Marina disembarkation

Bobbyjimbob

Just off Marina Oct.21 after 10 days ending in Rome. The huge gathering of anxious,upset and angry travellers in the deck 5 main area was both unsafe and frustrating. The theatre used daily for marshalling excursions was closed without explanation. One staff only at the gangway entrance to control a humongous mob,one altercation would have led to serious injuries to older patrons just in the melee alone. Then you drag your luggage across busy lanes of busses,vans etc to board bus to airport. One staff counts heads and leaves with the statement “ have your documents ready at the airport IT WILL BE CHAOS!”. One staff at airport arrival who points toward the terminal a long walk away and she leaves! Luggage unloaded in the traffic lane! No luggage carts in sight! I can still feel the Oceania foot on my backside and I will clearly consider that horrific treatment when planning future cruises !

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bobbyjimbob said:

Just off Marina Oct.21 after 10 days ending in Rome. The huge gathering of anxious,upset and angry travellers in the deck 5 main area was both unsafe and frustrating. The theatre used daily for marshalling excursions was closed without explanation. One staff only at the gangway entrance to control a humongous mob,one altercation would have led to serious injuries to older patrons just in the melee alone. Then you drag your luggage across busy lanes of busses,vans etc to board bus to airport. One staff counts heads and leaves with the statement “ have your documents ready at the airport IT WILL BE CHAOS!”. One staff at airport arrival who points toward the terminal a long walk away and she leaves! Luggage unloaded in the traffic lane! No luggage carts in sight! I can still feel the Oceania foot on my backside and I will clearly consider that horrific treatment when planning future cruises !

But other than that, how was the cruise? 😄

• Haha 1

1.  The issue on the ship is the sole result of rude passengers that ignore their assigned color code for disembarking. Ignore most all instructions given to them by staff and ship officers, and ignore most all logical safety precautions. This starts before they get on the ship, and doesn’t end until they are gone. Any steps Oceania attempted to take would be ignored by the majority of its passengers. As far as the Lounge goes, would you want to be in the center of a row, with all your luggage, with most of the seats taken around you and the pathway jammed with luggage? That would be humorous!

FCO is a nightmare. It can be very frustrating even when one arrives by taxi. The drop off and pick up areas are far too small for the amount of traffic. The drop off area may not be near one’s check in counter. Hopefully you get dropped off at the correct terminal!

If you read this Forum regularly, you’ll hear a continuous theme. DO NOT schedule that outbound flight until after 12:00. Give yourself plenty of time. Be able to take a deep breath and go with the flow. As in paragraph 1 above, the ignore button by Oceania passengers is huge. Can I make my 10:00 flight, how about a 9:30? 🙄. IMO, if you book one of those flights, you deserve what ever stress comes with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bobbyjimbob said:

@Bobbyjimbob Thank you for sharing.  Like many, I love to cruise.  Also like many, that final morning has been my least favorite part. Lots of reasons for what happened to you at the port and the airport. None of it acceptable and enjoyable. Yet to me, your post is a benefit to myself and others. 

What I take from your post.  Here is your actual and recent experience.  What can I do if in a similar situation to make my experience much better.  Kind of like an excursion that is not great, I avoid it.  Knowing the stressful downsides gives me a heads up to avoid it.  So Thank You.

Action that I will take when it is my turn because of your helpful information.  

1. No Rush to Dis-embark: I booked a hotel for Dis-embarkment day.  My guest and I can lay low until all the crazies get off the ship.  One response said, the guest don't follow the rules.  I have found this to be true more often then not. 
  2. Pre-Reserved Taxi:  I personally don't like the ship transfers.  For just a little bit more, we have a Sprinter Van pick us up.  Now we are going to a hotel not the airport.  However, if we went to the airport, still I would rather my own driver than the cruise brand.  The drop off is the drop off and is out of my control. My actions are simply based on disappointments in the past with cruise line transportation. 
  3. Flight Strategy: When I booked my flights, I noticed the direct flight to my major hub (Atlanta) was at 10:55 AM. Later flights has connections and added hours on my flight time.  Hence the decision to go out the next day on the direct flight. This leads to not having to stress or rush to the airport especially when out of my comfort zone or country. 

