Tell me about MSC

PatandStu

I’m hoping to buy a short cruise for my daughter & I as a Christmas gift to her. Budget is tight. TA found an incredible deal on MSC Magnifica.
I have previously cruised Disney, Royal, carnival, NCL & most recently, Celebrity. 
How does MSC compare? 
There would be 2 days at Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve. 
But, dd is not much of a lie-on-the-beach kinda gal. She likes exploring new places, especially places with animals. 
Thoughts? 
Thanks for any input, Pat 

Two things I would recommend:

Read up on the four "experiences" on MSC. Each has its own price level, and its own benefits. For example, Bella and Fantastica have set dining for dinner, and Aurea has anytime dining.  If you have a strong preference, choose accordingly. Other things, such as room service, also vary.

If you have a loyalty level with one of the other lines, it can be worth applying for status match with MSC. That can give you some nice benefits.

We think Ocean Cay is the most wonderful private island in the Bahamas. However, it is mainly a beach place, although we loved just walking around.  No animals, apart from the snorkeling, and turtle hatcheries.

We really enjoyed our MSC cruises. Ours were 7 nights.  I've read that the shorter ones tend to be more party/booze cruise atmosphere.

I don’t think you will find what you are looking for in a short cruise from Florida.  None of them will go anywhere but the Bahamas.  If you want to try a different cruise line just to get away, try MSC.  Ocean Cay is a beach paradise, but I wouldn’t call it unspoiled.  Because it was very spoiled when MSC leased it and took a couple years cleaning it up and making it into that paradise.  
   If you do decide to go for it, try not to book an inside or OV cabin for more that two, or you will be faced with those extra bunks on the side walls.  EM

Let’s just say MSC is cheap for a reason. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. We have sailed with several different lines. And MSC is never the line I search for first but they do come in cheap. Some complain about the food quality, also how inconsistent everything this. Service can be slow employees are not as friendly. The shows are very poor in production value, just someone singing to a playback track not live music. It’s almost like a Pro-Am karaoke . 
Honestly I can’t think of one thing they do better than any other line. 

I would suggest you look at other lines.... to meet your daughters excursion needs.  Other lines offer 4/5 night cruises which include stops at Cozumel and Costa Maya. She would be able to see wildlife and cultural learning.

Not saying Ocean Cay is bad...but its really a beach/snorkeling stop. 

Then again she may meet friends to hangout with and have a blast.

14 minutes ago, Cashsmoney said:

Let’s just say MSC is cheap for a reason. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. We have sailed with several different lines. And MSC is never the line I search for first but they do come in cheap. Some complain about the food quality, also how inconsistent everything this. Service can be slow employees are not as friendly. The shows are very poor in production value, just someone singing to a playback track not live music. It’s almost like a Pro-Am karaoke . 

Thanks for the honest reply.  In fairness, we aren’t looking for glamour, although decent food would be nice. It’s more a nice getaway for mom & daughter after what has been a challenging year. 

25 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

Thanks for the honest reply.  In fairness, we aren’t looking for glamour, although decent food would be nice. It’s more a nice getaway for mom & daughter after what has been a challenging year. 

Yeah it would work. Especially if price is a big factor. The ships themselves are beautiful. But like others said if seeing nature is a top priority that itinerary doesn’t sound like a good fit. However ocean cay is one of the better private islands. 

1 hour ago, Cashsmoney said:

Obviously you haven't stayed in Yacht Club..... Best value at Sea with top notch service

27 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

Yacht club? I’m betting that comes with a higher price tag, no? 

27 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

Yacht club? I’m betting that comes with a higher price tag, no? 

Yes.... It is an inclusive area...Ship within ship concept. With the exception of going to a show or getting off ship at ports.... you have everything you need to be pampered with out leaving this area if you choose (Restaurant, Bars, Pool deck, Concierge, your own Butler, etc). It is more expensive...but cheaper than other similar type areas on other lines (i.e Celebrity Reflections and NCL Haven). 

1 hour ago, Cashsmoney said:

Which MSC ships have you been on?  Just did fourth Mera and one show was crew but all others high end production shows with a cast of 20 including band excluding techs.  That was over ten days.

6 hours ago, PatandStu said:

I’m hoping to buy a short cruise for my daughter & I as a Christmas gift to her. Budget is tight. TA found an incredible deal on MSC Magnifica.
I have previously cruised Disney, Royal, carnival, NCL & most recently, Celebrity. 
How does MSC compare? 
There would be 2 days at Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve. 
But, dd is not much of a lie-on-the-beach kinda gal. She likes exploring new places, especially places with animals. 
Thoughts? 
Thanks for any input, Pat 

I enjoy MSC but I always book either the Yacht Club or the Aurea Experience. The rest of the ship outside of the Yacht Club and the Aurea sundeck is almost always very crowded and bustling, with very few places to escape the crowds (except your own veranda, if you have one).  For example, almost all of the seating on the sundecks that are open to all guests gets taken early in the morning, often by "chair hogs". You almost never find any "incredible deals" on the Yacht Club or the Aurea Experience.

