The 70’s party is tired, it’s time to move it to the 80’s

SeaDome

They had an 80’s party on the Navigator a few months back. Had a 70’s party as well. Wife & I were surprised they were actually doing 80’s and we enjoyed it a lot more cause like the OP said the 70’s party was getting old (aka repetitive). They didn’t dress up as anyone specific, but the girls had the big hair, wigwams, big earrings. Kinda like Olivia Newton John singing “Physical”. The guys were dressed like Mr. Roboto or something like that with the dark shades. They also had a Pac-Man dancing. There were a lot of teens enjoying it with their parents. Promenade was packed. Typical 80’s music but the “big songs” were Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and Queen. It was a lot of fun. 

30 minutes ago, Cruiser 5452 said:

Was on the Liberty in late August, talked to several members of the entertainment staff.  All of said that the 70s party was their favorite activity of the week.

well that's nice but the customer is always right.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, jean87510 said:

I would love a Pitbull night.  Or Taylor Swift.  Or any music from this millennium.  Better to dance to.  And I'm turning 60 next year.  

If you look at the sailaway parties, that's the music that's playing and a lot of people are dancing or trying to.  

1 hour ago, zanydoc said:

I second Pitbull! I don’t know ‘bout you, but I feel good!

The NCL cruise I took in 2018 was playing Pitbull *everywhere*. I think he was an ambassador or spokesperson for them at the time? They even had a Pitbull themed Zumba class IIRC. If not themed it was 90% his music. People were definitely enjoying it!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fizzywm said:

The NCL cruise I took in 2018 was playing Pitbull *everywhere*. I think he was an ambassador or spokesperson for them at the time? They even had a Pitbull themed Zumba class IIRC. If not themed it was 90% his music. People were definitely enjoying it!

Could be worse. Taylor Swift. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone,  more than likely the ships cannot play a lot ofthe songs people enjoy because they have to pay royalties on them.  I owned a store for 24 yrs. In a tourist area in Maryland. We played mostly Island music during the day and jazz in the evenings.  Agents for different artists would visit us and wanted us to sign papers that we either paid for their songs or cease playing them.

We didn’t. People loved them!

Hi,

I have always enjoyed the 70s Disco night and have been to just about everyone on every cruise where possible, and too have noticed that either every DJ on every cruise somehow manages to mix the exact same songs the exact same way or are they simply playing a pre-recorded mix - possibly issued from headquarters in Miami?

It could be a rights issue that stops the DJs from mixing in other hits from that era, or it could be orders from above. Sometimes I have heard the same mix of songs in the ships nightclubs too!

I too agree though that of all the parties on board, the 70s night is the most popular. I suppose first time cruisers haven't seen (or heard) it before, and some old timers actually enjoy it and even look forward to it whilst others may choose to go elsewhere - and there is plenty of other things happening too!

It would be nice if Royal introduced other theme nights as well as during the cruise, but I would imagine that unless there was audience participation on the same level as the 70s night, it would be done away with, and I guess certain theme nights may be age specific, so they may have vary them depending on the age of most of the guests.

Remember though that music can be a funny thing. I know lots of people who love Motown and Northern Soul that were not even born when that was the in thing. I know others that lived through a specific decade and hated everything about it. Whatever you do, you can never please everyone all of the time!

During one of my meet the entertainers tours, they told me that everything on board the ship entertainment wise has to be approved by head office and they cannot deviate. Not sure if that is theatre show specific or for all entertainment on board?

However, changing things seems to be a very slow process entertainment wise, yet they can change the menu in the MDR, half the daily cleaning of your cabin and rename the Diamond Lounge fairly quickly, so why can they not simply amend some of the 70s disco playlist, just to see  how it affects things?

Perhaps we could make suggestions here to see what songs from the 70s would be ideal for such a theme night.

Just a few of my favs to sing and dance to are...

Billy Ocean's Love Really Hurts Without You.

Barry White's You're The First, The Last, My Everything

Odyssey's Native New Yorker

and Frantique's Strut Your Funky Stuff

Mick.

Edited by Mick B

On 11/12/2023 at 1:11 PM, alfaeric said:

Having seen an 80's party on a ship previously, I'm betting you should talk to the Cruise Director about the suggestion.  They are the ones who run the entertainment.

No, corporate runs things.  The CD just implements what they are told