Nothing makes the last day "Pop" with joy.  It is the end of usually a good vacation.  All we can do is learn from the OP and take precautions.  Based on the outline, could Oceania have done a better job, YES.  It reminds me of the staff at the Miami NCL Terminal.  They are clueless, often rude and disorganized.  I was even in the Haven and still not what anyone would call guest friendly.  Not pleasant and will never be acceptable. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

For sure the many rude simpletons are the cause but I assume it has been ever thus! However Oceania has too see the situation repeatedly and their adjustment to gain control is non existent. The Lounge would not include luggage,duh! Luggage collection the same as usual and in AM rows in Lounge could be assigned by color code and guests released to the pick up point accordingly, so obvious an answer it is difficult to understand why it is not done. The number of terrible group injury stories stemming from lack of crowd control is legendary. Many disabled people and others in that crowd must have been frightened,not just angry and justifiably so!

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Thank you for sharing.  Like many, I love to cruise.  Also like many, that final morning has been my least favorite part. Lots of reasons for what happened to you at the port and the airport. None of it acceptable and enjoyable. Yet to me, your post is a benefit to myself and others. 

What I take from your post.  Here is your actual and recent experience.  What can I do if in a similar situation to make my experience much better.  Kind of like an excursion that is not great, I avoid it.  Knowing the stressful downsides gives me a heads up to avoid it.  So Thank You.

While you offer constructive advice, what you have yet to experience, but soon will probably find out (unfortunately), is that Oceania seems to "specialize" in crappy disembarkations. Not sure why, but I have always found O's disembarkations stressful, tough and almost nasty. Same for its corporate cousin, Regent.  Pushing, shoving, luggage blocking narrow corridors near the disembarkation point...you name it. My experiences on Celebrity, HAL Crystal and Cunard over the past 5 years have always been more pleasant. I cannot pinpoint the reason why...perhaps layout of the ships, otherwise pleasant guests who turn into entitled monsters on disembarkation day..not sure. With discussion of this subject, I am feeling pleased that for the four Oceania and Regent cruises we have booked in the next 12 months, we will not be flying the day of disembarkation. That is indeed a big stress reliever. However, unlike some of us retirees, many guests do not have the luxury of a schedule which permits them to avoid it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, edgee said:

While you offer constructive advice, what you have yet to experience, but soon will probably find out (unfortunately), is that Oceania seems to "specialize" in crappy disembarkations. Not sure why, but I have always found O's disembarkations stressful, tough and almost nasty. Same for its corporate cousin, Regent.  Pushing, shoving, luggage blocking narrow corridors near the disembarkation point...you name it. My experiences on Celebrity, HAL Crystal and Cunard over the past 5 years have always been more pleasant. I cannot pinpoint the reason why...perhaps layout of the ships, otherwise pleasant guests who turn into entitled monsters on disembarkation day..not sure. With discussion of this subject, I am feeling pleased that for the four Oceania and Regent cruises we have booked in the next 12 months, we will not be flying the day of disembarkation. That is indeed a big stress reliever. However, unlike some of us retirees, many guests do not have the luxury of a schedule which permits them to avoid it.

@edgee You are right I have not yet experience disembarkation on Oceania, what the OP shared sounded awfully familiar to me. Let me say this differently.  Better then some worse then other experiences I have had.  When I write or comment it is never to suggest everyone needs to flyout the next day.  It is to say, if you have the time, the means and plan it that way, it can improve this situation a bit.  My message is always to be Proactive if possible.  There are always things out of our control.  We all have choices and the OP confirmed my choice was a good alternatives to avoid what happened to them. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

33 minutes ago, edgee said:

This sounds like something that really should be looked at from a management level. I am sorry that the OP experienced this.
Coming from the west coast, most flights back with decent connections are very early flights, so we generally stay over for the night. Because of this, we are never in a hurry to leave, so I am not experienced with that first off the ship exercise. I guess that is something to be grateful for!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does Oceania’s motto actually breed mayhem?

