Spirit of Adventure: riding out the storm ?

FannyLiz

16 minutes ago, Glad Bailey said:

SOD conditions horrendous with broken glasses/cups etc in cabin.

Have been several injuries and we have been told to stay

in cabins sitting down.

Some are questioning as to why we entered the Bay of Biscay as we

still have a long way to go.

The Spirit of Discovery is currently just doing between 4 and 7 knots about 70 miles North of La Coruna in NW Spain. The ship is reporting a strong gale with winds of about 23.4 m/s (about 45 knots) and high seas of 11.1 m.

Good news is that winds are forecast to subside later today and tomorrow.

• Like 2

Sounds awful. Is there any further news of injuries ? Not serious I hope.

SOA is sailing from Falmouth this evening. They think they are going direct to A Coruna. At one point Brest was mentioned so I wonder if that is the fall back if it is too stormy en route. Apparently the ports are full with sheltering ships so hard to find somewhere to go.

Good luck those on SOA tonight and I hope the winds drop soon.

No reports on the injuries I am afraid.Let’s hope none are serious.

Have to give full marks to crew.

We had message over tannoy to say menus are to be delivered to cabins,

We are asked to fill in requests and food will be delivered.

Its horrendous for us passengers but must be as bad if not worst for crew

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Glad Bailey said:

SOD conditions horrendous with broken glasses/cups etc in cabin.

Have been several injuries and we have been told to stay

in cabins sitting down.

Some are questioning as to why we entered the Bay of Biscay as we

still have a long way to go.

Hi, I've been looking on a website called windy.com, which you may find helpful in your current situation.

From what I can see, it doesn't appear that its going to get any worse than it is now, but, the conditions look as if they will persist for the rest of the day, and will improve tomorrow - but the improvement is relatively speaking - it will still be windy, and wave heights are predicted to be around 5 - 6 metres.

I recommend strawberries for pud: they taste the same going down and coming up.

Hope you get some sleep tonight.  All credit to the staff, even if they are not feeling sick simply moving around in those conditions can leave you aching all over. At least you are not in the actual Bay of Biscay where winds have been getting up to 100 mph on the coast. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Glad Bailey said:

Seas still violent but hopefully wind will start to drop before morning

Dinner has just been brought to cabin - bangers and mash on paper

plates.

The staff are really going the extra mile

Thank you Glad Bailey for keeping us informed. Hope you manage to get some sleep.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FannyLiz said:

Sounds awful. Is there any further news of injuries ? Not serious I hope.

SOA is sailing from Falmouth this evening. They think they are going direct to A Coruna. At one point Brest was mentioned so I wonder if that is the fall back if it is too stormy en route. Apparently the ports are full with sheltering ships so hard to find somewhere to go.

Good luck those on SOA tonight and I hope the winds drop soon.

If SoA captain has any sense wait till morning

2 hours ago, FannyLiz said:

I recommend strawberries for pud: they taste the same going down and coming up.

Hope you get some sleep tonight.  All credit to the staff, even if they are not feeling sick simply moving around in those conditions can leave you aching all over. At least you are not in the actual Bay of Biscay where winds have been getting up to 100 mph on the coast. 

They tell you to have a kipper breakfast before the boat to the Scillies for the same reason.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Straight  into 7m waves, building up to 8 to 9m once an hour or two out. Not as bad as SoD is experiencing,  but not pleasant. 

Showing 5.4 on CM. Wonder if there was an option to just go home. Love a bit of rough sea but less the older I get.

3 minutes ago, JMMKUK said:

Showing 5.4 on CM. Wonder if there was an option to just go home. Love a bit of rough sea but less the older I get.

My friend on board did not mention that option. I suppose they could not stop anyone who wanted to get off- being Saga they’d probably got them a taxi and train ticket.

11 minutes ago, FannyLiz said:

My friend on board did not mention that option. I suppose they could not stop anyone who wanted to get off- being Saga they’d probably got them a taxi and train ticket.

Probably a Titan car all the way home. Trains were 20 years ago, guy jumped off & lifted our cases, at Euston a vehicle arrived for all the cases. We then spent a lot of time at Euston.

Hi all, first post. I ended up here because like windsurfboy im local to Falmouth and  had an interest in SoA at the port. I’ve since been following the movements of other ships through these storms over the past week on CM. First up Glad, I really hope your coping ok out there it must be utterly terrifying been in seas of this state. Secondly, my uninformed observation is that Saga cruises appear to be putting schedule before safety..Why the hell have they now got two ships out there when every other line is holed up? One ship could be down to poor captaincy but two?? Maybe i’m missing the point but this screams of commercial pressures to me.

Edited by Method81
Poor grammar
  • Like 1