Menus

canadianjovigirl

3 minutes ago, canadianjovigirl said:

Do the menus repeat on a 14 day Caribbean cruise?

No. NCL has 21 MDR menus that they can rotate through. The executive chef will set the menu months in advance and provision for that set of menus on the cruise. 

Could a chef duplicate a popular menu on more than one night, maybe, but not normally. 

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

No. NCL has 21 MDR menus that they can rotate through. The executive chef will set the menu months in advance and provision for that set of menus on the cruise. 

Could a chef duplicate a popular menu on more than one night, maybe, but not normally. 

Is there anywhere to see these as app doesn’t show them like RCCL and trying to plan specialty dining 

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Nope. That is not even available onboard. 

Oh wow okay. Trying to learn the differences and excited to try something new.  I’ve been told NCL is only one that does freestyle dining well but seeing reservations available in the app but hoping they aren’t needed 

23 minutes ago, canadianjovigirl said:

Oh wow okay. Trying to learn the differences and excited to try something new.  I’ve been told NCL is only one that does freestyle dining well but seeing reservations available in the app but hoping they aren’t needed 

Generally speaking, they aren’t!

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Nope. That is not even available onboard. 

It's available onboard >> I've been able to get all 14 MDR dinner menus & which night they will be served.

Ask the hotel manager or the executive chef -->in person (at Meet&Greet is a good opportunity).  Delivered within less than 12 hours to our cabin. 

For planning/editing Specialty resv as CanadaGirl inquires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canadianjovigirl said:

I’ve been told NCL is only one that does freestyle dining well but seeing reservations available in the app but hoping they aren’t needed 

We've never reserved any of the Main Dining Rooms on any ship. Granted, we're usually a party of two and can be seated within two minutes of walking up to the hostess desk. 

Having said that, we were a party of six on the Prima and never had a problem just showing up without a reservation and being seated within a couple of minutes. YMMV...

6 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We've never reserved any of the Main Dining Rooms on any ship. Granted, we're usually a party of two and can be seated within two minutes of walking up to the hostess desk. 

Having said that, we were a party of six on the Prima and never had a problem just showing up without a reservation and being seated within a couple of minutes. YMMV...

Thanks. Party of 2 as well and don’t mind waiting a bit if need be. Was just looking forward to not planning around dinner reservations 

5 hours ago, canadianjovigirl said:

Is there anywhere to see these as app doesn’t show them like RCCL and trying to plan specialty dining 

Menus in specialty dining don't change daily. They could be the same for weeks or months at a time, unlike the MDRs. The left side of the MDR menu will be the same all week, and the right side offerings change daily.( Unless I got my left and right screwed up!)

In the specialties, change comes slowly.At Cagney's, they may decide to change strip steak to a NY Sirloin, or change the seven layer cake to the lava cake, or not offer the Tomahawk for awhile, but then bring it back. But for the most part, you'll have the same menu all week.

8 hours ago, leithbones said:

It's available onboard >> I've been able to get all 14 MDR dinner menus & which night they will be served.

Ask the hotel manager or the executive chef -->in person (at Meet&Greet is a good opportunity).  Delivered within less than 12 hours to our cabin. 

For planning/editing Specialty resv as CanadaGirl inquires.

Yeah... I am not going to impose myself on the ship's general manager for curiosity. I'll wait like everyone else. 

Edited by BirdTravels

11 hours ago, canadianjovigirl said:

Freestyle dining generally works well. If we go at peak dining time, we know that there will be a short wait. Depending on the ship, there are 2 or 3 main dining rooms that serve the exact same menu. We'll swing by both restaurants if we are trying to eat at peak dining times to see what the waits are like. 

9 hours ago, canadianjovigirl said:

Thanks. Party of 2 as well and don’t mind waiting a bit if need be. Was just looking forward to not planning around dinner reservations 

I've been investigating the same question for the same reason for my January 15 night cruise.

I have found a number of posts that CC members have used to show photos of the daily menus.

That includes BirdTravels's detailed series on her recent cruise.

So far, all of the menus have matched up.

Someone posted this which includes 7 days worth of MDR plus other dining:

https://profcruise.com/ncl-menus-2023/

One of the threads I found weeks ago followed my itinerary from last spring. They did not post for all days (only 5 for days 8-15). Sorry, I don't have a link for those; I did note some highlights for myself.

Anyway, for the first 7 days all the posts I have seen have been consistent...but obviously subject to change at any time.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yeah... I am not going to impose myself on the ship's general manager for curiosity. I'll wait like everyone else. 

In the past, I have asked personnel in the MDR - and was handed a stack of menus to peruse.