Medical Evac from Iona just now

TigerB

We've been out to deck 8 for the departure from Barcelona, primarily to watch the pier runners. An ambulance arrived about forty minutes ago. One gangway had already been retracted, and the other one was starting to be retracted, but it appeared there were passengers still waiting to board, held back by ship's security.

The ambulance moved closer to the ship, and a gangway was extended from deck 3 or 4, forward port side. They brought someone down in a wheelchair and they were placed on the ambulance.

The passengers that were held back ate now being allowed back onboard.

I do hope the person taken off, whether it be a passenger or crew member, are looked after and get well soon.

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Oh dear, hope they are ok.

I bet the people being held back were getting panicked!

They possibly did, but I don't know why they couldn't have still gone across the larger gangway that was still connected to deck 6; they certainly weren't late coming back.

It was a good twenty minutes before they assembled the shorter gangway from deck 3/4, delaying the disembarkation of the patient. I suppose though that it was closer to the medical centre and would have been more private for the patient.

Anyway, I wish the patient well.

• Like 3

They always remove one gangway and force the remaining guest through the other with about 30 mins to go.

It maybe that they needed a different gangway at the forward doors for the wheelchair to exit hence the others being held back - there are only so many gangway staff on duty at that point so likely they were needing to redeploy them to the medical evacuation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

They always remove one gangway and force the remaining guest through the other with about 30 mins to go.

It maybe that they needed a different gangway at the forward doors for the wheelchair to exit hence the others being held back - there are only so many gangway staff on duty at that point so likely they were needing to redeploy them to the medical evacuation.

Thanks for explaining!👍 

We can always rely our 'insider' 🙂

The ambulance crew left the ship about forty minutes or so ago with their gurney that had the medical equipment on it. No one was taken off, so hopefully they are okay.

The ambulance and port police have since left. We are still tied up and there are still a couple of crew members on the quayside. I haven't seen the stevedores return.

Hopefully, the captain will not decide on an overnight in Valencia 

I have just come across this thread from a quick Google search. I'm currently on Iona. Take some of what im about to say with a pinch of salt as it's just smoking area talk that I've overheard. 

2 passengers apparently died during Saturday evening. 

There was a delay at one of the departures due to someone breaking their arm and waiting for them to get back on the ship.

A couple have been kicked off for poor behaviour. 

We were in brodies last night and they made an announcement to day the horse races couldn't go ahead as we were unable to leave the port due a poorly passenger. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The poor behaviour one would not surprise me at all. We're a young couple who like a drink and are always up for a good time don't get me wrong, but even we've felt a bit awkward and uneasy around some of the people on this sailing. A few examples I've personally witnessed.

Young lass swearing and shouting in the lift and pressing the button to close the doors as quick as she can and blocking people from getting in and then laughing hysterically about it with her very obvious sted head boyfriend.

The fancy dress competition in the club house, we were just sat there watching as my lad took part. One of the women in the parade just walked out of it and sat on me and started grinding up against me and stroking my face (for context I'm a 30 year old female with my boyfriend sat next to me) I wasn't bothered at all and laughed it off but I could imagine that would make someone feel very uncomfortable. 

Another girl in brodies absolutely wasted last night, and grabbing every stranger and crew for a selfie and shouting across the room at times. 

Mums screaming at their kids across the deck and room, so loud and clearly don't care. 

Another lady in one of the MDR's on Saturday in joggers and sliders shouting at the waiter about a delay with her dessert (how she was ever let in the first place I don't know).

The smoking area after 10pm is a sight to behold. 

It wasn't like this at all on our Norway cruise last year on Iona. At times its felt a bit benidorm on sea (and I like bendiorm 😂). 

Hasn't put us off, but looking forward to doing Ventura next year for a change. 

Obviously this is my opinion and thoughts, I'm sure many others will disagree. 

Edited by Miss-bev-macker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Wow, I'm clearly going to all the wrong places on board as I've not seen any of this!  I've been manhandled out the way by someone desperate to see the keyrings in an on board shop.  Seen a few drunk people but all good humoured.  Also some barging in front in lifts.  Not all disabilities are visible.  But that's about it.  Ultimately there are 5,000+ people onboard, there will be the odd incident or three.

I dread to think what you would have to do to actually get booted half way round.

• Like 2

Sounds like you're going to all the right places, and we're going to wrong ones 😂

It is what it is. We love Iona and cruising in general, just this sailing seems to be a little different compared to previous ones. Still having a good time and it wouldn't put us off. 

• Like 6

Sorry to say and I don't want to sound snobbish that P&O seem to be that desperate to fill their larger ships they are allowing the wrong type of clientele onboard. I also believe that the drinks package and the quest for value for money means people are drinking more or an amount they should not be doing. All in the name of profit.

