Upgrades, cheaper online or by phone ?

sebas030

Good morning,

I am booked in an inside cabin for my cruise in 90 days.

I would like to upgrade, I can see the price on NCL's website but has anyone scored a better price by calling Ncl ? or got some bonus OBC or something like that ?

Thank you all in advance

When dealing direct with NCL the price you see online is the price.

That said - between the time I booked my cruise and the time a friend booked his the price had gone up but my PCC (who I sent my friend to) gave him the same price I got.  But I have a feeling that's the only place where they have some discretion to adjust pricing.

First do a mock booking online to see what the price difference is towards a higher cabin category (let’s say for example balcony). If the price difference is lower than putting in an upgrade bid, you call NCL right away and make that upgrade on the phone or with your TA. 

There is not a simple answer to your question, but always check the prices by doing a mock booking. There are many cruises with NCL where the price difference between inside to oceanview/balcony is quite small. 
But it very much depends on the itinerary, ship, and date. 

The last two cruises we upgraded via phone, as the price to upgrade was so good, that it was a no-brainer and we also were able to choose our cabin. With the upgrade bidding you get a cabin assigned and have no say in it, and in our case the upgrade bid would have been more expensive. 

If pricing changes at all, it’s with a TA, who may have a block of rooms they bought or their ability to throw out some OBC or fare discount that comes out of their commission.

NCL PCCs don’t have that sort of discretionary ability.  

Moreover, NCL PCCs don’t have access to perks that some of the credit card companies offer (like AMEX Platinum or Sapphire Visa Reserve).

The biggest gating factor on fares is itinerary, ship, cabin type, availability of cabins, time of year.  Same goes for upgrades.  If any are available, have your PCC or TA price them out….call or email, either way.  IF there’s a difference between the two, I would double and triple check to make sure no error was made.

Edited by graphicguy

19 minutes ago, kasimir said:

First do a mock booking online to see what the price difference is towards a higher cabin category (let’s say for example balcony). If the price difference is lower than putting in an upgrade bid, you call NCL right away and make that upgrade on the phone or with your TA. 

There is not a simple answer to your question, but always check the prices by doing a mock booking. There are many cruises with NCL where the price difference between inside to oceanview/balcony is quite small. 
But it very much depends on the itinerary, ship, and date. 

The last two cruises we upgraded via phone, as the price to upgrade was so good, that it was a no-brainer and we also were able to choose our cabin. With the upgrade bidding you get a cabin assigned and have no say in it, and in our case the upgrade bid would have been more expensive. 

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

If pricing changes at all, it’s with a TA, who may have a block of rooms they bought or their ability to throw out some OBC or fare discount that comes out of their commission.

NCL PCCs don’t have that sort of discretionary ability.  

Moreover, NCL PCCs don’t have access to perks that some of the credit card companies offer (like AMEX Platinum or Sapphire Visa Reserve).

The biggest gating factor on fares is itinerary, ship, cabin type, availability of cabins, time of year.  Same goes for upgrades.  If any are available, have your PCC or TA price them out….call or email, either way.  IF there’s a difference between the two, I would double and triple check to make sure no error was made.

At time of booking ( with Ncl directly ) the difference between my inside and a balcony was $1800 . Now it is $800 (from original inside price I paid ) because of the price drops.

The minimum bid was $150 for an upgrade but I am now almost positive I want to upgrade.

So that's why I was wondering if it was worth the time to call Ncl to "maybe" get an even better price than the $800 listed on the website...

I guess I will wait an other week and if the price drops again I will call and see and even if not, I just might pay for it 🤷🏻‍♂️

25 minutes ago, kasimir said:

Just to clarify on this - do you think that applies if the overall price for all cabin categories has increased? 

For an upcoming cruise - we have an inside GTY. The current price for that cabin (and others) has risen overall. Would we have a shot at an upgrade for the differential between inside and balcony at the current pricing, or the differential between the GTY we paid a year ago and a balcony price today?

Another "call-in" upgrade question - if you call in and buy an upgrade, can you pick the cabin?

20 minutes ago, sebas030 said:

At time of booking ( with Ncl directly ) the difference between my inside and a balcony was $1800 . Now it is $800 (from original inside price I paid ) because of the price drops.

The minimum bid was $150 for an upgrade but I am now almost positive I want to upgrade.