The short MSC cruises usually go to only Nassau and Ocean Cay. I love Ocean Cay; it is a gorgeous island but it is a "lie-on-the-beach kinda" place and you say that your daughter is not "a lie-on-the-beach kinda gal".  There are no animals on Ocean Cay except for some turtles. On the other hand, she may enjoy Nassau. One can swim with dolphins at Blue Lagoon Island and there are the famous flamingos and wildlife conservation center at Ardastra Gardens. If you do want to see all of Nassau, it is important to read the schedule carefully, since the time at Nassau is often much shorter than the time at Ocean Cay.

By the way, I would never try to compare MSC with Disney or Celebrity. Except for the Yacht Club, MSC is not in their price category and no other cruise line is anything like Disney. IMHO, MSC does compare very will Royal and Carnival (and I have not been in NCL).

I don’t like that it all comes down to money, but this year that’s my reality. And my daughter will appreciate whatever she gets & wherever she travels. She’s an awesome gal that way. 
Still looking for Black Friday sales. 
I appreciate all the feedback! 
Pat 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Obviously you haven't stayed in Yacht Club..... Best value at Sea with top notch service

Well you know that they say when you “assume”…….

Yes I have been on the YC, I actually sail mostly premium products on cruises. We have done YC on MSC, Haven, Suites in RC, Mega Rockstar on Virgin, Disney, and booked our first for January Celebrity Reflection. 

and yes it’s a value, my personal experience was that the service was good was still below what other lines offer. I keep hearing how the YC is great, yet no real explanations. We are trying YC again in a couple weeks. The last YC experience was post covid and we were on the Seashore, leading up to our spring break cruise they where only sailing with 500-700 people then that sailing jumped to over 3000, but still well under the max for that ship. It was a disaster. Some things I could chalk up to them being overwhelmed others I can’t. 

Their “up notch” service, in order for my to contact my Buttler I had to call the concierge, then they would relay that message to my Buttler and it may or may not happen. 
   One time I wanted to order pizza to the YC pool, I think maybe the buffet was closed. I was told no, no way. On NCL I was swimming in the Haven kids wanted chicken wings from the sports bar. I called my Buttler directly 20 minutes later we had wings, plus a bunch of fries and other things I didn’t order. 
The food in the YC restaurant well better than the MDR was below its competitors. 
   Oh another annoying thing was pool towels. I don’t know if this is fleet wide or just on that ship. They don’t have towel stations conveniently located on the pool decks, like every other cruise line. For regular rooms they placed them in the room. YC they had it one towel station in the YC area. But wait I’m on in the downstairs aft pool, and need a towel. Go up 10 decks and completely on the other side of the ship. Yeah that’s top notch service. 

It with all that being said. It still wasn’t horrible, but it’s cheaper for a reason. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Their Yacht Club is much better than other lines premium experience.   Pizza is the best at sea.  

Really you think so? In what way? What other lines have you sailed? I hear others saying it’s better yet i haven’t seen anyone give explanations. Other than Buttler is “the best” or something like that. 

The physical space of the YC pool deck is one of my favorites. The rest I think is below the others. 

Food in the YC restaurant is better than MDR, still not as good as either NCL haven or RC coastal kitchen. On the Haven well the menu is fixed (same men items the whole cruise) it’s fantastic, Lobster tails, filet mignon, steak tartare. Costal kitchen I feel has a better menu but that’s highly subjective. They do have a lobster night, something not offered on MSC.

In order to contact the Buttler I have to go through the concierge, other lines I could just pick up any phone and call them directly, and if my personal Buttler is off the phone is forwarded to whoever is covering at that time. 

Yes the pizza is good. However I’m not going on a cruise for pizza. 

7 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

We have friends that had Aurea level balcony level and loved it.  That level included the thermal spa access, anytime dining and priority embarkation.  It’s not that expensive as well.  We’re trying it in February.  According to a lot of people on these MSC threads they have definitely improved things.  For the price, it’s worth a try for us.

20 hours ago, Cashsmoney said:

Really you think so? In what way? What other lines have you sailed? I hear others saying it’s better yet i haven’t seen anyone give explanations. Other than Buttler is “the best” or something like that. 

The physical space of the YC pool deck is one of my favorites. The rest I think is below the others. 

Food in the YC restaurant is better than MDR, still not as good as either NCL haven or RC coastal kitchen. On the Haven well the menu is fixed (same men items the whole cruise) it’s fantastic, Lobster tails, filet mignon, steak tartare. Costal kitchen I feel has a better menu but that’s highly subjective. They do have a lobster night, something not offered on MSC.

In order to contact the Buttler I have to go through the concierge, other lines I could just pick up any phone and call them directly, and if my personal Buttler is off the phone is forwarded to whoever is covering at that time. 

Yes the pizza is good. However I’m not going on a cruise for pizza. 

I did 11 night MSC and on gala night even the non YC dining rooms got free lobster. I found the pizza on MSC better than NCL and Royal, NCL has had better Indian food. I found MDR on MSC better than NCL recent cruises but I do enjoy the any time dining that comes free on NCL but a charge(Aurea experience) on MSC.

• Like 1