Christmas Markets Cruise

Booked Iona for Hamburg, Rotterdam overnight and Zeebruge. 

I have half a plan but I would like any hints or places to visit would be great. 
We are mainly going for Christmas markets. 
We are two adults. Two children (9&8)

Not big on architecture, museums etc. 

Hamburg-is just around 6 Christmas markets while walking around the town. See Santa fly at 4pm. 

Rotterdam overnight- thinking of going to The Hague on the first day for the Lego discovery and then the royal Christmas market. Second day just a water taxi into town, then some shops and the food hall place. 

Zeebruge- going to bruge by train from blankenburge. We loved it there last year. It’s youngests birthday and she wants a horse carriage ride, waffles for breakfast and loads of chocolate so that day is pretty sorted- we know where we are going, how to get there and what we want to do. May look around blankenburge on way back depending on time. The Christmas market should be in the square. 

• Like 1

Added to the list 😂 

does the Iona ship do anything different in December run up to Christmas? 
I know they had the decorations up last November but wasn’t much apart from that. 

netherlands don’t seem to be big on Christmas markets. 

Hi, 

We did this cruise last year and we also went for the Christmas markets. What date do you sail? In the Netherlands the Christmas markets tend to finish in early December so depending on what date you sail could determine whether they will be open or not. 

For rotterdam you could go during the day to Amsterdam for the canal boat tours and they may have the Christmas market barges set up but again depends on what date your sailing. As you have children I would not recommend going to Amsterdam at night. 

For Bruge it's an absolutely beautiful place to visit even better at Christmas. As a top tip just outside the port area is a coach company that runs a shuttle to Brugge for the same price that P&O want for the train that takes longer. Once you get off the ship and walk outside the port gates, walk straight 100m and there should be a cabin where the shuttle company is. Costs 15 euro an adult and will get you to Brugge in 15 mins. Your welcome 🙂

Good advice using shuttle in Zeebrugge to get to Bruges but when returning do not leave too late in the day as there will be a very long queue in a car park waiting for the next coach to take you back. When we did it, it was raining and there is no shelter and waited around 45 minutes for a coach. It will all depend on how many are using it from the port area.

• Like 1

There is a small Christmas marjet in the centre of Brugge and usually an ice rink for skating.

In January this year we just went into Blankenburg and they still had their Christmas markets on (quite small but fun) and also had a good sized ice rink, skate hire etc.

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I know you said not big on architecture, but maybe just a flying visit past here in Rotterdam if you have a bit of time available:

https://kubuswoning.nl/

image.thumb.jpeg.3947c637b095ea2c5aeb7dfd850ae729.jpeg

already asked them this morning if they want to go look inside, but they just happy to look on the outside before the food market. It makes me feel queasy just looking at it. 

20 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

already asked them this morning if they want to go look inside, but they just happy to look on the outside before the food market. It makes me feel queasy just looking at it. 

The outside’s just fine. No great need to go inside for small children, but they are quite spectacular.

1 hour ago, Mrs applehead said:

If you go to the market hall in rotterdam make sure you go to the stall selling "dragons breath" its such fun and draws a big crowd.

Our daughter loved it.

yes that was something I wanted to do. My kids especially the youngest would love something like that, saw it on YouTube 

8 hours ago, sddsddean said:

If you don't fancy the market in Hamburg, or its chucking it down with rain or snow, I highly recommend the largest model railway in the world (complete with airport with 'flying' aircraft).

https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com

Simon

Great idea. It’s a wonderful place - one of my favourite activities ever, 

7 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

It’s well worth going inside - only costs a a few euros and you only need half an hour max. The inside visit really shows how impractical the design is, but it’s fascinating nonetheless, 

5 hours ago, Mrs applehead said:

If you go to the market hall in rotterdam make sure you go to the stall selling "dragons breath" its such fun and draws a big crowd.

Our daughter loved it.

There’s something to suit everybody there.  We had a great meal at LaLa Latin Soul Food. 

• Like 1

Hamburg was the highlight of our Christmas Markets cruise a few years back - there are a few markets dotted around the city, including one with a lovely Christmas tree-lined walkway, but the one at the Town Hall was spectacular. Have a look here: https://www.christmasmarketsgermany.com/hamburg.php

Bruges was also lovely. Unfortunately, we were late arriving in Rotterdam so didn't get the chance to do as much as we'd hoped. 

Have a fabulous time!

21 hours ago, CaptainPedantic said:

Hamburg was the highlight of our Christmas Markets cruise a few years back - there are a few markets dotted around the city, including one with a lovely Christmas tree-lined walkway, but the one at the Town Hall was spectacular. Have a look here: https://www.christmasmarketsgermany.com/hamburg.php

Bruges was also lovely. Unfortunately, we were late arriving in Rotterdam so didn't get the chance to do as much as we'd hoped. 

Have a fabulous time!

I wish they would publish the times they are supposed to arrive. Says 5am for zeebruge as that’s and Hamburg are the ones we are most interested in. But horse carriage won’t open till 9am. Market I think will be 11am. So not much time as I think the ship leaves at 5pm. 

13 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I wish they would publish the times they are supposed to arrive.

I'm assuming you're on G339? Some conflicting info online for Hamburg. Cruisemapper doesn't have arrival/departure times for Hamburg 11 Dec 2023, but hamburg-travel suggests arrive 7am depart 11pm https://www.hamburg-travel.com/see-explore/events/events-calendar/arrival-iona/#c21108040

We were lucky to have a full 24 hours in Hamburg, arriving 9am and leaving 9am the following day.

22 hours ago, CaptainPedantic said:

I'm assuming you're on G339? Some conflicting info online for Hamburg. Cruisemapper doesn't have arrival/departure times for Hamburg 11 Dec 2023, but hamburg-travel suggests arrive 7am depart 11pm https://www.hamburg-travel.com/see-explore/events/events-calendar/arrival-iona/#c21108040

We were lucky to have a full 24 hours in Hamburg, arriving 9am and leaving 9am the following day.

yes I found most times by going onto the ports websites. Trying to do that for the Caribbean next year but not having as much luck. 
as far as I could see I have 

Hamburg 7am-11pm

rotterdam 7am- overnight-9pm

zeebruge 5am-5pm

so zeebruge might be the day we worry about times most. Can’t see us spending more than a few hours in Hamburg etc as the markets don’t stay till 11. But then again it’s better than the first cruise to Hamburg we took on a Sunday. And never did we know till someone mentioned it that Hamburg is closed on a Sunday. We didn’t even get off the ship. 

• Like 1

• Host Sharon changed the title to Christmas Markets Cruise