Southampton, can we make it?

walters–mor

Yes you can make it. We took a train on our own and spent a quick 6 hours there with no problem. Don't take an MSC excursion, they are an absolute waste of money and over crowded. Don't worry about missing the ship, you have plenty of time. Just do a little research on how to get to the train station and which station to get off. This was extremely easy. I would rather pay to get to the next port if I missed the ship than to pay for a crappy excursion and see nothing.

If you're able to purchase a flex or open ticket from Southhampton to London, that would be the safest bet. That way you can get on the next train no matter what time it departs. (I don't know if they sell such a ticket though. I know DB in Germany and NS in Netherlands does for their trains.)

9 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

If you're able to purchase a flex or open ticket from Southhampton to London, that would be the safest bet. That way you can get on the next train no matter what time it departs. (I don't know if they sell such a ticket though. I know DB in Germany and NS in Netherlands does for their trains.)

Yes, you can buy in advance or just turn up on the day and purchase a standard day return.

It is the cheaper 'Off-Peak' and 'Super Off-Peak' tickets that have restrictions on when you can use them to arrive or leave London.

Which cruise?

Guess Euribia northern.

Southampton on a Friday.

Also embarkation day.

horizon terminal

Ship is usually along side 7:30 ready to disembark prompt.

Check here 

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

It's a sea day after Southampton so best not to miss.

This year due to French strikes the ship has been late some trips.

There can be a rush to get off(line) helps if YC.

Train station is 15min walk(brisk).

Taxi can be a bit quicker will depend on the line.

If you don't absolutely have to see London you might consider spending the day in Southampton. There are a number of historic sites (Bargate, old town walls, Tudor House, ect.) within walking distance of the port. We spent a couple of days there pre-cruise and enjoyed the town. Another fun thing we did was take the ferry to Hythe which is an island across the bay from the port. The New Forest National Park is on the island and you can buy a ticket for the HOHO bus around the park at the ferry ticket office; the ferry is free with the bus ticket. If you are lucky you'll see the wild horses that inhabit the park. If any of this appeals to you do an internet search for what to do in Southampton for lots of suggestions.

On 10/25/2023 at 11:24 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

If you don't absolutely have to see London you might consider spending the day in Southampton. There are a number of historic sites (Bargate, old town walls, Tudor House, ect.) within walking distance of the port. We spent a couple of days there pre-cruise and enjoyed the town. Another fun thing we did was take the ferry to Hythe which is an island across the bay from the port. The New Forest National Park is on the island and you can buy a ticket for the HOHO bus around the park at the ferry ticket office; the ferry is free with the bus ticket. If you are lucky you'll see the wild horses that inhabit the park. If any of this appeals to you do an internet search for what to do in Southampton for lots of suggestions.

The ferry is just a river crossing, it's not an island.

The tour buses only run for the summer.

https://www.morebus.co.uk/about-NFT

On 10/19/2023 at 8:49 PM, walters–mor said:

Hey

if the time in Southampton is 08.00-20.00, what time are we off the ship realistically?

im debating taking a train to see London 09.00,09.30 or 10.00

You will be off the ship by 10am, you need to be back in Southampton by 6:30pm to allow yourself time to get back to the ship. I would recommend either getting an MSC excursion or getting the train as soon as you can get off the ship and get a train back around 3-4pm, so you have plenty of time to get back to port in case of any delays.