Room service from specialty restaurants with your butler?

Clutj

3 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Does Oceania still provide this?  I didn’t see it described on the O website like I recall from before, and CC search function didn’t help me find any prior topics covering this.  Thanks. 

Absolutely - one of the best perks ever!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, basor said:

Absolutely - one of the best perks ever!

Yes!

We love the space in the PH (Riviera), but we could easily "make do" (ah, such a sacrifice, to be cruising...!) with a smaller veranda cabin.

But we make a LOT of use of the extra Specialty dining with the wonderful assistance of our Butler, and that isn't available in smaller cabins.  Those extra dinners, plus a very big breakfast rolled in to wake us up with the aroma of coffee and bacon, and perhaps the gentle clinking of some china.

THAT is a vacation! 

🙂

GC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  Indeed it is quite the perk.   In addition, I’ve always appreciated the butlers who, if we were drinking BTG wine from the package, were able to exercise judgment and just bring us the bottle when they poured our main course wine.  Sometimes even our appetizer wines.  It’s ridiculous to ask them to come back in 10 minutes to bring and pour more wine, and they knew the cost of giving us “extra” wine was insignificant and greatly improved the in-room experience.  We usually gave notice — or asked really — on the day before if specialty in-room was doable for the butler. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Thanks!  Indeed it is quite the perk.   In addition, I’ve always appreciated the butlers who, if we were drinking BTG wine from the package, were able to exercise judgment and just bring us the bottle when they poured our main course wine.  Sometimes even our appetizer wines.  It’s ridiculous to ask them to come back in 10 minutes to bring and pour more wine, and they knew the cost of giving us “extra” wine was insignificant and greatly improved the in-room experience.  We usually gave notice — or asked really — on the day before if specialty in-room was doable for the butler. 

Thanks for the reminder:

We *always* tell our Butler that when we have a request, we are almost always quite flexible about time, and if not, we will specifically mention it. That is, if other requests come in that conflict, please schedule those, and let us know about a useful time change.

It's never happened yet for dinner service request.

GC

• Like 1

Just to reiterate a few of the rules:

1.  It is only available when the Specialty restaurants are open. That’s typically 6:30, so don’t expect service ( food delivery) until at least 6:45.

2.  All requests must come from the same kitchen. PG and Toscana share a kitchen so both menus are available. You can’t do one PG and one RG order however, as an example.

3.  Best to check with your butler as early as possible. You don’t want to be his 12 th couple wanting to dine en-suite on any given night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Just to reiterate a few of the rules:

1.  It is only available when the Specialty restaurants are open. That’s typically 6:30, so don’t expect service ( food delivery) until at least 6:45.

2.  All requests must come from the same kitchen. PG and Toscana share a kitchen so both menus are available. You can’t do one PG and one RG order however, as an example.

3.  Best to check with your butler as early as possible. You don’t want to be his 12 th couple wanting to dine en-suite on any given night.

We broke the #2 rule once, A new butler was looking to please, he got in over his head and got help from another butler, who told him "Don't ever do that again".   

• Haha 1

A few people also use the specialities for starters in room before going out for dinner instead of canapés to the room. 

We haven’t done this, but I may try it next time. You can order off the canapé menu as well .. we asked for crisps one evening (Chips for my colonial cousins) and this was happily supplied. 

• Thanks 1

Is this something that can be done only once a cruise (7 nighter) or as often as you'd like?  Is a day ahead enough notice or should we try to set it up asap (embarkation day?)  

First time on Oceania next month....so looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Is this something that can be done only once a cruise (7 nighter) or as often as you'd like?  Is a day ahead enough notice or should we try to set it up asap (embarkation day?)  

First time on Oceania next month....so looking forward to it.

Talk to your Butler. He is the best to consult with for your specific cruise. You’ll find them informative, entertaining, and resourceful. They are best prepared to address your specific questions. 🥂

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are going to get to Experience Oceania and Vista for the first time on the December 30th 10 day sailing to the Caribbean as a continued celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary. 

We booked a Penthouse suite ( PH1) on deck 11 a first and we have never experienced a butler before. We wanted a higher end service experience and it sounds like the Penthouse experience can provide that.

