advice for things to do in Port Douglas and Airlie Beach

DT1304

Hi all

There are 5 of us so booking anything through the ship is ludicrously expensive.

I have looked on other travel sites and as we are tendered in these ports it is difficult to find suitable things to do that fit in with timing, unless we go with the ship excursions.

Have you all got any advise for what to do in Port Douglas and Airlie beach.

Family of five

I'd love to get to Whitehaven beach. Is there a way to get there that is not a full day tour like a ferry or boat taxi?

I am going on scenic railway and skyrail from Cairns so dont want to do that from Port Douglas.

Have you been to them before?

If not, I have found depending on it not raining, its a pleasant walk around the towns, and beach fronts,

Same with Cairns, although the Art Gallery & Museum in Cairns are excellent.

So if you have been to Port Douglas previously, maybe swap some of your planned Cairns excursions to Port Douglas.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

Mossman Gorge is only a short distance from Port Douglas. There's a bus service to get there, then you take a shuttle bus into the Gorge.   If the bus timetable doesn't fit your ship times well, you could take a taxi one way and come back on the bus. there is also a company that does private bus transfers. https://beepbeeptoot.com.au/get-to-mossman-gorge

https://www.mossmangorge.com.au/

Airlie Beach and Port Douglas are both tender ports which makes it impossible to connect with regular reef or Whitehaven Beach trips.

Whitehaven Beach is on the far side of one of the Whitsunday Islands. I think it took about an hour in a fast RIB to get there and we only really had time for a swim and lunch. But it was very beautiful.

You might be able to do a Daintree Tour from Port Douglas but timing might be tricky. Look online for tours. If I recall who we went with years ago I'll let you know. It was a small group vehicle.

Port Douglas is an easy walk into town from the wharf, then a walk through the town to the beautiful Four Mile Beach.  There is a swimming enclosure on the beach.  When I was there in the stinger season, a youth was skimming outside the edge of the enclosure plus there was a sign to stay away from the edge.  The water looking so inviting and swimmers were having such fun, I wished I had taken my swimming togs. There were a couple of cafes on the beachfront.  You can enjoy a gelato or smoothie from Shakes Gelati Bar on the way back to the ship.  A perfect relaxing day in tropical Port Douglas.  

• Thanks 1

Hi, thanks @MMDown Under for the info re swimming enclosure at Port Douglas, that must be newish as I didn't know it was there, although we've previously been there out of stinger season. Will be there in a few weeks with family, so good to know.

As regards Airlie Beach, there's no way to do Whitehaven except by ship's tour because of arrival time. So we bit the bullet and paid the exhorbiton ship's price. The lookout points and views of the beach were stunning and the time at the beach great too - first place I've been where private planes park in the beach itself! At the beach we had time for a quick dip, the water was cold so we definitely didn't stay in for long, and scoffed the very nice boxed lunch, and it was then time to leave. We would have liked to also walk up and down the beach, but there wasn't time. The fast (euphemistically termed "exhilarating") trip there and back wasn't the most comfortable and for those sitting in the wrong locations, they got drenched. Because of the cost and the short time at Whitehaven, I'm 50/50 as to whether I'd recommend it. On an upcoming trip to Airlie Beach, we'll wander around the town and spend our time at the very attractive and pleasant free lagoon, which are both an easy stroll from the tender dock. 

From Port Douglas, we took the Wavedancer trip to Low Isles as somebody mentioned above. Was amazing! One of the best excursions we've ever done! For Airlie Beach we took the excursion to Daydream Island. Both booked via the ship though. If you're going to go all that way.. can't understand the logic in skimping on the excursions! Book an interior room or something to free up funds for the excursions. 

Hi, as you are Aussies, I personally feel that the Barrier Reef and Whitehaven are better done from a week or so's land-based holiday to Port Douglas and Airlie. That way you can do the stunning and still colorful Outer Reef snorkelling from PD, and do a decent day trip from Airlie Beach to Whitehaven, for more time to fully appreciate these iconic destinations 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 8:58 PM, 2022cruisey said:

The crocodile tour at Airlie Beach is excellent.

I second this.

River safari spotting crocodiles in their natural habitat and then BBQ lunch - was really good

but not sure how you would go time wise  doing it from a cruise- we were on land holiday staying in Airlie Beach

• Like 1