Prima TA Semi-Live 11 Days to NY from Spain, 4+ days @Barcelona from JFK ... land/cruise early Thanksgiving vacation

mking8288

5 hours ago, dexddd said:

Unless GA could cross dock some hash browns there is (no) hope ... don't think I have seen beans yet ... no dining plan limit to 1+1+1 or 1+1+1+1 or whatever the staff makes up at that moment ... Mera not related to Prima but to Epic.  

We'll find out tomorrow if GA left a care package for us, that's okay.  Just think, we got to check out both the Epic and Prima this year, both being controversial with new & innovative designs and features.  Prima is different for sure, either hate it and love/like it - reserving opinions for now.  We do appreciate the size of the balcony cabins & additional wirings - making it simple to run command central or station zebra in stealth mode(s)

The annoying consistency with specialty dining crew explaining the inconsistent options, depending on whether it's the voucher or dining package is just a PIT*

The other night in Cagney's - I just threw my arms out & up, told the waiter - stop, whether it's 1 or 2 or 3 or zero, if there is a charge not covered, just put it on my onboard account ... I will sign it, fair enough.  End of the long lecture, which is very confusing to our CAS friends used to getting comp'd as land players.  Last night at Odna, threw out the first curve ball & told the waitress before she got a chance to finish her first sentence - after telling her our choice of the "free" wine.  

5 hours ago, dexddd said:

... has the engineering staff noticed the excessive Amp draw in your room?  Have you seen any brown outs or incurred a peak period extra fee?

Nope, running under their radar even with the Amazon Fire HD tablet running now along with the Linux laptop ... they should be glad that I'm not "tweaking" their network/server (just kidding)  Samsung Smart TV is nice, sharper resolution than the LG TV used on other NCL ships - except we only watch 2 free PVP movies (charges waived for us) on it, the rest are mostly old ones, like Top Gun (T. Cruise !!) - some of the choices are good for children on sea days or otherwise don't have anything else to do in the cabin.  

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 9:43 PM, www3traveler said:

Several people currently on the Viva say Clarence is not there.  They think he might be on the Joy.  He had said that he was going to more only a couple more contracts and then retire.  It was last Spring when he said that.

On 11/24/2023 at 12:13 AM, UKstages said:

as late as november 4th, when i disembarked, he was holding court in sugar cane on the joy.

i couldn't tell you if he is still onboard, but he was as of just a few weeks ago.

Yeppers, Clarense is on the Joy, and I’m not surprised. He lives to make highballs, cocktails, martinis, etc the way he has been accustomed to doing over the 22 years he has been with NCL. He is a brilliant bartender and a fun one too. If you ask him to think of a drink containing certain liquors he’ll whip up one for you. This is his way. 

I asked the bartenders in Metropolitan while on Viva about him and what they told us didn’t surprise me. Both Prima & Viva have scaled down the cocktail/drink menus in every bar and also cut back the variety of liquors … your fave ones might not be there … I love martinis and when I asked for the ones I’ve had on other (non-Prima class) ships over the years I was told they don’t carry the correct liquors/ingredients on board. 

So Clarense must be happy to be back on Joy to spend his last years of his NCL career mixing up and serving up his personal storm - good for him. By the way the Joy will be back to Bermuda for the summer 2024.

We disembarked the Viva yesterday in Miami - it was easy one - face recognition. We have decided to carry on sailing on other ships and will steer clear of the Prima class ships. The Viva TA was our 30th NCL cruise.  

Lastly, the lengthy US Immigration on board the Viva in St. Thomas was due to the fact that there looked to be more non-US citizens than the US ones (they finished long before us), and many of them were using the ESTA for the first time (to the USA) and they had to have their thumb and finger prints taken and that took a bit of time. We (being on deck 9) queued for 2.5 hours for a 15 second inspection as they didn’t require our prints, just a photo (which in turn is used for the disembarkation face recognition). There were only 4 officers sitting at table for us non-US and 2 standing up (brought over from the then-finished US Imm.) for the Canadians. 

@mking8288 sorry for the lengthy post … but I enjoy reading your reviews and pictures!!

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Indulge Food Court for dinner … it’s quiet there and ... menus are different from the lunchtime ones. We very much enjoyed the curries in Tamara and their naan breads are to die for!

Best regards & thanks @bluesea777 ... haven't been to the Food Hall for dinner.  Useful info - appreciate the heads up, we got time since we are out of specialty dining credits on this sailing.  @rmfortin and @Rockyhill copy these insider's tips from CC friends yet top sail together.  And, got some catching up with all the semi/live reports lately, especially the Viva.

Home already on the islands - look like we're be across your front lawn (or is it backyard) early in the morning, might be looking toward Hamilton depending on how the ship is docked (starboard, midship for us)   Won't see any crew members off the ship for a quick shore leave into the parishes - all hands for crew training & drills in prep for Friday's arrival into NY, full USCG inspection for the ship after CBP clearing the officers, crews & pax ... public health & food safety, etc. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Best regards & thanks @bluesea777 ... haven't been to the Food Hall for dinner.  Useful info - appreciate the heads up, we got time since we are out of specialty dining credits on this sailing.  @rmfortin and @Rockyhill copy these insider's tips from CC friends yet top sail together.  And, got some catching up with all the semi/live reports lately, especially the Viva.

