Late arrival into MIA - hotel on north or south side of airport?

Alsmez

We're flying in to MIA in December for a cruise (Virgin Voyages). Planning to stay near the airport since we're arriving around 10:30pm the night before and just want to get to bed asap. I've seen plenty of hotel recs but am wondering whether there is a particular advantage to choosing a hotel on the north vs south side of the airport - is one neighborhood nicer, or is the drive to the cruise port in the morning substantially easier, etc.? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference; since you're arriving late and, presumably, making your way to the port in the morning, the neighbourhood doesn:'t matter too much... you aren't going sight seeing.  I like the Comfort Inn and Suites on the north side of MIA.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

II like the Comfort Inn and Suites on the north side of MIA.

That was actually one I circled while searching today - looks like a decent place for the price. Out of curiosity, have you ever stopped at Airport Cafe and Liquors to pick up wine for a cruise? It looks like the only place within walking distance to grab a couple of bottles. We haven't cruised without a drink package for many years so I'm out of practice!

41 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

That was actually one I circled while searching today - looks like a decent place for the price. Out of curiosity, have you ever stopped at Airport Cafe and Liquors to pick up wine for a cruise? It looks like the only place within walking distance to grab a couple of bottles. We haven't cruised without a drink package for many years so I'm out of practice!

No, never went to the liquor store or carried wine onboard.  Can't comment on that.

We've stayed several times at the Homewood Suites in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA (Hampton Inn and other hotels nearby).  There's a strip mall within walking distance that has a Publix grocery store (good wine selection) as well as drug and liquor stores for any last-minute cruise shopping.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Keep in mind that there is a hotel right in the airport terminal itself; no shuttle needed. It has mixed reviews but it would be OK for one night.

https://www.miahotel.com/

King, this place was okey when they still had the pool because you could hang out there.  Now it is just a seedy motel.  I would not stay there if they paid me.

19 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Unless you are in the Blue Lagoon area, do not walk around outside MIA hotels.  Especially carrying bags from a liquor store.

This is what I was wondering about - thank you! We wouldn't be outside at night but might want to walk out in the morning to grab some breakfast and wine for the cruise. Sounds like we're better off in the Blue Lagoon area if we want to do that. 

On 11/15/2023 at 3:02 PM, Alsmez said:

This is what I was wondering about - thank you! We wouldn't be outside at night but might want to walk out in the morning to grab some breakfast and wine for the cruise. Sounds like we're better off in the Blue Lagoon area if we want to do that. 

We always stay at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon.  Free shuttle from airport.  Free breakfast in the morning.  Across the street from a Publix and a Cuban restaurant.  You can get anything you need in Publix.  If you have forgotten any items of clothing like sandals, etc, you can find it in the Burlington store by the Publix. 

They also have a sign up for a shuttle to the cruise port.  (I think it's $10 per person?)  Never had any problems walking around in the area and the Hampton Inn is nice.

• Like 2