Removing Cookies

secondtime

I have read that removing HAL cookies will help navigate the website without getting error messages.  There are many threads of problems with the website and I have tried a couple of recommendations with no success.  Would someone please explain how to remove HAL cookies for those of us who are technology challenged?  I normally use Google Chrome but have problems in other search engines also.

33 minutes ago, secondtime said:

Would someone please explain how to remove HAL cookies for those of us who are technology challenged?  I normally use Google Chrome but have problems in other search engines also.

To remove ONLY HAL cookies without crippling your other sign-ins, Click the little circle next to the URL "address" in your browser. It may have a different symbol in it than my is showing (I swear it used to be a padlock!). Then select "Cookies and site data" or something similar depending on your browser. 

signin cookies.jpg

^^^

HERE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

To remove ONLY HAL cookies without crippling your other sign-ins, Click the little circle next to the URL "address" in your browser. It may have a different symbol in it than my is showing (I swear it used to be a padlock!). Then select "Cookies and site data" or something similar depending on your browser. 

signin cookies.jpg

^^^

HERE

Crystal ot going to be a night mare when people have to print out boarding passes .or on their cell phones  Just try to get past Security at the San diego cruise port with out a boarding pass & current pass port ,, It will noy happen  .I live here I know for a fact no one gets in to the building with out a printed ot on their cell phone the boarding pass 

Cliff 

Another old fashion hack to at least try when the electronic gremlins play tricks, just unplug everything from the wall and let it "rest" for at least a few minutes and reset.

Was told  this by early computer geeks (the old Kaypro crowd) that electrons can back up and they need  to bleed out.  Electronic devices being very different animals, than just electricity driven devices. Capacitors and all that. 

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

When removing cookies need to be super careful you do not loose your pass words stored to otther web sites  .I my self will not tacj=kle that job with out professional help 

One should NEVER allow a browser to store your user ids or passwords - so easy to hack!! Use a password manager if you can’t remember them. 

7 hours ago, kazu said:

All you need is a screen shot from the Navigator of your boarding pass or pull up Navigator.  I had no problem with that in San Diego nor in Amsterdam.  You can do that with a smart cell phone, Ipad, tablet or even a laptop.

that more than suffices (with your passport of course).  

with a new cell phone android how do you do that ?  Nit only  the boarding pass problem but we would have a lot of extra t=rhings to manage because we are both handicapped

Edited by mcrcruiser

5 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

One should NEVER allow a browser to store your user ids or passwords - so easy to hack!! Use a password manager if you can’t remember them. 

not every one is tech savvy. Using a computer at my age in mid 80s is reaer than most people know because most people  in this age group do not use computers 

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Another old fashion hack to at least try when the electronic gremlins play tricks, just unplug everything from the wall and let it "rest" for at least a few minutes and reset.

Was told  this by early computer geeks (the old Kaypro crowd) that electrons can back up and they need  to bleed out.  Electronic devices being very different animals, than just electricity driven devices. Capacitors and all that. 

don't fix what you don't know is as true today as it was thousands of years ago.Technology is not easy to understand when ac person was not raised with

17 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

with a new cell phone android how do you do that ?  Nit only  the boarding pass problem but we would have a lot of extra t=rhings to manage because we are both handicapped

Depends on the phone model. On stock Android you drag-swipe up and click on screenshot like in the attached image below.

Alternatively - and this almost always works - depress the power & the volume down buttons simultaneously. (That's how I got the attached screenshot.)

Screenshot_20231112-224715.png

This is from a Pixel 7 Pro running Android 14, which I installed Thursday night.

Edited by POA1

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

not every one is tech savvy. Using a computer at my age in mid 80s is reaer than most people know because most people  in this age group do not use computers 

I know many 85+ people that are very tech savvy. For all you know, I may be one of them! 😀

And if you aren’t tech savvy, perhaps you shouldn’t be giving advise to others about their browsers and cookies?

Password managers are extremely easy to use and you only need to remember 1 password.

in any event, you are free to disregard the advice I wrote above and take your chances with a tech savvy hacker 😀 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, secondtime said:

I have read that removing HAL cookies will help navigate the website without getting error messages.  There are many threads of problems with the website and I have tried a couple of recommendations with no success.  Would someone please explain how to remove HAL cookies for those of us who are technology challenged?  I normally use Google Chrome but have problems in other search engines also.

