Norway Fjords 2025 itineraries

I am so glad that we did Jewel this past June and got to visit Geiranger, Flåm, Olden and Ålesund. I could not imagine missing them on a Norway voyage. 

For those of us who may have mobility issues, a land option is really not feasible . 

Viking has some Geiranger itineraries that we may investigate. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 5:03 PM, hallasm said:

Correct. It can be a long discussion. Inclusion of a cultural or natural value on the world heritage list requires the consent of the state concerned.
The obligation to ensure the protection, preservation and continuation for future generations of cultural and natural heritage rests with the relevant state.
Norway has nominated and accepted the fjords on the UNESCO world heritage list and it is in the interest of humanity that these values are preserved - mass tourism in these fjords will eventually destroy the area. The problem is to find a balance that accommodates the conservation of the fjords and at the same time enables tourism as a source of income.

Hallasm could you clarify something for me - I was under the impression that the Norwegian government wanted the limitations on travel.  Does UNESCO have anything to do with these restrictions?

7 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I was under the impression that the Norwegian government wanted the limitations on travel.  Does UNESCO have anything to do with these restrictions?

Do you mean Norway in general or is it regarding restrictions for Geiranger and Flåm?

When it comes to Geiranger and Flåm, it is probably indirect UNESCO, as Norway is obliged to protect natural areas that are on the World Heritage List. 'Zero Emission Zones' have just been introduced in the fjords that are on the UNESCO world heritage list.

Therefore, most cruise ships cannot sail in the fjords to Flåm and Geiranger from 2026, as they do not meet emission requirements.

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Do you mean Norway in general or is it regarding restrictions for Geiranger and Flåm?

When it comes to Geiranger and Flåm, it is probably indirect UNESCO, as Norway is obliged to protect natural areas that are on the World Heritage List. 'Zero Emission Zones' have just been introduced in the fjords that are on the UNESCO world heritage list.

Therefore, most cruise ships cannot sail in the fjords to Flåm and Geiranger from 2026, as they do not meet emission requirements.

Yes but it is Norway who applied them for the Unesco list and it is Norway as well who is forcing regulations to protect the local environment (not to reduce travel like kitkat343 said but sometimes this comes hand in hand). 

Edited by Saab4444
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

Thanks so much - I was wondering about the history of the regulations of Geiranger and Flam.

2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I was wondering about the history of the regulations of Geiranger and Flam.

I think the primary drive is to bring down emissions in shipping. Norway has been signaling for some time that they plan to take a proactive role not only in the electrification of urban transport and traffic, but also to drastically reduce pollution in a maritime context.

The ferry operator Fjord1 already has several electrified ferries in their fleet, and the Coastal Express from Bergen to Kirkenes operated by Hurtigruten and Havila has also a high focus on reducing emissions from their ships.

• Like 1

We have been to Norway several times since 2012 with Royal and Princess, it is my favourite itinerary  after Alaska .  I always say if you can  find an  itinerary that includes both Flam and Geiranger that is the one to go for.

My SIL' s niece is celebrating a 10th wedding anniversary in September 2024 and their bucket list trip is a cruise to the Fjiords so tonight I have been checking for them what's available for next year.

Do you have to cruise out of Southampton? Royal will only have , at the time , an 18 year old ship with no indoor covered Solarium .... there are much nicer ships with indoor facilities if the weather is inclement . 

Next year MSC Euribia is sailing from Copenhagen and has an itinerary that includes both Flam and Geiranger .... I am looking at September 24 but I am sure there will be opportunities in 2025 . 

Independence is an old ship now, we have had some amazing cruises on her to the Fjiords in 2019 but as you know the rules are changing ...

• Like 2

We are booked on the Serenade World Cruise leg from Southampton to Copenhagen on July 26, 2024, visiting many less common ports. Taking advantage as it is not a traditional itinerary at least on RCCL. Our original plan was to then do the b2b and go to the Norwegian Fjords. But seeing the itinerary it was not really the best, we wanted to switch that to a better itinerary and just stay on our first sailing.

So then we just decided to wait until the 2025 Norway itineraries were released. And as has been discussed, what is offered now is disappointing. Not to say they can't offer more later, but we decided not to wait.

I just asked our TA to instead book the Jewel leaving from Amsterdam on July 6. It has a great Norwegian Fjords 13 night itinerary called "Arctic Circle Tour" that covers most of what everyone recommends (we have not been to Norway).

So we will do an 'almost' back to back. Depart on the Jewel on July 6. Once we arrive back in Amsterdam we spend a few days, then fly on our own to London, and after a few more days board the Serenade on July 26.

We would have preferred to do Norway in 2025. But with the uncertainty of itineraries, and potential environmental restrictions starting in 2026, we didn't want to miss the opportunity. Don't recall us having an almost 40 day vacation since school (I am not retired! but self employed), but DW and I are really looking forward to this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoFlaCruzer said:

We are booked on the Serenade World Cruise leg from Southampton to Copenhagen on July 26, 2024, visiting many less common ports. Taking advantage as it is not a traditional itinerary at least on RCCL. Our original plan was to then do the b2b and go to the Norwegian Fjords. But seeing the itinerary it was not really the best, we wanted to switch that to a better itinerary and just stay on our first sailing.