Home already on the islands - look like we're be across your front lawn (or is it backyard) early in the morning, might be looking toward Hamilton depending on how the ship is docked (starboard, midship for us)   Won't see any crew members off the ship for a quick shore leave into the parishes - all hands for crew training & drills in prep for Friday's arrival into NY, full USCG inspection for the ship after CBP clearing the officers, crews & pax ... public health & food safety, etc. 

Thanks for alerting us repo cruisers to this helpful info from the TA cruise, @mking8288 Henry. Just curious:  do you know whether this cruise was at/near capacity? I only ask b/c I was surprised to read that Indulge was relatively empty for dinner,  since it seems to be a favorite food venue among vloggers and travel reviewers. And I must admit, I have a (hopefully irrational) fear that *everywhere* is crowded if/when this ship is full!

--Ross

Edited by rmfortin

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

Is the iPad ordering system in Indulge stable now?  I remember we had a lot of issues with them last October.  Hopefully the kinks have been ironed out now.

We've had a lunch and two dinners in Indulge. There haven't been any issues at all with the iPad for us. The ones in Food Republic (on two visits) were very slow to react when punching the different items. The ones in Indulge reacted swiftly and yummy food was brought out quickly!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

<snip> Samsung Smart TV is nice, sharper resolution than the LG TV used on other NCL ships - except we only watch 2 free PVP movies (charges waived for us) on it, the rest are mostly old ones, like Top Gun (T. Cruise !!) - some of the choices are good for children on sea days or otherwise don't have anything else to do in the cabin.  

It was the 'new' Top Gun movie when we were on board a fortnight ago?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunrise, cloudy & windy, seas a little choppy.  Approaching St. George on the west end of Bermuda toward the narrow coral channel into Dockyard at 7 AM. 

Good morning on Day 10, should be docking in about 1 hour  @cruiseny4life - how was the ride upstairs - we hardly felt the expected 3m or 10 ft. waves overnight. 

PXL_20231130_075923772.thumb.jpg.7170f2c6384814d8556d938b0dc90f53.jpg

PXL_20231130_075900664.thumb.jpg.2583e330356baaf133f0d947793ed7c8.jpg

MSC Merv is right behind us, looking at Marinetraffic - can't see her now or the island being starboard ...

PXL_20231130_080058648.thumb.jpg.38fd774f541ee9403ed62e58b2b5d8b5.jpg

Screenshot_20231130-072211.thumb.png.af14c6cdc3c1398ba30ee63e8207961d.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

11 AM? My aunt is onboard. When I booked the cruise and printed her e-tickets, it said 9:30. Has something changed? They are normal cruisers, so no updates from them. Probably wouldn't even know what Cruise Critic is. 

Hash browns! Yes please...Walmart of the Seas can provide hash browns. Too rich for Norwegian. 🤪

That was per one of those mapper sites as far as time.  Looks like they both got waved off from Bermuda but will have to read below, err up, for updates.

21 hours ago, dexddd said:

That was per one of those mapper sites as far as time.  Looks like they both got waved off from Bermuda but will have to read below, err up, for updates.

@dexddd oh 😱 no, looks like we are continuing north & skipping BDA ... something doesn't look right 😤 - we should've turn towards Dockyard by now & Merv is tailing us too - what a bummer.

Not a warm & fuzzy feeling, 322 deg heading at 15 kts and sea choppier - I am afraid. Capt just making the announcement - wind at 40 mph and ... Safety first due to adverse weather conditions from passing cold front. 

PXL_20231130_083659362.thumb.jpg.f6decdd0bbbd4a3db8c609b3b4d9b8f3.jpg

Confirmed from the bridge  😳

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

It was the 'new' Top Gun movie when we were on board a fortnight ago?

Thanks, I stand corrected - we'll get to watch more movies today with an extra day at sea ... skipping the port of call, Bermuda. 

PXL_20231130_080248618.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, Jim for the info ... heading to breakfast now, got another batch of laundry for housekeeping. Plan B - movies for free - T. Cruise's new Top Gun 😎 

PXL_20231130_091725228.thumb.jpg.2d09a53875d5c766077bfbe2973c253e.jpg

PXL_20231130_091733072.thumb.jpg.ec380c7eb69f5bc0ce14334cdb8a8156.jpg

@dexddd - thanks for the effort & wishful thoughts.  We'll get them in NY, but yeah can be greasy 

PXL_20231130_090817516.thumb.jpg.2e81bf7db864b717294a2e09bd0190c2.jpg

Long line for the Hudson, 20 to 30 minutes ... joined the queue, priority seating got us 👌 a table in 10 👍

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

On 11/29/2023 at 4:05 AM, PistolPete13 said:

Is the iPad ordering system in Indulge stable now? 