Your World Your Way. What does that suggest?

Pre Covid boarding times were assigned by cabin class. Cruisers ignored them and Boardamania sometimes occurred at heavy turnover ports. The culprits were facilitated regardless of assigned times. YWYW.

All ship tours have emblems posted indicating levels of difficulty. Some even say “ no wheelchairs”. I’ve seen passengers show up with wheelchairs and walkers and be allowed on the bus. Oceania is the only line I’ve sailed that allows this, particularly repeatedly. Shorexs get trashed for all others. YWYW.

So what should be expected at disembarkation? Do you believe all those instructions will mean anything to passengers? Remember the motto YWYW.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately  this is normal

people  do not listen or follow  the  guidelines

No matter how many announcements  asking people not to go to the exit area  until their number is called  people block the exit route  then just stand there with their bags block people getting off 

They also  announce to have your card ready to swipe off the ship 

one lady ahead of us was  in  a panic  as she threw hers away  that  morning

PEOPLE  you still need to swipe out  for the last time 

• Like 2

Announcements are not heard everywhere. The requirement about the card swipe should be in the disembark papers with the luggage tags. We got off and on by facial recognition daily but now they want to swipe. Easy to see why some people didn’t know.

17 minutes ago, Bobbyjimbob said:

Announcements are not heard everywhere. The requirement about the card swipe should be in the disembark papers with the luggage tags. We got off and on by facial recognition daily but now they want to swipe. Easy to see why some people didn’t know.

many do not READ  the  paperwork  or  the daily Currents  

The announcements were heard in all public areas on disembarkation day  IME

YMMV

• Like 3

The announcement made when everyone was ready to leave was After People had Packed ! The notice in the paperwork would have been seen the night before. There should have been BOTH but Oceania’s poor communication is another aspect of the terrible disembarkation process.

14 minutes ago, Jockocruiser said:

Is there any priority or ranking based on cabin category?

Same process for lowest inside and top suites!

You get a form  a few days before the end of the cruise  & fill in the time you  want off  if independent  or if you have O air 

You then will be given luggage  tags   by number & colour    depending on the info you provided O 

The  tags are called  according the time slot 

• Like 3

Wow,close to perfect re details and instructions. Best part of your departure : gathering in the Lounge ! So the question is ….why different on Marina, same size ship but our instructions were to gather in public areas resulting in utter chaos. Looks like organization of disembarkation changes per ship. Looks like the person organizing Marina is a nitwit. Looks like that person might be fired if Oceania corporate monitors this forum.Thanks LHT28 for posting that info, my faith in Oceania has been marginally restored.

• Haha 3

We got off the Marina on Sept. 29th. It was the fastest, most stress free disembarkation in all of our cruises.  Our color was called before our scheduled departure.  Minimal line to get off and face to face with Spanish immigration— luggage ready outside.  I wouldn’t blame all the problems on Marina— probably the port. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nineteen cruises with O and never had the experience the OP describes.  Crowding before 'cleared to disembark'?  Yes.  Injuries with people knocking people down, stampeding? No.  People not waiting for their color/number combination to be called? Yes.  But even so, it always looked like the old Apple ad, with people slogging along one behind the other to get to the card swipe station.

Our disembarkations have all been as BarbaraM describes above.

Guess we've been lucky.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

Nineteen cruises with O and never had the experience the OP describes.  Crowding before 'cleared to disembark'?  Yes.  Injuries with people knocking people down, stampeding? No.  People not waiting for their color/number combination to be called? Yes.  But even so, it always looked like the old Apple ad, with people slogging along one behind the other to get to the card swipe station.

Our disembarkations have all been as BarbaraM describes above.

Guess we've been lucky.

Amazing, isn’t it!?!?

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 2