Spirit of Adventure: riding out the storm ?

FannyLiz

54 minutes ago, FannyLiz said:

6.45 PM ?  That is a whole day later than they expected. And why Brest I wonder ?

Storm Domingos might have something to do with it there won’t be much traffic across Biscay at the weekend 

I don’t think I will start my packing for Tuesday this afternoon as planned !  If Discovery shelters in A Coruna until Monday she is going to be hard pressed to get back to Portsmouth by Tuesday, early morning.

Do any of you seasoned cruisers know what will happen ? Will our travel arrangements just be shifted on to Wednesday or will we have to travel as planned and stay in a hotel in Portsmouth area ready for as fast as possible a departure when Discovery is ready ?

52 minutes ago, FannyLiz said:

I don’t think I will start my packing for Tuesday this afternoon as planned !  If Discovery shelters in A Coruna until Monday she is going to be hard pressed to get back to Portsmouth by Tuesday, early morning.

Do any of you seasoned cruisers know what will happen ? Will our travel arrangements just be shifted on to Wednesday or will we have to travel as planned and stay in a hotel in Portsmouth area ready for as fast as possible a departure when Discovery is ready ?

Edited by Banjo an

1 hour ago, FannyLiz said:

If the High Winds are likely to be directly behind SOD through the Bay the passage should be less bumpy. If she leaves PM on Sunday this means on time in Portsmouth. If SOD is delayed slightly on route Saga will just arrange to embark you later (a phone call to delay your pick up will tell you this).

• Like 1

News from 'elsewhere' regarding SOD

The are expecting 6m swells this afternoon and the Britannia Lounge and the Grill have been closed off for the rest of the day   (is this normal for SAGA,  closing  INSIDE areas on high decks?  I've never seen this happen on other ships that I've been on during challenging weather)

The same person has also reported that La Coruna is now closed. So they are heading straight to the Bay of Biscay, where they expect a rough ride.

Oh Dear!  They must be expecting very challenging weather. The other restaurants will be very busy if the Grill is closed. 

Is SOD heading straight back to Portsmouth?

Edited by LandC

Nasty ! I wonder if they could take shelter in Santander, not very far along the coast and plenty of berths. 

I hope they have all that lovely art work stuck down firmly. Fingers crossed for the passengers and crew. I dounbt there will be many eating tonight. We’ve often found on the ferries that you are asked to stay in your cabin so you can’t actually get out to eat even if you felt like it.

Edited by FannyLiz

45 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

News from 'elsewhere' regarding SOD

The are expecting 6m swells this afternoon and the Britannia Lounge and the Grill have been closed off for the rest of the day   (is this normal for SAGA,  closing  INSIDE areas on high decks?  I've never seen this happen on other ships that I've been on during challenging weather)

The same person has also reported that La Coruna is now closed. So they are heading straight to the Bay of Biscay, where they expect a rough ride.

Currently Cruise Mapper still shows calling @ La Coruna. Problem is that currently 6.4 metre waves with wind side on!.

Having seen a similar situation on the Saga Saphire (lot of sss' in that sentence) Windsurfboy has hit the reason.

The weather was pretty wild, and the self service restaurant needed steady feet to get a tray (or even a cup) back to the table. Several of us could cope OK.  Many decided self-service was not an option for them, and others heeded the announcements that it would be best to use the MDR and sit down in comfort for full waiter service during the rough weather.

A minority wanted to use the self service, but being totally unable to collect their food themselves, decided to sit down and demand a member of staff go and get it for them.

One chap arrived, was actually caught by a staff member as he lost his footing on arrival, and we heard him say (while being held upright by same staff member) "I won't be told where I can eat my lunch".

What could Saga do?

risk somebody breaking their neck because they wanted to eat where they wanted to eat? Only one answer - close the verandah restaurant.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LandC said:

Oh Dear!  They must be expecting very challenging weather. The other restaurants will be very busy if the Grill is closed. 

