jade does not embark any cruises in 2024 prior to January 7.

1 hour ago, Langham1865 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2023/10/07/norwegian-cruise-line-solo-cabins/71057035007/

Meh, my cruise is April 13, 2025, lol.

18 hours ago, Daruma said:

I primarily travel solo and 90% of the time I prefer eating alone.  I know it varies, but I have never even been asked if I wanted to share, and I've never had it be an issue securing a solo table whether it be main dining room or one of the specialty restaurants.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 9:33 AM, Langham1865 said:

After any change to your reservation you can ask for your "Amenity Confirmation" to be emailed to you, it confirms all of your amenities. (NOTE: It does not show any benefits due because of your "Latitudes Rewards" tier.) (Why?, you might ask, because NCL has a crappy website.)

Only paying customers not those with specialty dining entitlements can book some restaurants in advance. The system wanted me to pay $400 in advance for two free meals at Teppanyaki. I suppose I can book on the ship. I will maybe cancel a reservation and change to Teppanyaki. NCL's website is one of the worst I have used. Even when paying in advance for a meal they will charge you for 4 people, so, if you have one child, NCL feels that you must pay for every meal as if you have two.  So might as well bring your child's best friend because you are forced to pay for 4 anyway. Why do they prevent people from booking the number of people that will be there?  So they can charge one person for two people or three people for four people, etc. ?

Edited by nudistcruzer

On 10/19/2023 at 10:33 AM, Daruma said:

The "studio lounge" was only accessible to people in the studios in the past. It was a perk because you had a tiny room with not so much as a window. It is still called the "studio lounge". Only people in the Studios have had access to the "Studio Lounge" I don't know what you're talking about when to refer to a "Solo Lounge". Solo Travelers that are not in a "Studio cabin" have never had access in the past, except when there is a specific scheduled solo gathering and the solo travelers coordinator would prop open the door to allow access, only for those events.

That said, the Lounge was rarely busy. If your key allows access to the Studio Cabin area then you can get in. Otherwise, no access. On the Viva in a month from today, I might have a definitive answer. Certainly in February on the Getaway I will know for sure.

Only ships in the Epic class, Breakaway class, Breakaway+ Class and Prima class have "studio cabins" and/or "Studio Lounges". I've Been on Epic class and Breakaway class and about to go on Prima Class for the first time. 

Edited by nudistcruzer

4 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

Only paying customers not those with specialty dining entitlements can book some restaurants in advance.

3 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

Over the phone customer service told me to tell them as soon as I get on the ship that I am just one person or they might force me to pay for two people. Although, I have found that NCL customer service doesn't have a clue. 

make sure you booking dinner reservations in the correct order. with the free specially dinning package you need to book fixed price restaurants like Teppanyaki and Moderno first and al la carte restaurants like cagneys and le bistro last. if you book things in the wrong order, the system will make you pay if it thinks you dont have enough dinning credits with your page . you will need to call again and tell them to remove all of your dining reservations and then rebook the restaurants in the correct order

If Teppanyaki only shows availability for 4 or more people then that means that time slot is kind of full, try selecting a different time or date. When i book Teppanyaki i always select for 2 people and i never charged anything