Onboard now- medical question

floralscent

5 hours ago, hcat said:

wonder how OP made out???

Thank you all for the advice and info! Once I realized what was happening to me, I knew this community would be very helpful…thanks again!!! 

Update- When I phoned guest services after my original post, they asked that I call back at 4:00 once medical opened. I did that and got an appointment for 6:15, so I just kept drinking water. I showered, got ready for our 8pm Tuscan reservation and showed up for my appointment a bit early-6:05. They took me right in, I gave them a sample and 15 minutes later I was out of there with an antibiotic and the other med that turns urine orange/red. No wine for me at Tuscan last night 😞 but that’s okay.

I am starting to feel better. Last night I asked for a detailed bill as suggested here and was told I would get it today or tomorrow. The app shows my visit and meds totaling $199.95 (what a deal compared to my Dr in US). I’ll go to guest relations for my paper bill later and then submit to my private med ins and then travel ins. 

I will report back on reimbursement outcomes later so this info is available later for someone who finds themselves in this same situation. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, floralscent said:

Ohhh…can you buy that OTC at any pharmacy? Don’t recall seeing that in US but doesn’t mean it’s not available. 

I bought some from Amazon and it was sent to me in Australia. It's wonderful. Called AZO.  And yes, a very bright orange. Lasts around 40 hours on the one dose. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

Glad you were able to get an appointment and proper treatment. Before taking any unique or herbal based OTC it may be wise to discuss with your primary. I’ve notice that in recent years I’m am always asked by my primary medical if I take any herbals or other non rx medications or supplements. There are some that can alter lab results or interact with medications. Prior to any surgical procedures I’ve been told NO herbals for at least a week to 10 days. 

Darcy

• Like 3

@floralscent, so glad you are feeling better!! I am Very sorry that you cannot drink wine! I promise to do my best to consume your wine! As I lay on my bed at home with a triple ankle fracture (while I was supposed to be on the Reflection transatlantic right now) I am glad to hear that you got (relatively) promptly seen and treated. Maybe they can refund you the remaining days of your beverage package if you cannot drink?

@WatchHill, thank you also for the information! Hope DH feels better.

I appreciate from all of you the new knowledge that I have gleaned from this thread!!

5 hours ago, DingoMom said:

@floralscent, so glad you are feeling better!! I am Very sorry that you cannot drink wine! I promise to do my best to consume your wine! As I lay on my bed at home with a triple ankle fracture (while I was supposed to be on the Reflection transatlantic right now) I am glad to hear that you got (relatively) promptly seen and treated. Maybe they can refund you the remaining days of your beverage package if you cannot drink?

Thanks for the well wishes DingoMom…I am feeling MUCH BETTER. Sorry to hear about your fracture and that you missed your trip. My heart aches for you as I know how exciting upcoming trips are. Get well soon 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 12:15 AM, floralscent said:

Thank you all for the advice and info! Once I realized what was happening to me, I knew this community would be very helpful…thanks again!!! 

I am starting to feel better. Last night I asked for a detailed bill as suggested here and was told I would get it today or tomorrow. The app shows my visit and meds totaling $199.95 (what a deal compared to my Dr in US). I’ll go to guest relations for my paper bill later and then submit to my private med ins and then travel ins. 

That's about what I paid for my medical center visit for my UTI. A little more detail...I had my first UTI onboard a ship and went to the medical center, was given an antibiotic and another med. About $160. Things were going fine until I reached a small village in Poland where I was staying with my husband's cousin, who is "the rich man in town."  I told him I needed to go to the doctor, and he said, "That clinic is run by a horrible old Russian doctor who often doesn't show up... I'll see what I can do." An hour later, we met a nurse on a bicycle who gave me a strip of antibiotics. Never had another UTI since that time.  Sometimes, when you travel, things get a bit desperate. 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 6:13 AM, WatchHill said:

Glad you were able to get an appointment and proper treatment. Before taking any unique or herbal based OTC it may be wise to discuss with your primary. I’ve notice that in recent years I’m am always asked by my primary medical if I take any herbals or other non rx medications or supplements. There are some that can alter lab results or interact with medications. Prior to any surgical procedures I’ve been told NO herbals for at least a week to 10 days. 

