The 70’s party is tired, it’s time to move it to the 80’s

SeaDome

The 70s party is the same songs and Village People dance routines.  The 80s was a party decade with some great music.  Gen X isn’t getting any younger.  Our next cruise has 50s, 60s, 70s, and 90s themes.  Like totally skipping over the 80s! Gag me with a spoon! 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, SeaDome said:

The 70s party is the same songs and Village People dance routines.  The 80s was a party decade with some great music.  Gen X isn’t getting any younger.  Our next cruise has 50s, 60s, 70s, and 90s themes.  Like totally skipping over the 80s! Gag me with a spoon! 

The 70s isn't all about disco. A lot of great music from the 70's. RCs activities staff needs to realize that. Disco is dead. 50s, 60s and 70s, bring it on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SeaDome said:

You have a choice. Don't go if you don't like it.

• Like 1

Having seen an 80's party on a ship previously, I'm betting you should talk to the Cruise Director about the suggestion.  They are the ones who run the entertainment.

But I doubt they will change much until the crowds that attend really start to go down.  And if the current 80s party results in low crowds, those CD's will tell the others.  

• Like 1

Just now, alfaeric said:

Having seen an 80's party on a ship previously, I'm betting you should talk to the Cruise Director about the suggestion.  They are the ones who run the entertainment.

But I doubt they will change much until the crowds that attend really start to go down.  And if the current 80s party results in low crowds, those CD's will tell the others.  

I wonder if they base the theme nights on the current age demographics of the passengers who’ve booked for the particular cruises. If that’s case I’m guessing there will be a lot of people in their 60’s and 70’s on my upcoming cruise. 

• Like 2

Depends on when you grew up . Wife loves 70’s music we do a charter cruise on Celebrity called rock and romance, have seen , America, Boz Scaggs, Rita Coolidge, Air Supply, Michael McDonald, BJ Thomas, Todd Rundgren and many others, cruise in March has Don McLean , Dave Mason and many others.

• Like 3

The three ships I’ve been on in the past year have each had both the 70s and 80s nights/ events.  The “dance parties” on the promenade are identical.  The 90s events are far more limited, generally limited to an hour or so of a DJ playing 90s hits in some obscured location.

We just got off the two week Explorer transatlantic.  When the cruise first went live in the app, it looked as if they rolled the prior year’s cruise forward.  It mentioned a 50s/60s night, but that soon disappeared.  Most of the passengers were born in the 30s and 40s, so it would’ve been appropriate… but looks like Royal is moving past that era :).

The 70s are still very appropriate IMO.  Regardless of whenever you’re 20 or 70, you’ll recognize and enjoy the music.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

Just out of curiosity... what would be the "iconic" group, song and costume to theme these parties around?

For the 70s parties, it's clearly The Village People and YMCA.

80s? Queen? Michael Jackson? Journey?

90s?

The promenade dance parties are a collection of hits.  70s includes Village People, Donna Summers, etc.  80s includes Elton John, Twisted Sister, Madonna, etc.

I haven’t seen a 90s versions yet.

4 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

Just out of curiosity... what would be the "iconic" group, song and costume to theme these parties around?

90s?

Easy. Pick a decade, pick a genre, pick a band. If the activity staff can't figure that out they should find other work. 

6 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

The promenade dance parties are a collection of hits.  70s includes Village People, Donna Summers, etc.  80s includes Elton John, Twisted Sister, Madonna, etc.

I haven’t seen a 90s versions yet.

Yes, but the one's I've seen had them all dress up as The Village People.

That's why I asked who would they dress up as for an 80s party? Michael Jackson? ABBA? KISS?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

Yes, but the one's I've seen had them all dress up as The Village People.

That's why I asked who would they dress up as for an 80s party? Michael Jackson? ABBA? KISS?

They do a couple costume changes but they’re specific to a genre, not person.  For example, they dress up as glam rockers when doing the hair mental songs.

The only person they try to portray as is Madonna but it never looks anything like 80s Madonna. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

90s?

Let’s do 80’s hair bands 😀

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Tends to be 80s on the bigger, newer ships and 50s/60s on the smaller, older ones to reflect the average age of those on board.

Seems like the 70s/80s shows are going fleetwide while the 50s/60s shows are being phased out.  

• Haha 1