Another newb question. End of cruise billing / statement.

So, this is our first cruise and we admittedly went overboard (if the pun fits) on amenities.   This may be a 1 and done or we may love it.  But we want to be able to evaluate and see what the best way to spend money would be.  Since we have the drinks package and special dining (FAS) I know they still "charge" you but then the price is discounted off so your receipt shows 0.00 (unless taxes of course)  At the end of the cruise, can you get an itemized printout of everything or will it be like a credit card statement where it will just show "tobacco road 0.00" on whatever date it was.. If I really want to see what I would have spent if I didnt have packages, do I need to ask for and keep every transaction receipt?  Only thing I can see that they may not swipe your card for is if you have the drinks package and get  like a fountain cola, or will they still swipe it even for that?  That almost just seems like something they wouldnt keep as close as track of. 

Thanks again for your answers.   🙂 

They will swipe it at port for alcohol drinks since there will be taxes charged.  Rule of thumb though for the drinks package is 2-3 drinks cost about the same as the daily taxes.  So, if you have 3 or more it covers the cost.

The math gets a bit trickier if you try to figure out the differences when booking a Sailaway room.

your onboard account statement in the app and what guest services prints out is like a credit card statement that shows tobacco road 0.00

for drinks, you can ask the wait staff for a receipt if needed but they usually don't have it on hand right away 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

your onboard account statement in the app and what guest services prints out is like a credit card statement that shows tobacco road 0.00

for drinks, you can ask the wait staff for a receipt if needed but they usually don't have it on hand right away 

I wasnt sure if they had you sign for every drink or not.  They just scan and go then?  

7 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I wasnt sure if they had you sign for every drink or not.  They just scan and go then?  

on the cruises ive been on it it seems to depend on the bar tenders and waiters. some still print out the receipt that you need to sign and some just scan the card without printing the receipt. 

when i was on the escape, i saw bar tenders swipe the card and then throw the receipt the machine printed in the trash can

• Like 1

It's unlikely you'll be able to track your drinks but as previously stated, 3 drinks a day pretty much covers trhe gratuities you pay for the FAS drinks.

You will be able to access your onboard account on your TV and the NCL App during your cruise.  You can also get a print out from guest services.  I recommend checking it regularly because mistakes do happen and they're easier to correct while onboard.  The onboard account information will disappear late on your last night and you will receive an email with the complete breakdown from NCL.  Many people don't realize the NCL email is not the usual promotional email so keep your eye out for it.

Also, the internet minutes expire the last night of the cruise which isn't generally an issue if your final port is in the US but may be problematic if you're cruising overseas. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

If I really want to see what I would have spent if I didnt have packages, do I need to ask for and keep every transaction receipt? 

We've never signed for drinks, nor have we ever gotten a receipt when ordering a drink. The only receipt we ever saw was in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 2

@D_And_K_gocruising I'm not sure there's a way to itemize your consumables in the granular way you are suggesting.  As you've read from others above, you may or may not see bar/drink orders on your folio depending on whether you are in port (where taxes may be due) or whether you perhaps exceeded the $15 per drink allowance (with you paying the difference + gratuity). 

You will, however, see the bill for specialty dining as you will get that receipt at the end of the meal.  The balance will be zero if you are using your Free at Sea benefit.  The rack rate retail prices for your meal, however, are outrageous, so fair warning on that should you be weighing pros/cons of upgrading to the packages.

Here's unsolicited advice (which we love to dole out on these boards):

Don't sweat on the accounting, just enjoy your cruise.  If you have the basic drink package (not the upgraded "Premium Plus" drink package), you are with the majority of your fellow cruisers and people on these NCL boards.  It's a smart play that's a no-brainer if you have at least 2 or 3 drinks a day.

Have a great cruise!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

They will swipe it at port for alcohol drinks since there will be taxes charged.  Rule of thumb though for the drinks package is 2-3 drinks cost about the same as the daily taxes.  So, if you have 3 or more it covers the cost.

The math gets a bit trickier if you try to figure out the differences when booking a Sailaway room.

Most ports don’t charge taxes on drinks, I know nyc does since that’s where we cruise out of. As a wine/cocktail drinker, most cost $12+, so I make out better by the 2nd one, $24+ vs. the $21 gratuity.

3 hours ago, JGmf said:

Here's unsolicited advice (which we love to dole out on these boards):

Don't sweat on the accounting, just enjoy your cruise.  If you have the basic drink package (not the upgraded "Premium Plus" drink package), you are with the majority of your fellow cruisers and people on these NCL boards.  It's a smart play that's a no-brainer if you have at least 2 or 3 drinks a day.

Have a great cruise!! 

Oh, you sooooo don't live in my brain lol... 😄 😄 😄   But I do get where you're coming from

On the Joy currently. When I pull up account on TV it only shows items that had a charge. Only drinks showing it the ones we got in Miami that had taxes charged. Don't see all the other drinks. Years ago on our first NCL I remember been able to see every drink scanned. That was the Getaway. 

You never sign anything for drinks, they take your card and swipe and return, that's it. You do have to sign the specialty dining receipt. They have a spot to leave an extra tip if you feel like doing so. We leave cash. 

You can look at bar menus on line to get cost of drinks without package.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, mjkacmom said:

Most ports don’t charge taxes on drinks, I know nyc does since that’s where we cruise out of. As a wine/cocktail drinker, most cost $12+, so I make out better by the 2nd one, $24+ vs. the $21 gratuity.

Sorry, should have clarified.  All US ports will charge taxes on alcoholic drinks.

You can just try to manually keep track of how many drinks/what kind  and figure out what the cost per drink was, and total it up...same as specialty dinning.  That will give you a rough figure of the value of what you consumed.  From there you can determine whether or not the package was worth it.

We do try and track number of alcoholic drinks a day,  I have a knitting row counter on a chain and click one for each drink, a golf shot tracker works too. Just ✖ the total by $12 for a good guesstimate of what you might spend. Yes I know drinks are various prices and you have to factor I tips but it will give you a ball park. If you loose track of numbers then you are almost certainly ahead of the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2