Darcy

Just an FYI, AZO is likely the same as the little orange/red pills the OP was given in medical.  

"AZO® Urinary Pain Relief is specially formulated with Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride" That same med is what many drs often give for UTI pain relief.  I always take a pack when I leave the country, just in case.  Uristat is the same as AZO, just a different brand.  AZO has a few different types of UTI pills but the standard one is what is most popular.  Of course I agree that you should always tell your dr what you are taking, OTC/herbal/whatever though!

• Like 1

I'm going to step into this thread as an urgent care physician and clarify a few general things so don't take this as specific medical advice for your situation. A lot of different things can cause urinary discomfort so see a doctor on board or in port if you can.

1. Drinking lots of non-alcoholic, non caffeinated, low/no sugar clear fluids can help to flush bacteria from the bladder.
  2. Cranberry juice can be helpful but not curative. And it needs to be 100% juice, tart, nasty stuff. Cran cocktails are basically sugar water. Not recommended and could make things worse.
  3. AZO can be helpful for symptom control but it will throw off the urinalysis dipstick results and if you cannot get a urine culture on the ship (which is understandable) then you and the doctor are guessing about your diagnosis with a discolored urine strip, unless you have multiple convincing symptoms of an infection.
  4. We have a decent amount of resistant bacteria causing UTIs in this country and it doesn't matter if you have had a lot of antibiotics in the past or not. We all get colonized (gross, I know) by environmental bacteria and some of this is resistant. If you get medication on the ship for a UTI and it's not working then consider asking for a different antibiotic or consider a non-infectious cause for your symptoms.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/30/2023 at 9:51 AM, DaKahuna said:

Interesting.   The two times I have gone to medical on a ship, I went directly there.  No appointment, no call to anyone.   Both times on S-class ships. 

DaKahuna, that was my experience also when I had a severe case of food poisoning on the ship a year or 2 before covid shut the world down.  DH caught heck, from the medical staff,  for listening to my insisting on waiting until 4 pm when medical "reopened".  No appointment; "just bring her to medical NOW."  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

DaKahuna, that was my experience also when I had a severe case of food poisoning on the ship a year or 2 before covid shut the world down.  DH caught heck, from the medical staff,  for listening to my insisting on waiting until 4 pm when medical "reopened".  No appointment; "just bring her to medical NOW."  

Both of my experiences were post COVID.  The first one I simply acted a fool and consumed too much alcohol and not enough water and dehydrated myself. 

The second time I forgot my age and was climbing, or trying to, around on the rocks at the old gold processing mine while on an excursion in Aruba and fell skinning my knee, opening a small gash on my arm, and smaller cuts/bruises (I feel twice - stupid me).  

I never even thought to call medical.  I just made sure it was during their open hours, based on the daily planner, and went straight there. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 9:14 AM, hcat said:

good luck..glad its working out and that you have med coverage..

we always buy sep insurance...for evac med etc..As noted  Medicare does not cover and neither does our secondary.

We always buy coverage that includes evacuation and repatriation of remains. I don't think either would be covered under the Medigap Plan G's foreign travel emergency medical amount, which is $50k lifetime.

All Medigap Plans C, D, F, G, M and N provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage, but I only know about the amount limitation on Plan G. Not sure how much the other plans cover.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:15 PM, floralscent said:

I will report back on reimbursement outcomes later so this info is available later for someone who finds themselves in this same situation. 

One more thing you might want to get while your on the  ship is a copy of the doctors notes along with the bill to send in with your claim. Travel insurance wants everything and not just the bill. Much easier to get now rather than later. 

• Like 2