My wife and I are looking forward to sailing on Oceania Vista and the smaller ship experience as we are 56 yrs old and have experienced larger ships in the past ( 2,800 to 4,500 passengers) with NCL, Carnival and most recently on Celebrity Equinox in October our first with them.

Our last cruise Celebrity in October had 2,800 Passenger's so having 1,200 Passenger's on Oceania Vista will be nicer and more relaxing we think.

My question to you folks that have sailed in a Penthouse suite was it worth it? Any tips to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Thank you. 🙂

1 hour ago, Parrot Head1 said:

My wife and I are going to get to Experience Oceania and Vista for the first time on the December 30th 10 day sailing to the Caribbean as a continued celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary. 

We booked a Penthouse suite ( PH1) on deck 11 a first and we have never experienced a butler before. We wanted a higher end service experience and it sounds like the Penthouse experience can provide that.

My wife and I are looking forward to sailing on Oceania Vista and the smaller ship experience as we are 56 yrs old and have experienced larger ships in the past ( 2,800 to 4,500 passengers) with NCL, Carnival and most recently on Celebrity Equinox in October our first with them.

Our last cruise Celebrity in October had 2,800 Passenger's so having 1,200 Passenger's on Oceania Vista will be nicer and more relaxing we think.

My question to you folks that have sailed in a Penthouse suite was it worth it? Any tips to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Thank you. 🙂

Yes for us it was worth it.  We especially liked the option to eat from the menu of a specialty restaurant servered by the Butler for dinner.  We also had coffee and ofter breakfast served in the morning before shore excursions(from a menu provided by room service from the butler).  

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it’s worth it just for the extra space. Butler … you might enjoy or not… depends on your needs. We don’t enjoy eating in the room so not a great advantage for us. Just one word of warning … deck 11 has a big overhang from above. When we book PH we always book deck 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Yes it’s worth it just for the extra space. Butler … you might enjoy or not… depends on your needs. We don’t enjoy eating in the room so not a great advantage for us. Just one word of warning … deck 11 has a big overhang from above. When we book PH we always book deck 10.

When we booked we took the last PH1 available.  It is on the 11th deck but near the back which has a somewhat larger balcony from I can see on deck plans.  Not too concerned about the overhang, at least if it rains we won't get wet.  Just happy to be boarding in 3 short days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Just one word of warning … deck 11 has a big overhang from above.

What is wrong with that?  Seems like a good thing to block the sun and gives a bit more privacy from people above looking down on part of your balcony.  We will be, for the first time, on deck 11 on Marina in an Oceania Suite for our next cruse; we noticed the large overhang in a video review and viewed that as a good thing.  Let me know if I am missing something.

23 minutes ago, Torquer said:

What is wrong with that?  Seems like a good thing to block the sun and gives a bit more privacy from people above looking down on part of your balcony.  We will be, for the first time, on deck 11 on Marina in an Oceania Suite for our next cruse; we noticed the large overhang in a video review and viewed that as a good thing.  Let me know if I am missing something.

Guess it’s ’horses for courses’ . I like afternoon sun on my balcony.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

We were in 11080 on Marina in October. Loved every minute inside, as well as outside. Booked another cruise 2025 in the same Oceania Suite. It will be interesting to see it after the re-do of the ship Spring 2024.

23 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

When we booked we took the last PH1 available.  It is on the 11th deck but near the back which has a somewhat larger balcony from I can see on deck plans.  Not too concerned about the overhang, at least if it rains we won't get wet.  Just happy to be boarding in 3 short days.

I'll be in the same area on our cruise in Feb.  If you can, could you please post some pics of the balcony?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 9:48 AM, Parrot Head1 said:

Thank you. 🙂

It is SO worth it!  Whether or not you use the butler frequently, the larger room size is definitely worth while.  Also, the 3 bags of laundry; just be sure to allow sufficient time for its return (note: this is laundry service; wash, dry, fold; not dry cleaning).  We’ve not yet tried the specialty restaurant in-room dining, but will next time (Jan, 2024, Tahiti).  We’ve had luck with our butler getting us add’l specialty restaurant dining (usually shared table), also.

That said, while we go ashore at most ports—at least to walk around, I am one of those who cruises because they like to be on the ship (on the veranda with a good book and a glass of wine).  So, the room size and comfort is important to me.

• Like 1