I also use the Chrome browser on a Windows 11 laptop.

Rather than just deleting the HAL cookies, you may wish to perform a regular clean up of your browser. I do this exercise every couple of months.

Open your browser

-  Select the 3 vertical dots at the top right of the screen

- Select settings, which is close to the bottom of the list

- In the left sidebar, select Privacy & Security

- Select Clear Browsing Data

- This opens another window, with a number of options already selected. Adjust the option(s) you want performed, ensuring Cookies and other site data is selected

- Select Clear Data

As noted, this does more than remove the HAL cookies, it cleans out all the options you selected. I do this every couple of months. Note - you can also achieve the same results selecting History after selecting the 3 dots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:35 AM, OlsSalt said:

...just unplug everything from the wall and let it "rest" for at least a few minutes and reset...

18 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

don't fix what you don't know is as true today as it was thousands of years ago.Technology is not easy to understand when ac person was not raised with

This is a plug. Pull it out. Leave it out a few minutes. Then put it back in.

plug.jpg.be0e8cb0780d9305b373134fa23721a5.jpg

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I can be completely certain when I say that this is not a hardware problem.  Therefore pulling the plug and waiting, as a couple people said, will not fix it.  Now it is conceivable that a reboot (restart in Windows) of the computer could fix it, but you don't need to turn off the power for that. 

It is much more likely that old data which your browser has saved is causing the problem.  This old data could be in the form of cookies or cached web pages.  I personally never found that deleting HAL's cookies does anything to fix these problems, but it is worth trying.  The description by @Heidi13 above, is totally correct when using the Chrome browser under Windows.  How to clear cookies is browser-specific; If you are using a different browser tell us which one and I or other people will tell you how to do it.

What I have found that fixes the problem is to clear all cached web pages within your browser.  Again, this is browser-specific also, so if you tell us exactly which browser you are using, folks can provide help.  Unfortunately, all of this is due to incompetence of HAL's web developers and IT professionals.  It doesn't have to be this way, and I can only imagine how much money they are losing because of frustrating their customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

I work for a password manager so I fully agree with this advice but for those who want to safely delete cookies without removing passwords and aren't ready for a password manager, your browser should allow you to save them separately. All of them (save maybe IE which no one should be using because Microsoft has long since forgotten about it) will prompt you to save them with an extra box. These are more similar to a password manager, won't be cleared when you clear cookies, and even allow you to (optionally) set a password that you must remember and enter before your passwords can be filled. I am very much a password manager fan so I won't say it's as good as a separate password manager, but this is much better than the "remember me" checkbox that saves them much less securely and can be cleared unexpectedly as most websites have a timeout for this feature.

Assuming that you have done one of the above to secure your passwords, you can also automate clearing cookies every time you close your browser. Note that this will apply to all sites and not just HAL so tread carefully. Instructions (many of which include steps to clear cookies on-demand and for specific sites as well) follow:

Chrome
Firefox (this doesn't actually cover the setting I'm talking about -- just clearing cookies generally, but it does show a handy screenshot of where the setting lives, by coincidence so it'll work)

Edge

I am not a Mac person and can't find exact instructions for always clearing cookies in Safari, but you can clear them manually and Safari tends to have pretty robust settings so the option to clear on exit probably exists somewhere, I just can't find it quickly.

Clearing cookies is very safe so long as you do so carefully and clearing on exit can help keep HAL in working order without as much effort (if you want). The words you read in your browser's settings should make it very clear what you're doing so just remember to read carefully and you'll  be good. That applies double to any confirmation messages. Those are there to save you from errors so take the time to read them! They're important!

And, of course, you can be extra safe with a password manager, which doesn't rely on site data at all and will keep on working even if you clear all browser data completely. Or, if computers ain't your thing, there's no shame in a paper password book. They help you remember your passwords and make sure you're using different ones for every site which is probably among the most important password changes you can make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The easiest way to deal with unwanted cookies is to not accept them in the first place.
Open the HAL webpage in the incognito window, so far this has worked much better than deleting the cookies manually.

To open an incognito window, click on the three dots and choose the "New incognito window" option. There may be some negative reason not to do this, but I have not found any yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 11:20 AM, secondtime said:

I read the title and thought HAL was getting rid of cookies from their ships and was very confused 🤣

• Haha 3