When and how is the discount applied for Sommelier Suite packages?

Funatabi

Mariner Society members who qualify can receive discounts on Sommelier Suite wine packages.

When booking these packages online before the cruise, I don't see any discount applied to the packages when I am ready to check out.  Maybe the discount is reflected at the time of payment?

I am curious to know when and how the discount is applied?

(Should I instead purchase on board in person, rather than online?)

6 minutes ago, Funatabi said:

Mariner Society members who qualify can receive discounts on Sommelier Suite wine packages.

When booking these packages online before the cruise, I don't see any discount applied to the packages when I am ready to check out.  Maybe the discount is reflected at the time of payment?

I am curious to know when and how the discount is applied?

(Should I instead purchase on board in person, rather than online?)

You pay full price if you order the package pre-cruise.  You then receive on board credit once on the ship for the discounted portion.

Far better to book on board - a) to see what wines are available b) to give the crew credit and c) to be charged the correct amount right off the bat 😉 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Smarter to use once onboard IMO:

You can use OBC

You get to see the wines they actually have

The discount is applied at the time of purchase (no hassling to get your credit)

The wine steward gets some sort of credit for the sale (and they seem to appreciate this).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kazu said:

You pay full price if you order the package pre-cruise.  You then receive on board credit once on the ship for the discounted portion.

Far better to book on board - a) to see what wines are available b) to give the crew credit and c) to be charged the correct amount right off the bat 😉 

10 hours ago, Sea42 said:

And you can use OBC if you purchase onboard!

As the OP, I thank you all for the good suggestions. I learn something new every day. I can see the points for buying once on board, so that is the plan. 

• Like 2

Aaaah, Cruise Suzy, thanks for the heads up. I can imagine a lot of people question the amount charged. Hummm, nothing ever seems to be what it is, like a straight %% discount across the board. (Instead of discount on price but not tax.) Oh well, such is the situation. 

10 hours ago, Funatabi said:

Aaaah, Cruise Suzy, thanks for the heads up. I can imagine a lot of people question the amount charged. Hummm, nothing ever seems to be what it is, like a straight %% discount across the board. (Instead of discount on price but not tax.) Oh well, such is the situation. 

18% is not tax but for tipping.  In that way personnel receives the same amount as from passengers paying the full price.  Enjou your cruise and your wines 😋

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

@Funatabi Just FYI: There was a fellow at Guest Services today asking about the amount he was charged, The GS person explained that he had received his Mariner discount based on the price of the Sommelier Suite. However, the 18% was also charged on the full price, not the discounted price.

Yes, the gratuity is on the full price of the package.  It’s been that way for as long as I have been receiving the discounts and it’s the only fair thing to do for the crew IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

18% is not tax but for tipping.  In that way personnel receives the same amount as from passengers paying the full price.  Enjou your cruise and your wines 😋

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes, the gratuity is on the full price of the package.  It’s been that way for as long as I have been receiving the discounts and it’s the only fair thing to do for the crew IMO.

So the 18% is for gratuity, then that's great. I am glad it's going to the crew.  

• Like 1