It’s been a minute since our last cruise questions…

Glen&Kathy

Hey everyone! So as the topic reads, it has been awhile and apparently some things have changed and I’m hoping for some clarity.

1. Specialty dining used to be a flat rate. When did that change?

2. My wife read something somewhere about drink tax. Is that over and above our fas package?

3. Lastly, the cost of our cruise dropped (we are 60 days out) so I called to inquire about an adjustment. I was told we were eligible for a future cruise credit and that it would show up in latitudes after our cruise is complete.  So, I informed the 2 couples we are cruising with to call as well. 1 was told the don’t qualify and the other was told that “I will submit the paper work and you should hear something shortly” 3 calls, 3 different answers. Thoughts?

thanks in advance!!!!!

G

1. In my head I'm thinking it's been a gradual thing starting with Cagney's and Le Bistro, and then spreading.

2. There are ports (Miami and New York come to mind) that charge a small tax on drinks ordered while in port. Then there's the whole EU thing, which I haven't experienced.

3. Standard NCL customer service. You should all get an FCC, just once.

All I can answer to is the tax on drinks in US Ports prior to sailing away.  .  Yes, our experience in cruises leaving from numerous ports, if you drink before getting pulled away from the Port, there is a state tax that applies to each drink.  

• Like 2

We were on NCL first time in 2016. Seems that they were just starting to move away from flat rate specialty dining at that time. I do know that the FAS drink and dining packages for our May Norway fjords cruise did not charge extra gratuities when we booked, but NCL was doing so for later bookings on the same trip. The FAS specialty dining package also included enough nights that we didn’t actually eat in the MDR for the entire trip. 

8 hours ago, Glen&Kathy said:

Hey everyone! So as the topic reads, it has been awhile and apparently some things have changed and I’m hoping for some clarity.

2. My wife read something somewhere about drink tax. Is that over and above our fas package?

3. Lastly, the cost of our cruise dropped (we are 60 days out) so I called to inquire about an adjustment. I was told we were eligible for a future cruise credit and that it would show up in latitudes after our cruise is complete.  So, I informed the 2 couples we are cruising with to call as well. 1 was told the don’t qualify and the other was told that “I will submit the paper work and you should hear something shortly” 3 calls, 3 different answers. Thoughts?

thanks in advance!!!!!

G

The change from a cover charge to a la cart pricing has been in place for many years. Since most take advantage of the Free at Sea diners and buy additional nights. So the a la cart pricing is mostly irrelevant. 

Some states have started to collect tax in your embarkation port. A tiny amount per drink until you get into international water. 

The Drink Tax like others have said will be applied when still in US Waters. So sailing out of Miami, Port Canaveral, and Port Everglades you will be taxed until you hit International Waters. Doesn't take long to get out there but if you board at noon anticipate about 70 cents for each drink. 

Now sailing out of new orleans it take 6 to 8 hours to hit international waters, noon till around midnight. 

17 hours ago, Glen&Kathy said:

thanks in advance!!!!!

G

If you have NCL Air you aren’t qualified. 

The beverage tax also applies when sailing around Puerto Rico and for whatever reason you are in taxable waters for a few hours after departure.

As to the à la carte pricing in the specialty restaurants: your mileage may vary, but on our last cruise, we had 4 diners with the dining plan, 2 with latitudes vouchers and one diner with no voucher or plan. I explained to the waiter that I wanted to pay for the 7th meal on my account.  We were at Cagney’s  and we all ordered appetizers, entrées, sides, and desserts when he brought me the bill, he had charged all the sides, desserts and appetizers to the bills with vouchers/dining plan and asked me to pay for the cheapest entrée only.  so the menu may say à la carte, but your actual experience may vary.

sorry to hear you got such conflicting answers on an adjustment. After final payment, I have been offered OBC for half the difference and future cruise credit for half the difference. But I normally use the difference to apply to a better quality state room.  It’s a little like gambling because you only get one chance and you need to make the best choice for you at that time. If the prices go down after you made that choice you can’t get another adjustment.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.  I’m a little jealous because I have to wait more than 80 days before my next cruise.

5 hours ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

The beverage tax also applies when sailing around Puerto Rico and for whatever reason you are in taxable waters for a few hours after departure.

the room service fee is also taxed in and near puerto rico.

frankly, i didn't know there could be a tax on a fee... there is no cost basis!

On 11/16/2023 at 10:13 PM, Glen&Kathy said:

thanks in advance!!!!!

G

Aside from the possible issue with having NCL air (I assume the poster was referring to the BOGO offer), I suggest the friends who were told they were not qualified to call and speak to another agent. Agents can be inconsistent in some responses. And, unlike the third couple who were told that the request was in process, expect that the other's request was dropped and it won't just show up later.