Oceania Flights to Reykjavik

kibutzer

11 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

Curious for those who have started or ended in Reykjavik what airlines did you fly? Did anyone use O for their flights? This destination seems challenging to get to.

I do not use O for flights.  Did an O sailing last summer that boarded in Reykjavik.  Since Delta is my preferred airline, I used Delta from JFK to Reykjavik.  Good luck…

5 hours ago, kibutzer said:

Curious for those who have started or ended in Reykjavik what airlines did you fly? Did anyone use O for their flights? This destination seems challenging to get to.

We have flown to or through KEF numerous times, always on Icelandair. From IAH, you would likely route through JFK, but from there, the flight is 5:40 in length. Our experience is that the Saga class seating is just fine for that length of trip. While they do not have lie-flat seats, the seats are spacious, lots of leg room and comfortable - similar to old style domestic business class. Their pricing is unbeatable, as it appears to be subsidized by the Icelandic government to promote tourist stopovers in the country. The only downside is that KEF is something of a circus inside the terminal, but it has always worked out fine.

Excellent food and drink, and the Saga lounge in Reykjavik is a seafood lover's delight. Easy to book yourself as well. I'd suggest at least having a look. 🍺🥌 

• Like 1

We are planning to fly home from KEF to Boston next year with a connection to CLT.  Since it is only 5 hours or so, economy class is normally suitable for us.  How does Icelandic economy compare with US carriers?

AFAIK no carrier flys from N. America to Iceland with lie flat Business class seats. Delta competes with Icelandair using narrow body planes with the seats in front looking like domestic first class and are sold as international premium economy.

Hi All,

When we looked into flights from Ottawa to Reykjavik for our cruise this past August from Reykjavik to NYC, we found that there were mostly flights with economy seats on what was effectively overnight flights, a no-no at this ripe old age.  We could fly business class to Europe and then back on business class flights, but this was an expensive option.

We had thought we would spend a week or so in Reykjavik, having been all around Iceland on a previous cruise, but found that the cost of not-so-great hotel rooms was too much.  So much in fact that the cost of the previous cruise on the same ship, that went from NYC to Reykjavik was only slightly more than the cost of the one-way flight plus the Reykjavik sojourn.  We opted to take the back-to-back NYC-Reykjavik-NYC, so did not have to worry about flights at all.

So kibutzer, this does not exactly answer your question, but it might provide another option.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, edgee said:

AFAIK no carrier flys from N. America to Iceland with lie flat Business class seats. Delta competes with Icelandair using narrow body planes with the seats in front looking like domestic first class and are sold as international premium economy.

Correct.

39 minutes ago, WildWanderers said:

When we looked into flights from Ottawa to Reykjavik for our cruise this past August from Reykjavik to NYC, we found that there were mostly flights with economy seats on what was effectively overnight flights, a no-no at this ripe old age.  We could fly business class to Europe and then back on business class flights, but this was an expensive option.

I hope you realize that a "business class flight" from Europe to Reykjavik would not be any kind of premium experience.  It would be coach seating with a blocked middle seat.  That's what intra-Europe "business" is like.

Folks need to remember that the inflight product for "business" differs all across the board.  There are even flights within the USA that are sold as "business" that are nothing more than domestic first, yet are labeled as business for a number of reasons.

In other words, do your research.  Caveat Emptor.

• Like 1

Hi back to FlyerTalker,

You raise a good point that we had thought of dealing with by taking a short flight from Europe, from a point not as far away from Reykjavik as we are in North America, say, from Dublin or Edinburgh, and / or by flying during the day, which for a short flight is not so bad in economy.  At the end of our quite detailed research, the back-to-back cruises option won out.

6 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Its 15 hours from sfo to iceland. 

Maybe if you are adding in all of your connection time.  You have basically two five and a half hour flights if you connect through JFK on Delta.  And a two hour connect there for a total of about 13.

Flying to Denver and then taking Icelandair cuts you even shorter, with a 2:30 flight added to a 7:15.

Its not like 15 hours straight, which is what you would get with SFO to Sydney.

But whatever....I just present facts and let folks decide.

• Like 2

I will NEVER fly Icelandic air again and yes through O.  I paid exstraa for business/first class as I have a problem with the circulation in my legs and wanted to lie flat/feet up.  Icelandic air has a first class that has slightly larger seats (wide), but they do not lie flat!  I am a thin short woman.  My feet dangleed for the entire transcontinental slight to Seattle and my feet/legs looked like two watermelons at the end.  Will never happen again.

8 hours ago, VL1 said:

I will NEVER fly Icelandic air again and yes through O.  I paid exstraa for business/first class as I have a problem with the circulation in my legs and wanted to lie flat/feet up.  Icelandic air has a first class that has slightly larger seats (wide), but they do not lie flat!  I am a thin short woman.  My feet dangleed for the entire transcontinental slight to Seattle and my feet/legs looked like two watermelons at the end.  Will never happen again.

So....did you actually LOOK at the configuration for Icelandair Saga class seating?  Or did you just assume that since it said "business" that you would get lie-flat seating?

There is a certain amount of due dilligence required by consumers. 

• Like 5