The 70’s party is tired, it’s time to move it to the 80’s

SeaDome

5 hours ago, SeaDome said:

The 70s party is the same songs and Village People dance routines.  The 80s was a party decade with some great music.  Gen X isn’t getting any younger.  Our next cruise has 50s, 60s, 70s, and 90s themes.  Like totally skipping over the 80s! Gag me with a spoon! 

I'm not sure America didn't peak in the 70s.  Before technology and data took over everything.  

I love 70s music, and I think pretty much everyone knows the songs they play onboard, but -- yeah -- the 80s brought us some really good music too.  

1 hour ago, JupiterTwo said:

80s? Queen? Michael Jackson? Journey?

Yes, please!  Mercury is named for Freddie Mercury.  

But let's include AC/DC, KISS, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar .  

28 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Tends to be 80s on the bigger, newer ships and 50s/60s on the smaller, older ones to reflect the average age of those on board.

That's appropriate.  But the dance parties don't seem to be a difficult prep activity.  Why not offer several during the week?  

Oh no!  The 80s.  I used to freeze spray my bangs and press them against the mirror for that flat look in the front.  I would put freeze spray on my hands and scrunch my permed hair.  If your hair got touched you could hear it crack.  I’m thinking none of that was really a very good idea.  But I did love Cyndi Lauper because Girls Just Want to Have Fun.  All I need is my tutu back and my ankle boots.

I've been cruising since the 90s and it seems like the music on RCCL cruise ships have been the same 70's and motown classics forever. So many headliner singers (who are great singers, don't get me wrong) seem to have peaked in the 80s on star search and old talk shows and sing songs from the 60s and 70s. At least on other lines, they've sung songs from 80s, 90s and 2000s. I would like to see something new. Every decade has so many icons and great songs they could be slowly adding in.

47 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

If the team puts the effort in, the dance events are very taxing.  When we were on the Explorer the past two weeks, minimal effort was put in nor did the CD participate.  Kinda disappointing.

Last time we attended a 70s show the CD was amazingly involved. Great dancer and could sing. And for that she's one of two CDs from any cruise I've ever been on. Mei was her name.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Last time we attended a 70s show the CD was amazingly involved. Great dancer and could sing. And for that she's one of two CDs from any cruise I've ever been on. Mei was her name.

We had her several times last year in Navigator and she was indeed amazing.  Very high energy that rubbed off on the entire team!  None of the shows I’ve seen since compared.

Off the Odyssey a few weeks ago. They had a 70's and and 80's party. I grew up in the 80's and it's my preferred music. However, the crew made a greater effort in the 70's party.

The 80's was in the Music Hall, Adequate dance floor, but less efficient seating (was full when we got and on the second floor you don't really feel part of the party.

The 70's was in 270 which is a great venue. Alot more space, plenty of dance floor. But the same old Village people which is on every cruise. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it. I just wished they gave the 80's the same venue and maybe a little more effort.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lilyhammer said:

I've been cruising since the 90s and it seems like the music on RCCL cruise ships have been the same 70's and motown classics forever. So many headliner singers (who are great singers, don't get me wrong) seem to have peaked in the 80s on star search and old talk shows and sing songs from the 60s and 70s. At least on other lines, they've sung songs from 80s, 90s and 2000s. I would like to see something new. Every decade has so many icons and great songs they could be slowly adding in.

The needle is definitely moving, although it may not seem that way.  Even into the 2000s, Elvis, the Beatles, Chuck Berry, Sinatra, etc. were the dominate music.  You don’t hear this era much anymore, sans some tired production shows and headliners.  And if you go dancing, most all music is from the 70s or later.  When I was a kid in the 1990s, my grandma went with us a few times and would always go dancing and even Motown was too modern for her taste.

The majority of cruisers tend to be older on average, so I’m not surprised 70s and 80s continue to dominate.  I’m not sure how many people in their mid-30s to mid-40/la would enjoy dancing to Bye, Bye, Bye or Hit Me Baby One More Time with their kids :).  Maybe in 10 more years…

42 minutes ago, HERDFAN said:

Crue, Poison, Kix, Cinderella.  Yea, I'm in! But I would need a real parachute for pants.

Yes definitely Motley Crue and Cinderella. Don’t forget ac/dc, slaughter and white snake.  Maybe I need to go on an 80’s themed cruise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Tends to be 80s on the bigger, newer ships and 50s/60s on the smaller, older ones to reflect the average age of those on board.

In my 11 years of selling royal I have not seen the 50s/60s show offered.  I suppose maybe it could’ve been offered but I would’ve ignored it.  😋.

70s parties are fun but after a few times they do get repetitive. I do like the new 80s parties.  Something fresh even though it is 40 year old music now 😂.  We had an amazing 80s band on the Quantum to Alaska this summer. I think they were from Jamaica. The entire 270 venue was rocking. People dressed up in 80s outfits just like they do with the 70s outfits.

7 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

Just out of curiosity... what would be the "iconic" group, song and costume to theme these parties around?

For the 70s parties, it's clearly The Village People and YMCA.

80s? Queen? Michael Jackson? Journey?

90s?

Queen definitely did their best work in the 70s.  MJ is good for the 60s 70s or 80s.  Journey broke up in 87, but they were definitely part of the 70s.  I hated them in both decades.  

I think the 80s would be more about the bands like (we are only talking pop music, not real music aka rock and roll) Depeche Mode U2, REM, ABC, World Party, Adam Ant, Culture Club, Go Gos, the Police, etc….

I hate dance music, but disco aka 70s party is way better than the dance electronics stuff of the 80s.  

Not a fan of either.  But I would rather dance to YMCA than Come on Eileen.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

In my 11 years of selling royal I have not seen the 50s/60s show offered.  I suppose maybe it could’ve been offered but I would’ve ignored it.  😋.

70s parties are fun but after a few times they do get repetitive. I do like the new 80s parties.  Something fresh even though it is 40 year old music now 😂.  We had an amazing 80s band on the Quantum to Alaska this summer. I think they were from Jamaica. The entire 270 venue was rocking. People dressed up in 80s outfits just like they do with the 70s outfits.

They had 50s/60s themed nights on my cruises last year.  Not exactly sure what they did, I never saw anyone dress up 50s/60s style… but then again not many people dress up 70s/80s style either.  Don’t recall seeing a 50s/60s night this year… 

12 hours ago, alfaeric said:

But I doubt they will change much until the crowds that attend really start to go down.

Good point, on every cruise including my most recent the Royal Promenade was packed for the seventies party. 

1 hour ago, Itried4498 said:

They had 50s/60s themed nights on my cruises last year.  Not exactly sure what they did, I never saw anyone dress up 50s/60s style… but then again not many people dress up 70s/80s style either.  Don’t recall seeing a 50s/60s night this year… 

There was one on the Jewel TA in September.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, doghog said:

Disco is dead.  

Yeah. Disco night club had all been phased out on cruise ships. So should the 70's disco songs. It's 2023. Bring on the Swiftie parties.

Edited by sfaaa