Are you going to be awake at 5 AM off Hylan Blvd this Friday with your tele-photo lens to capture us coming into NY Bay 😁    On a more serious note, tablets used in Indulge FC are fine, but as noted by @cruiseny4life - the ones in FR are more sluggish & slow to respond. 

On 11/29/2023 at 4:42 AM, rmfortin said:

... do you know whether this cruise was at/near capacity? 

Ross & Paula, ship is basically at full occupancy but not lifeboat max, busy at MDR at peak times. We'll check out Indulge tonight & post our findings - best to go there & dine early as otherwise it filled up quickly.  Once in warmer weather by Monday afternoon, sit outside & order food from there as those extra seating will alleviate the crowds, try the shady side to steer away from the sunbathers plus the lounger hogs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

mking8288, question for you:  When you get to NYC and you are staying for the next cruise, how does that work with a full crew Immigration Check and a full Coast Guard Inspection and Drill? Will you have to leave the ship and then come back or do you just go through a process and stay on board?

Passengers waiting to board The Breakaway on Monday were complaining how long they had to wait to board. From what I read, they sailed at least an hour or so later than scheduled because of the Check and Drill.

I hope you folks are doing well.

Happy Holidays

Mandy

• Like 1

Power breakfast with AFT view, feeling a little bit of fishtailing & sideway jolts due to cross wind. 

PXL_20231130_100713955.thumb.jpg.896d604a57e1cf2dd64395d9f7a49663.jpg

PXL_20231130_103946396.thumb.jpg.42bef64e8abddf1f9e148c85f1664f8a.jpg

Sea state moderate, not really rough for us, waves around 8 to 10 ft. with a little more white caps, 16 kts on a 320 deg or NW heading for NY - consider rough seas, conditions should continue to ease.  Already sailed about 50 nm from Bermuda.

PXL_20231130_110026201.thumb.jpg.ccc5b2e1ff7e1f53ca2b6854f42bb6ac.jpg

PXL_20231130_110134893.thumb.jpg.fc2762702f014b898f4a6bd289cda1d8.jpg

The new FSD has been distributed to the cabins.  Meanwhile, crews are going to carry on with their training drills for Friday's full inspections, taking it very seriously. 

PXL_20231130_1050190562.thumb.jpg.cff0d47df3393c295a5b1a9357bb02b5.jpg

With #cough #cough in surround sound, not going back up to stalk for a spot in the OL.  Movie showtime - Top Gun 2022" 

Collage_2023-11-30_10_19_10.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Power breakfast with AFT view, feeling a little bit of fishtailing & sideway jolts due to cross wind. 

PXL_20231130_100713955.thumb.jpg.896d604a57e1cf2dd64395d9f7a49663.jpg

Henry don’t tell me they really cut back the quality this much… looks like they are substituting “SPAM” for Canadian bacon on their eggs Benedict😱

44 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Are you going to be awake at 5 AM off Hylan Blvd this Friday with your tele-photo lens to capture us coming into NY Bay 😁    On a more serious note, tablets used in Indulge FC are fine, but as noted by @cruiseny4life - the ones in FR are more sluggish & slow to respond. 

Sorry to see that you're missing Bermuda today.

NYC was 25 degrees this morning with a biting wind.  5AM arrival?  No thanks!

Not going to lie, I was thinking of trying to get photos of Prima departing Friday afternoon because an unfortunate error on my part wiped out all the original full res photos I had of my trip last year.  I even put the external views of the ship in that same folder!

But thanks to your thread, I know they are doing a full Coast Guard inspection when she arrives in NYC.  On a normal day NCL never sticks to their departure times from NYC.  And with this inspection?  Forgetaboutit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Ross & Paula, ship is basically at full occupancy but not lifeboat max, busy at MDR at peak times. We'll check out Indulge tonight & post our findings - best to go there & dine early as otherwise it filled up quickly.  Once in warmer weather by Monday afternoon, sit outside & order food from there as those extra seating will alleviate the crowds, try the shady side to steer away from the sunbathers plus the lounger hogs.

Thanks for the update/info @mking8288 Henry--really appreciate all the insights and photos you've taken the time to post and share with everyone.

FYI, we will be staying just a few blocks from the terminal on Friday morning, and frankly, I'm sure I'll be awake well before 5am on embarkation day if you want someone to capture you coming in to port. Still negotiating which lenses I can borrow for the trip with our videographer/photographer son, but tell me where you'll be on deck and I'll do my best to capture the moment (I'm assuming you will be up and waving, right? 😁)

Seriously--see you soon and safe travels the rest of the way! -- Ross

Edited by rmfortin
  • Like 1

So sorry for the Bermuda miss. Did they give you the paid movies for free? My biggest complaint is that there is no schedule of free movies and the lack of movies in the theater on sea days. Also are you going home between cruises to pick up warm weather clothes?