So that's why I was wondering if it was worth the time to call Ncl to "maybe" get an even better price than the $800 listed on the website...

I guess I will wait an other week and if the price drops again I will call and see and even if not, I just might pay for it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t think the fare will be any different if you call or book on line.

Just a word of caution, I’ve found over time, the time to book a fare you like is when you find it.  I’ve waited for more price drops, which rarely has happened.  Not saying it’s never happened, because it has.  But, the vast majority of the time when I’ve waited, the fare has gone up, or my preferred cabin category has sold out.

Bidding is a whole other thing.  I can count on one hand those who have secured a better deal by going through the bidding process, and still have fingers left over.  Nothing wrong with bidding.  Just make sure you book something you’re happy with given the likelihood of winning an upgrade via bidding doesn’t pan out.

I’ve done it.  I’ve always bid a couple of categories above what I’ve booked.  And, I’ve always bid an amount that netted me a good deal (usually on the high side of “poor”).  Never won, so nothing ventured nothing gained, given I already had a cabin I knew I’d like.

If you’re positive you want to upgrade, and the fare is agreeable, do it.  I know way too many people (me included) that waited around for more priced drops and never got what I wanted as a result.

Edited by graphicguy

11 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Just to clarify on this - do you think that applies if the overall price for all cabin categories has increased? 

For an upcoming cruise - we have an inside GTY. The current price for that cabin (and others) has risen overall. Would we have a shot at an upgrade for the differential between inside and balcony at the current pricing, or the differential between the GTY we paid a year ago and a balcony price today?

Another "call-in" upgrade question - if you call in and buy an upgrade, can you pick the cabin?

For all intents and purposes, you’d be cancelling your current cabin and rebooking on the other one.  So yes, you’d pick from the available cabins available at the time just like a new booking.

Obviously, a GTY cabin doesn’t net you the ability to choose your own cabin.  So, by default, cancelling it for something where you pick your own cabin is going to cost more, too.

• Thanks 1

So, this just happened.  Looking to get in on the current promo of using 2 Cruise Next certificates.  Had my sites on a particular cruise, ship, cabin while I was perusing last night.  Found one I really liked, fare was good, etc.  Called me TA this a.m. to book it.  Not only is the cabin no longer available, the entire category is sold out.

C’est la vie!

19 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

So the price difference is always on the price you paid, and the current price for the cabin you are looking to upgrade to. 

• Thanks 1

The price will be the same online as phoning in.

But there are important differences.

Phoning, you're likely to get a quick run through the multiple options (often with very similar names), and pressure to decide. Prices are held throughout your call. You can choose any available cabin with the grade.

Online, you can take your time. Prices might keep changing. You can see exactly what you're thinking about. But you'll be given the first cabin in the new grade, without even knowing which others are free.

Best likely to be deciding online what you want, but phoning to actually book it. But be careful not to block yourself by holding a cabin online, preventing you buying it by phone!

2 hours ago, sebas030 said:

Good morning,

I am booked in an inside cabin for my cruise in 90 days.

I would like to upgrade, I can see the price on NCL's website but has anyone scored a better price by calling Ncl ? or got some bonus OBC or something like that ?

Thank you all in advance

If you are paying for an upgrade, there are no additional discounts or promotions. 

If there was inventory when bidding opened, then upgrade bids may have already been processed… the longer you wait to place a bid, the lower your chances of getting one. 

You can roll the dice and bid. Or pay outright. 

The difference in price for an outright paid upgrade is what you paid versus the current cost of your desired room. 

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you are paying for an upgrade, there are no additional discounts or promotions. 

If there was inventory when bidding opened, then upgrade bids may have already been processed… the longer you wait to place a bid, the lower your chances of getting one. 

You can roll the dice and bid. Or pay outright. 

The difference in price for an outright paid upgrade is what you paid versus the current cost of your desired room. 

NCL aim to take as much money as possible. If you make a high bid you might get it sooner, but otherwise you and everyone else will wait until NCL decide they're unlikely to sell it to someone else. The whole process is biased in NCL's favour, of course

2 hours ago, richmke said:

If you find a deal at another website (typically OBC - sharing some if the commission), the PCC may be able to get close. 

Doubtful.

My understanding is that NCL does not compete with TA's by adjusting prices or giving away credits.

44 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Doubtful.

My understanding is that NCL does not compete with TA's by adjusting prices or giving away credits.