So then we just decided to wait until the 2025 Norway itineraries were released. And as has been discussed, what is offered now is disappointing. Not to say they can't offer more later, but we decided not to wait.

I just asked our TA to instead book the Jewel leaving from Amsterdam on July 6. It has a great Norwegian Fjords 13 night itinerary called "Arctic Circle Tour" that covers most of what everyone recommends (we have not been to Norway).

So we will do an 'almost' back to back. Depart on the Jewel on July 6. Once we arrive back in Amsterdam we spend a few days, then fly on our own to London, and after a few more days board the Serenade on July 26.

We would have preferred to do Norway in 2025. But with the uncertainty of itineraries, and potential environmental restrictions starting in 2026, we didn't want to miss the opportunity. Don't recall us having an almost 40 day vacation since school (I am not retired! but self employed), but DW and I are really looking forward to this.

Sounds like a very nice Side By Side Cruises(Different Countries) to get the correct itinerary for the Norwegian Fjords.

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2023 at 6:41 AM, SunsetsNSmiles said:

Good morning! 

I was hoping to sail the fjords before 2026 bans go into place. I have also read that some of the best fjords will be closing prior to 2026. From what I’ve heard, Geiranger sounds amazing. It is not on the 2025 itineraries at all. 
I am looking at the June 29 and the Jul 20 sailings and the only difference is one goes to Alesund and the other Skjolden. 
Is one more impressive than the other? 
Also, if there is anyone out there that has good knowledge about this whole 2026 shut down of ports, I would appreciate your advice. This would be a “one and done” trip for us… I don’t mind doing it 5+ years from now, if it looks like ships will be catching up to what the government requires of them environmentally - and more Fjords such as Geiranger would be back on itineraries. Does anyone have any foresight into this? 
thank you all so much for your knowledge, experience and advice! 

I’m going in May on Anthem as Geirangerfjord is a must see on my Fjords cruise.  A dear friend and co-worker booked a balcony on Anthem when she learned the Fjords are closing.  This departure, May 12th, is extra special as we will be in Norway for Constitution Day on May 17th.  2024 is Anthem’s last season in Southampton and after seeing Emma’s cruises Fjords cruise on Anthem in May 2022 and Matt from Royal Caribbean Blog’s doing the same trip last May, don’t want to miss it.  Royal is sending Indy in 2025, but not going to the ports I want.  Would urge you to go this year, if possible.  The major cruise lines will not be able to catch up for many years as they have no zero emission ships (Even LNG is a no go) and none are planned at present.  So the clock is ticking.  Good Luck, hope you can cruise the Fjords soon!  😎

Deep Fjords that include, Flam, Geiranger and Olden if you want to see some amazing scenery!

North cape (Honninsvag) if you want to see whales and hang out and see the midnight sun!

We cruised Fjords in June of 23 with stops in Geiranger, Honninsvag, Alesund, Flam, Olden our stop in Molde was canceled due to some canal/salt levels issues in Amsterdam. 

Hands down one of our favorite RCL cruises.

On 11/10/2023 at 1:45 PM, heatherb1958 said:

We have been to Norway several times since 2012 with Royal and Princess, it is my favourite itinerary  after Alaska .  I always say if you can  find an  itinerary that includes both Flam and Geiranger that is the one to go for.

My SIL' s niece is celebrating a 10th wedding anniversary in September 2024 and their bucket list trip is a cruise to the Fjiords so tonight I have been checking for them what's available for next year.

Do you have to cruise out of Southampton? Royal will only have , at the time , an 18 year old ship with no indoor covered Solarium .... there are much nicer ships with indoor facilities if the weather is inclement . 

Next year MSC Euribia is sailing from Copenhagen and has an itinerary that includes both Flam and Geiranger .... I am looking at September 24 but I am sure there will be opportunities in 2025 . 

Independence is an old ship now, we have had some amazing cruises on her to the Fjiords in 2019 but as you know the rules are changing ...

Royal has Anthem of Seas cruising to Norway in 2024 from Southampton starting on May 12th when we are booked.  Anthem has Fjord cruises at least into July.  Anthem started sailing in 2015 and has already had enhancements, and does have an enclosed Solarium.  Royal is sending Indy in 2025 and she is not even going to Geirangerfjord, a must see, so if you wait till 2025, you could miss out.  Good Luck!  😎

15 hours ago, mycalpal said:

Royal has Anthem of Seas cruising to Norway in 2024 from Southampton starting on May 12th when we are booked.  Anthem has Fjord cruises at least into July.  Anthem started sailing in 2015 and has already had enhancements, and does have an enclosed Solarium.  Royal is sending Indy in 2025 and she is not even going to Geirangerfjord, a must see, so if you wait till 2025, you could miss out.  Good Luck!  😎

Thank you for the info ,    I am also on Anthem B2B  this year to the Fjiords but my understanding reading the OP's post fully is that they are looking at 2025 .