The 70’s party is tired, it’s time to move it to the 80’s

SeaDome

I've avoided these because I don't like disco from the 70's.  I went to the 90's party on my last cruise.  I was a teen in the 90's but it was very cheesy with the dancing and pop songs they picked.  I think that the problem with the decade shows is that they need to pick songs that young kids and grandma will enjoy.  They will always pick pop songs over rock.  Aqua 80's has a really good song selection.  The pub singer does mostly 90's and 00's rock songs that are great.  I'll avoid those decade parties and I'm ok with that.  I'll find something else to do.        

We had both the '70s and '80s dance parties on the Navigator back in August. 

Maybe it depends on the demographics of each sailing as to how popular each party is.

For our cruise, the 80’s dance party was DEAD.  Hardly anyone participated.  I think they had more people looking at the Invicta watch sale than the 80s party.  Whereas the '70s party was packed.

80’s Dance Party.  Not many people cared as they kept on walking

20230807_223044.thumb.jpg.8629b2ac96661674110ca35f26b36d3f.jpg

70’s Dance Party.  Wall-to-wall people

20230809_223201.thumb.jpg.eaa2452c026690f7b1e9016bcfe8e29c.jpg

Personally, I hope the 70’s party lasts for a while longer as I’m looking forward to my grandkids pushing me to the Royal Promenade in a wheelchair and I will raise my arms up at the YMCA song and just be stuck there at the Y part as arthritis would lock my arms in the Y position.  So my version of the song is Y-Y-Y-Y...🤪

There must still be enough boomers out there remembering the Disco era as Capital One just brought back Travolta for the Christmas commercial as dancing Santa for the Holidays:

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, mek said:

Two weeks ago there was an 80's party on Adventure.

Agree, seen many 70's AND 80s(with Glam and Madonna dressed) Parties on Royal for yrs now, usually on longer Cruises. That said 70's been going on for over 30yrs for Royal when in 90's showed my Kids their Dad could do the Electric Slide. Don't see it changing, are they going do update Dressed Grunge or Hip Hip for the 90's? Dress up like Teens Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift to their 2010's Music... Not going happen

Edited by ONECRUISER

Totally disagree! I often cruise with one of my adult kids who were born in the 80s-90s. They LOVE the 70s party. We once had a tie-dye party to make shirts for our cruise. My kids have told me that - back in high school - kids didn't get up to dance until the DJ put on something like "Brick House."  

Years ago, a work colleague and I organized a huge 70s party and everyone had a blast. We decided to recreate it the next year as an 80s party and - while fun - it didn't live up to the first party. Gotta have that disco ball!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 2:41 PM, Itried4498 said:

The promenade dance parties are a collection of hits.  70s includes Village People, Donna Summers, etc.  80s includes Elton John, Twisted Sister, Madonna, etc.

I haven’t seen a 90s versions yet.

Oh there's a 90's version alright on Wonder of the Seas and it was bad when I saw it. The era of grunge rock does not exactly scream party time.

I agree with the OP... get rid of the tired 70's disco party and stick with the 80's for now.  It's the better decade for retro music.

• Like 1

I would love a Pitbull night.  Or Taylor Swift.  Or any music from this millennium.  Better to dance to.  And I'm turning 60 next year.  

If you look at the sailaway parties, that's the music that's playing and a lot of people are dancing or trying to.  

There were some awesome dance songs on our Quantum sailing for the 80’s party in the 270 venue.  The place was really rocking.  Wish I could remember them all.  Van Halen’s “Jump” comes to mind.  

The 80’s wasn’t all metal and hair bands.  There are a lot of great songs from that decade to get folks out dancing.

23 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

There were some awesome dance songs on our Quantum sailing for the 80’s party in the 270 venue.  The place was really rocking.  Wish I could remember them all.  Van Halen’s “Jump” comes to mind.  

The 80’s wasn’t all metal and hair bands.  There are a lot of great songs from that decade to get folks out dancing.

Michael Jacksons Thriller Album came out in 1982.  Madonna.  Tina Turner was big then.  Prince, cyndi Lauper, Rick James, U2, NWA...etc..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I would love a Pitbull night.  Or Taylor Swift.  Or any music from this millennium.  Better to dance to.  And I'm turning 60 next year.  

If you look at the sailaway parties, that's the music that's playing and a lot of people are dancing or trying to.  

When you are a true top 40 music fan, you stay current on all the new hits, not just oldies. 

• Like 1

Top 40 sucks.  I love music, have a multiple massive audio systems, and I don’t really know any of Taylor’s music.  I have heard it, but it just doesn’t stick.  

Top 40 is just commercial noise.  Making money for the system… not interested.  

That said, the 70s parties have always been well attended in the main promenade, the hush stuff usually gets stuck in a smaller venue to have a full audience. TS… nope.  

Has anyone seen the movie Nope… Yep… NOPE

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, JupiterTwo said:

Yes, but the one's I've seen had them all dress up as The Village People.

That's why I asked who would they dress up as for an 80s party? Michael Jackson? ABBA? KISS?

Talking Heads

• I still enjoy both the 70's and 80's parties. Since we are retired and travel when there are very few younger people on the ship I wish they would start these before 10 PM. If you enjoy the 70's era you are probably in your last 60's or 70's so it would be nice if it started earlier.
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:03 AM, SeaDome said:

The 70s party is the same songs and Village People dance routines.  The 80s was a party decade with some great music.  Gen X isn’t getting any younger.  Our next cruise has 50s, 60s, 70s, and 90s themes.  Like totally skipping over the 80s! Gag me with a spoon! 

When was the last time you were on an RCI cruise? I usually cruise at least once a month on RCI. No matter what class ship I am on, the 70s party is always very crowded, and often the most crowded “party” during the cruise. 

I was on Allure last week and I was feeling the same about their 70s party. It was fun and the CD was involved (threw me one of those coveted plastic rings!) but the music was a bit unimaginative. In the beginning they said they would play all 70s, not just disco. All the music was at least Disco adjacent. I kept waiting for some rock!

On 11/12/2023 at 10:36 PM, SoFlaCruzer said:

Off the Odyssey a few weeks ago. They had a 70's and and 80's party. I grew up in the 80's and it's my preferred music. However, the crew made a greater effort in the 70's party.

The 80's was in the Music Hall, Adequate dance floor, but less efficient seating (was full when we got and on the second floor you don't really feel part of the party.

The 70's was in 270 which is a great venue. Alot more space, plenty of dance floor. But the same old Village people which is on every cruise. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it. I just wished they gave the 80's the same venue and maybe a little more effort.

Yep... the same track list played in virtually the same order on every ship we have been on!

There are hundreds of tracks.... mix it up a little!!

Edited by icsys
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, jean87510 said:

I second Pitbull! I don’t know ‘bout you, but I feel good!

Edited by zanydoc
  • Haha 1