Norway Fjords 2025 itineraries

Good morning! 

I was hoping to sail the fjords before 2026 bans go into place. I have also read that some of the best fjords will be closing prior to 2026. From what I’ve heard, Geiranger sounds amazing. It is not on the 2025 itineraries at all. 
I am looking at the June 29 and the Jul 20 sailings and the only difference is one goes to Alesund and the other Skjolden. 
Is one more impressive than the other? 
Also, if there is anyone out there that has good knowledge about this whole 2026 shut down of ports, I would appreciate your advice. This would be a “one and done” trip for us… I don’t mind doing it 5+ years from now, if it looks like ships will be catching up to what the government requires of them environmentally - and more Fjords such as Geiranger would be back on itineraries. Does anyone have any foresight into this? 
thank you all so much for your knowledge, experience and advice! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SunsetsNSmiles said:

Good morning! 

I was hoping to sail the fjords before 2026 bans go into place. I have also read that some of the best fjords will be closing prior to 2026. From what I’ve heard, Geiranger sounds amazing. It is not on the 2025 itineraries at all. 
I am looking at the June 29 and the Jul 20 sailings and the only difference is one goes to Alesund and the other Skjolden. 
Is one more impressive than the other? 
Also, if there is anyone out there that has good knowledge about this whole 2026 shut down of ports, I would appreciate your advice. This would be a “one and done” trip for us… I don’t mind doing it 5+ years from now, if it looks like ships will be catching up to what the government requires of them environmentally - and more Fjords such as Geiranger would be back on itineraries. Does anyone have any foresight into this? 
thank you all so much for your knowledge, experience and advice! 

Skjolden is in Sognefjord, a great Fjord that also leads to Flam. Alesund is no Fjord at all but a nice little town. Geiranger and Flam will be closed for ships without clean fuel or shore power connection from 2026 latest. Other Fjords and ports in Norway are not clear yet but will also impose similar restrictions. However, you can make a shore exursion from Skjolden to Flam and from Olden to Geiranger. If you want to stop in those ports from 2025 book ships like MSC Euribia, P&O Iona or NCL Norwegian Prima or a German ship from TUI (Mein Schiff).

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Skjolden is in Sognefjord, a great Fjord thats also leads to Flam. Alesund is no Fjord at all but a nice little town. Geiranger and Flam will be closed for ships without clean fuel or shore power connection from 2026 latest. Other Fjords and ports in Noray are not clear yet but will also empose similar restrictions. However, you can make a shore exursion from Skjolden to Flam and from Olden to Geiranger. If you want ro stop in those ports from 2025 book ships like MSC Euribia, P&O Iona or NCL Norwegian Prima or a German ship from TUI (Mein Schiff).

this is amazingly helpful!! Thank you so much 

13 minutes ago, hollon said:

What would be the best schedule for Norway, I know thats subjective, but what are your must see?

Good question - I guess to sum it up I would say that I would put seeing the landscape, the waterfalls, all that the nature has to offer over seeing any specific towns. 

1 hour ago, hollon said:

What would be the best schedule for Norway, I know thats subjective, but what are your must see?

Best deep fjords are Geiranger, Flåm and Olden - Coastal cities are Bergen, Stavanger and Ålesund. 

It is important to do thorough research on the ports you visit - there are several ports in smaller or very small towns that are not that interesting to visit.

3 hours ago, SunsetsNSmiles said:

Also, if there is anyone out there that has good knowledge about this whole 2026 shut down of ports, I would appreciate your advice.

The Norwegian Parliament has adopted a resolution to stop emissions from cruise ships in the Norwegian World Heritage fjords by 2026. The majoritet of Cruise ships will not be able to navigate the UNESCO Heritage fjords to the ports of Flåm and Geiranger from 2026.

However, there is a proposal to allow the use of biogas under certain circumstances for a transitional period of 5 years, so that new cruise ships powered by biogas can still sail the fjords until 2030.

LNG powered ships like MSC Euribia, AIDAnova, Costa Smeralda, P&O Iona and possible more, who can use bio LNG will be able to visit Flåm and Geiranger after 2026.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I took a 7 day cruise to Norway and Geiranger, Flam and Olden were my 3 favorite ports.  We didn't visit Alesund, but it is greatly loved on the Baltic forum.

Geiranger has amazing viewpoints (please note that the highest only opens after a big annual avalanche, sometime between mid May and early June), Flam has an amazing railroad and Olden has the Loen skylift and Briskdal Glacier (a glacier which has been hit hard by global warming but as long as you know to expect a reduced glacier you will enjoy the scenic ride there and lovely hike to the glacier.  There are troll cars you can rent at the Broskdal Glacier if you are traveling with small children or have a disability that would make hiking difficult).

One slight thing to note:  Norway doesn't allow cabs to transport small children without car seats.  If you book cabs ahead of time they are required to provide them, but its important to factor that into your planning if you have small children because most of the ports are too small to have public transportation. 