• Like 10

It is not easy for P and O to decide who they don't like the sound of when they book!   But we all know  exactly what you mean, majortom.  Hard to say more without sounding very snobby and superior.

A cheap cruise with the added incentive of an inclusive drinks package will inevitably lead to too many 'party people' who behave badly, sadly.

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It is not easy for P and O to decide who they don't like the sound of when they book!   But we all know  exactly what you mean, majortom.  Hard to say more without sounding very snobby and superior.

A cheap cruise with the added incentive of an inclusive drinks package will inevitably lead to too many 'party people' who behave badly, sadly.

Could I just clarify where you mention about the incentive of an inclusive drinkls package, we are on Arvia in January and we havnt been offered any drinks package other the one you have to pay for.

Following my Britannia Christmas cruise last year, I raised the question of unruly behaviour by fellow guests and was told in no uncertain terms by P&O that they are not responsible for their customers' personal behaviour.  This complaint included drunken behaviour during and after the World Cup final and football related rivalries on Boxing Day where I had the misfortune to be physically assaulted by a man.  Security staff were called to the second incident but their action resulted in a request to those sitting in that part of the deck area to move to a different section while the very nervous bar staff were instructed to continue serving the inebriated and disruptive group.  I was told that this course of action was preferable to it "all kicking off" by a large group.

Basically luck of the draw who's onboard with you nowadays.  My Arvia cruise in May I saw no behaviour of that type, yes a few who'd had a few too many but not aggressive or annoying to other passengers.  My own opinion (as a football fan) is that the broadcasting of football matches unfortunately leads to problems with these types of people as they drink heavily while watching them.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cash123 said:

Could I just clarify where you mention about the incentive of an inclusive drinkls package, we are on Arvia in January and we havnt been offered any drinks package other the one you have to pay for.

Sorry - I just meant that you could have an included drinks package, I am aware that it is not included in the cheap fares.  And I do understand that it is for 'only' so many drinks per day, not as many drinks as you can neck down!

We have heard plenty of gobby folk, but you get that anywhere.

The only really drunken behaviour we have witnessed was a guy heckling Yzzy at the end of her middle show in the Club House the other night. She was quick with a comeback. When we left at the end of her set he was laid sparko on one of the benches, being seen to by crew.

Further to my post at #8, I was back out on deck later to see the ambulance crew leave the ship not long after 22:00, with the gurney and all the medical equipment on it. I had hoped that was because the patient was fine, but thought it was likely because they had passed away. That was confirmed the next day by a couple who had a relative working onboard. It is not at all uncommon, but still very sad for all those concerned.

It is my understanding that we didn't leave until almost 02:00 because the stevedores have gone to do other duties on the port.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Cheap prices don't help. Sadly antisocial behaviour was one of the things that put me off going on Iona again. 

I do not think size of ship is a reason of anti social behaviour. We have encountered occasional incidents on all sizes of ships. We even encountered a male passenger attack with fists a waiter in the Lido buffet restaurant one lunchtime on QE2. Long before drinks packages and would expect better from clientele on a Cunard ship but obviously not.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I do not think size of ship is a reason of anti social behaviour. We have encountered occasional incidents on all sizes of ships. We even encountered a male passenger attack with fists a waiter in the Lido buffet restaurant one lunchtime on QE2. Long before drinks packages and would expect better from clientele on a Cunard ship but obviously not.

Regardless of whether you are on P&O or Cunard or any other cruise line with or without drinks packages there will always be someone who doesn't behave in what you personally consider to be an acceptable way.  Money does not change someone who has a loutish attitude.  I was brought up by a mother who liked to say "Treat others as you would like to be treated" 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Regardless of whether you are on P&O or Cunard or any other cruise line with or without drinks packages there will always be someone who doesn't behave in what you personally consider to be an acceptable way.  Money does not change someone who has a loutish attitude.  I was brought up by a mother who liked to say "Treat others as you would like to be treated" 

The most uncouth couple I ever encountered were in one of the most expensive Queen Grills suites on QM2 overlooking the lido . They were having a loud conversation with the couple in the next suite and they couldn’t string a sentence together without the “F” word. You couldn’t avoid hearing  because they were so loud. 

11 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

The most uncouth couple I ever encountered were in one of the most expensive Queen Grills suites on QM2 overlooking the lido . They were having a loud conversation with the couple in the next suite and they couldn’t string a sentence together without the “F” word. You couldn’t avoid hearing  because they were so loud. 

At sea and on land unfortunately, we went out for lunch the other day and found a table next to three, very well dressed  'older' gents.  After two minutes we had to move as the language was appalling 😒