Is SOD heading straight back to Portsmouth?

I think Room Service will be busy rather than the MDR & speciality restaurants.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I understand Brittania lounge at front closed, front is always worst.

Grill is midships?. Perhaps  it's closed because they don't want people carrying trays, want hands free to hold hand rails.

Grill is Aft. Stay in A549 & you'll know I'm right.

4 minutes ago, nosapphire said:.

What could Saga do?

risk somebody breaking their neck because they wanted to eat where they wanted to eat? Only one answer - close the verandah restaurant.

Brittany Ferries answer is usually the announcement that everyone must stay in their cabin and if anyone is injured  after disobeying this order then BF will not be held responsible. However, I guess Saga have to be a little nicer.

La Corona bay once they get there should be sheltered from WSW wind and swell, tomorrow looks worst day and as has been said side on to W wind and swell. Everyone should be happy to wait in La Coruna as things settle  a bit on Sunday.

We will be packed and ready on Tuesday morning.  But I  hope if it is late that they delay pick up. We have a 7.15 to 7.45 window,  won't be happy to get up at silly O'clock and then spend hours in terminal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FannyLiz said:

Brittany Ferries answer is usually the announcement that everyone must stay in their cabin and if anyone is injured  after disobeying this order then BF will not be held responsible. However, I guess Saga have to be a little nicer.

My Aunt & Uncle were on a cruise in the Canaries where they were confined to their cabins for 3 days. They had an inside cabin. I think I'd have had a breakdown.

11 minutes ago, JMMKUK said:

My Aunt & Uncle were on a cruise in the Canaries where they were confined to their cabins for 3 days. They had an inside cabin. I think I'd have had a breakdown.

Quite ! I’m intrigued to know why A Coruna port closed. I thought that during a potentially life threatening storm any port that a ship could shelter in had to take them ?  As Windsurfboy says earlier, the port entrance is fairly sheltered so I would have thought they could get in if necessary.

6 minutes ago, JMMKUK said:

Grill is Aft. Stay in A549 & you'll know I'm right.

memory got me wrong. You would have Verandah above A549, which would be even noisier with hard deck than carpeted Grill. Grill inside ends further forward above A541, Grill is a bit more like mid aft.

My rule is never to have cabin under or above public space. Boss says if we can't get midships don't go. We've got B028 dead midships. But with side on waves even midships can be uncomfortable. 

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

memory got me wrong. You would have Verandah above A549, which would be even noisier with hard deck than carpeted Grill. Grill inside ends further forward above A541, Grill is a bit more like mid aft.

My rule is never to have cabin under or above public space. Boss says if we can't get midships don't go. We've got B028 dead midships. But with side on waves even midships can be uncomfortable. 

Much less wobble on E-Deck!.

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Never been midship on Saga. You don't need an alarm clock for breakfast in A549 & you get a free smoke if the wind is in the wrong direction.

I figure mid ship is between the 2 blocks of lifts so the Living room, Library, North/South Cape & the Lido are all mid.

B028 is between them & convenient for the launderette for stuff that can't be washed by the ship.

On SOD at present

Captain’s latest announcement,as La Coruna is closed we are

pressing on to the Bay of Biscay,but should keep ahead of upcoming

storm.

Should be bumpy though.

He hasn’t said if we are going direct back to Portsmouth or

stopping somewhere else.

Spending more time in cabin than usual but they are still

putting on shows and lectures in theatre.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Glad Bailey said:

On SOD at present

Captain’s latest announcement,as La Coruna is closed we are

pressing on to the Bay of Biscay,but should keep ahead of upcoming

storm.

Should be bumpy though.

He hasn’t said if we are going direct back to Portsmouth or

stopping somewhere else.

Spending more time in cabin than usual but they are still

putting on shows and lectures in theatre.

Perhaps you can shelter in Falmouth like SoA and we can sneak on a day early. 

• Haha 1