HAL drops calls to Israel

Loreto

I  received a notification that HAL has dropped our 2 calls in Israel for the 42 Day Ultimate Mediterranean and Atlantic Passage cruise Nov.9, 2024. Very sorry for the strife there but glad HAL made a decision early on, following what other cruise lines have done.  New itinerary has an overnights in Malta and Alexandria and a call to Algiers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for letting us know.  I haven't received the notice yet, but see the itinerary has changed on my booking.  My tours for Haifa and Ashdod still stand at the moment but they'll get around to cancelling them soon I suppose.  We will probably be changing plans now and cancelling since we booked it to see Israel again.  I'm also glad the decision was made early.

18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for letting us know.  I haven't received the notice yet, but see the itinerary has changed on my booking.  My tours for Haifa and Ashdod still stand at the moment but they'll get around to cancelling them soon I suppose.  We will probably be changing plans now and cancelling since we booked it to see Israel again.  I'm also glad the decision was made early.

Which cruise are you booked on?  We haven’t heard anything yet about our October 2024Holy Land. 

8 hours ago, bennybear said:

Which cruise are you booked on?  We haven’t heard anything yet about our October 2024Holy Land. 

The Volendam Nov. 9, 2024 Ultimate Mediterranean and Atlantic Passage, 42 days, roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale.  We booked it for Israel and the fact it involved Ft. Lauderdale at both ends, no long flights.  I don't have any notices yet either from my TA.  However I looked at my booking and see the itinerary has changed though my two Haifa and Ashdod shore excursions are still on the booking.  I suppose they will cancel and refund my $300 credits and the charge on my credit card for the remainder.

• Thanks 1

Received notice this morning about our NS cruise 5 Oct 24 - Not surprised by the cancellation of the 2 Israeli ports, but disappointed that there are other ports which we'll also miss.  Some of the substitutes are not to our liking so looking to transfer to another cruise.  Very sad circumstances.

• Like 1

Just received notice that the Nieuw Statendam will not be doing port visits in Israel.  Will probably cancel in that this was the major reason why we were taking this cruise. We were planning to celebrate our 50th on this trip.  

A lot of land tours through Israel have also been cancelled.

Probably take my family including grandchildren through the Caribbean instead

• Like 1

Holland America and other lines are being wise and pro-active. This will avoid the possibility of scrambling last minute for alternate ports, and facing the wrath of those passengers that booked only for a particular port, and then demand the world in compensation because their itinerary changed.

For those that have booked specifically for Israel this gives you adequate time to plan accordingly if you wish to proceed or not. Regardless, HAL will not be the only line cancelling Israel in 2024 - if Israel is on your list you may have to wait until 2025.

• Like 5

Received my notice today.  I certainly understand about Israel but am disappointed in all the other changes.   They have removed ports we have not been to and substituted ones we have been to, some several times.  I would have hoped they could have kept the less visited ports.  We were looking forward to Antalya.   But Mykonos, sigh!   Would have loved Patmos. 

i wish they had used the opportunity to visit more of the Greek Islands, and created a unique itinerary.  

We will likely cancel as well.  Appreciate that they’ve been proactive. 

• Like 3

Navies from many nations have participated in anti-piracy operations; not just the USN. It is true that the USN presence is vital, I want to point out that they aren't the only navy supporting anti-piracy operations.

Edited by Blackduck59
added text
  • Like 5

In 2009 Task Force-151 was set upby the USN with the mission to protect global shipping lanes, and is now under the leadership of the Brazilian Navy:

From WIKI: On 8 January 2009, at the United States Fifth Fleet headquarters in Manama, Bahrain, Vice AdmiralWilliam E. Gortney, USN, announced the formation of CTF-151 to combat the piracy threat off Somalia, with Rear Admiral Terence E. McKnight in command.[10] .....

Initially, CTF-151 consisted of the San Antonio, USS Mahan (DDG-72), and HMS Portland (F79), with additional warships expected to join this force.[15] 

Twenty countries were expected to contribute to the force, including Canada, Denmark, France, Japan, Republic of Korea, the Netherlands, Pakistan, Singapore, Thailand and the United Kingdom, all of which have already pledged participation.[16]

On 5 April 2009, United States Rear Admiral Michelle J. Howard, assumed command of CTF-151 and Expeditionary Strike Group 2.[17] 

On 29 May, the Australian Government pledged its support, re-tasking the frigate HMAS Warramunga (FFH 152) from duties in the Persian Gulf to the task force, as well as Lockheed P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft.[18]

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Cargo ship just seized - Red Sea - Yemen terrorists. Are we in for another era of MENA  high seas piracy?

US Navy at one time kept most of the sea lanes open. Global shipping counted on this "global policeman" presence.

This not only will continue but will increase if the nations with sizeable navy's do not take a stand. 

The U.S. has a task force in the area.  Have they been ordered to "stand down.?"