We really like RC, but had a lovely time on Cunard to Norway and I would generally recommend choosing a Baltic sailing based upon  itinerary and not cruise line.   The one exception is NCL, which has been experiencing difficulties keeping itineraries.  On my last NCL cruise, they cancelled one port and the morning of another after final payment to help the environment.  They continued to advertise the original itinerary for the following month, and didn't let anyone cancel, including people who booked directly with them after the change and were not notified by the NCL phone operators of the changes at the time of booking.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Skjolden is in Sognefjord, a great Fjord that also leads to Flam. Alesund is no Fjord at all but a nice little town. Geiranger and Flam will be closed for ships without clean fuel or shore power connection from 2026 latest. Other Fjords and ports in Norway are not clear yet but will also impose similar restrictions. However, you can make a shore exursion from Skjolden to Flam and from Olden to Geiranger. If you want to stop in those ports from 2025 book ships like MSC Euribia, P&O Iona or NCL Norwegian Prima or a German ship from TUI (Mein Schiff).

Isn't Olden to Geiranger like a 3 hour ride one way ?, if so you better have a long port time in Olden if you want to see or do anything in Geiranger.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thanks 1

I'm beginning to think since Royal really doesn't have anything that great for 2025, maybe do something like this. I think any cruise that doesn't have Flam or Geiranger really isn't going to be that great, like we would be missing the boat. Why not do Norway by Rail/Land?

https://www.vacationsbyrail.com/tours/arctic-circle-express-scandinavia/

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Isn't Olden to Geiranger like a 3 hour ride one way ?, if so you better have a long port time in Olden if you want to see or do anything in Geiranger.

It is 1.5 hours and the Briksdals Glacier Center and road to Dalsnibba are in between. Beautiful drive and scenary. I trust many ship tours will be offered once Olden and Nordfjordeid remain the only open ports. But indeed a land trip with nice hotels makes sense, have done it many times as a local. Look at Havila Hotel Geiranger, Hotel Union Geiranger or Olden Fjord Hotel, Fjord view like being on a ship always included. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if this is it for Royal for 2025 or if they will release a couple more sailings?  The ports I was hoping to do aren’t on the cruises listed.  There is one in May 24 I like but I’m not sure if it’s in the cards for us.  This is a new interest of mine, so I’ve been doing a little looking.  I’m realizing based on upcoming laws that we may need to do this sooner than later.  Norway just looks magical and I’d really like to visit.  I know other lines cruise there as well, but I think Royal is best fit for our family given we have a 10 year old son.  

38 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm beginning to think since Royal really doesn't have anything that great for 2025, maybe do something like this. I think any cruise that doesn't have Flam or Geiranger really isn't going to be that great, like we would be missing the boat. Why not do Norway by Rail/Land?

https://www.vacationsbyrail.com/tours/arctic-circle-express-scandinavia/

I have to visit family in Europe so I was thinking after visiting them hopping on a cruise somewhere would be a nice way to end the trip… and since the Fjords look questionable in the future I was thinking it would be good timing. 

19 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Also, UNESCO sucks and should be ignored/abolished

I don't quite understand what your opinion of UNESCO has to do with this question. UNESCO has nothing to do with future restrictions in the fjords.

• Like 1

Oh, if people have children please note that we took a 2 and 6 year old on our cruise, and the review in my signature line has some info on kids and the ports.  My kids also liked a tour in Flam where you went to a goat farm and then had a local lunch (which included goat that we didn't tell them they were eating since they'd just played with them).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

I don't quite understand what your opinion of UNESCO has to do with this question. UNESCO has nothing to do with future restrictions in the fjords.

They are the ones behind this and the ones that drove it.

They are an EVIL organization.

I have been eagerly anticipating the 2025 Norwegian Fjords itinerary and would’ve been ready to book today but was extremely disappointed by the offerings… on both the June and July cruises the first stop only has a port time of 4pm-10pm.. allowing time for embarkation and disembarkation that doesn’t allow for much of an excursion. To fly to Southampton from North America and spend what ends up being only 3 and a half days in Norway is not worth it to us. I think we will instead do a Norway road trip so we can spend our whole week there and instead look for a warm weather winter cruise. Very disappointing in comparison to the 2023/2024 itineraries… 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, NightOne said:

They are the ones behind this and the ones that drove it.

Correct. It can be a long discussion. Inclusion of a cultural or natural value on the world heritage list requires the consent of the state concerned.
The obligation to ensure the protection, preservation and continuation for future generations of cultural and natural heritage rests with the relevant state.
Norway has nominated and accepted the fjords on the UNESCO world heritage list and it is in the interest of humanity that these values are preserved - mass tourism in these fjords will eventually destroy the area. The problem is to find a balance that accommodates the conservation of the fjords and at the same time enables tourism as a source of income.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, aroundtheworld96 said:

I have been eagerly anticipating the 2025 Norwegian Fjords itinerary and would’ve been ready to book today but was extremely disappointed by the offerings… on both the June and July cruises the first stop only has a port time of 4pm-10pm.. allowing time for embarkation and disembarkation that doesn’t allow for much of an excursion. To fly to Southampton from North America and spend what ends up being only 3 and a half days in Norway is not worth it to us. I think we will instead do a Norway road trip so we can spend our whole week there and instead look for a warm weather winter cruise. Very disappointing in comparison to the 2023/2024 itineraries… 

I too was disappointed in the offerings.  I wonder if they will add more or if what they have on the site is it?  Where do you see the port times?  I usually look on my phone at the website and I don’t see that.  I like the May 2024 route but I don’t think that one is in the cards for us.