I agree.  The perks offered by a RA come from the commission earned by the TA.  NCL is highly unlikely to give OBC or reduce the published fares.

49 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Doubtful.

I agree. As far as I know, NCL agents do not work on commission, nor can they change prices or add promos that aren't currently in effect. So they have nothing to give away.

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

So, this just happened.  Looking to get in on the current promo of using 2 Cruise Next certificates.  Had my sites on a particular cruise, ship, cabin while I was perusing last night.  Found one I really liked, fare was good, etc.  Called me TA this a.m. to book it.  Not only is the cabin no longer available, the entire category is sold out.

C’est la vie!

For future reference, unless you are booking something that's after the final due date, you can put the reservation on hold. Then call your TA in the morning. Not 100% sure if your TA can pick up the reservation directly but you also have 2 weeks to transfer it after booking.

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

For future reference, unless you are booking something that's after the final due date, you can put the reservation on hold. Then call your TA in the morning. Not 100% sure if your TA can pick up the reservation directly but you also have 2 weeks to transfer it after booking.

Yeah…wasn’t aware of that at the time!

Sometimes I get so into the weeds when shopping for fares, I lose out on some

fares and cabin categories I wished I had booked when I go back later to book them.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, IanCarb said:

NCL aim to take as much money as possible. If you make a high bid you might get it sooner, but otherwise you and everyone else will wait until NCL decide they're unlikely to sell it to someone else. The whole process is biased in NCL's favour, of course

NCL does not run the upgrade process. It is a 3rd party vendor. We have had a low ball bid ($100) to move from an Oceanview to Balcony on the Prima (high demand ship) and it was accepted long before cruise date. 

A question. I have upgraded after final payment of number of times. As prices have dropped I just called my PCC and asked what a direct upgrade would cost - and what my options were. I don't understand how I would do that online. Is changing/upgrading online only done prior to final payment?

4 hours ago, vswan said:

A question. I have upgraded after final payment of number of times. As prices have dropped I just called my PCC and asked what a direct upgrade would cost - and what my options were. I don't understand how I would do that online. Is changing/upgrading online only done prior to final payment?

I was wondering the same thing.  Really no way to upgrade online after final payment except via the bidding process.  They can't even do it on chat...you have to call and talk to a CSR.  Just did it last week and went from an inside to a balcony for less than my upgrade bid (which I then cancelled). 35 days to go!

16 hours ago, vswan said:

Is changing/upgrading online only done prior to final payment?

They are happy to take your money anytime. I upgraded 2 weeks prior to embarkation.  If there is a faredrop after final payment, that is one way to take advantage of it. Had to call PCC to do it.

• Thanks 1

An example might help clarify. Say you paid 3000 for an Inside, when a Balcony would have been 6000 at that time. Later, the prices reduce to Inside 2000 and Balcony 4500.
You cannot get a refund of 1000 to stay in the Inside. If you want to upgrade to Balcony, the charge will be 4500 (new price) less the 3000 you've already paid, ie 1500 to pay. You can see the prices online, but will need to phone to make the change. As far as I know, it does not depend whether this is before or after the final payment date.
That is, you can take advantage of the lower price if you take an upgrade and spend more money in total.

Edited by IanCarb

8 minutes ago, IanCarb said:

An example might help clarify. Say you paid 3000 for an Inside, when a Balcony would have been 6000 at that time. Later, the prices reduce to Inside 2000 and Balcony 4500.
You cannot get a refund of 1000 to stay in the Inside. If you want to upgrade to Balcony, the charge will be 4500 (new price) less the 3000 you've already paid, ie 1500 to pay. You can see the prices online, but will need to phone to make the change. As far as I know, it does not depend whether this is before or after the final payment date.
That is, you can take advantage of the lower price if you take an upgrade and spend more money in total.

Might be how it works in the UK, not how it works in the US.

In the US, if the price goes down by $1K prior to the final payment due date, you can request a refund/fare reduction or pay the difference for an upgrade.

If the price goes down by $1K after the final payment due date, you can request a future cruise credit for $1K or pay the difference for an upgrade. It is considered a courtesy adjustment, not something they are required to do. The challenge is actually determining the actual price drop, considering that the promotions may change after that final payment date so it's a little more complicated than just looking at the listed price. Especially challenging if you've chosen the BOGO airfare promotion.

• Like 1