Cruise Cash VS Pay As You Go?

CarnivalCruiser875

Headed out on the Mardi Gras in a few weeks. We don't do the Cheers package as we wouldn't drink that amount in a week to break even. But between the two of us on our last cruise, we paid as we went and racked up about $500 ($250/pp) in JavaBlue, frozen drinks on the Lido, wine at dinner, soda, etc.

Looking online, there's an option for bar Cruise Cash. Is there any benefit to doing this versus just paying as we go like we've done before?

TIA!!

I mostly agree with Shof because cruise cash, last time I cruised, was spend it or lose it.  It's not a bad deal if you simply want to pre-pay some  anticipated spending on board.  Just don't buy more than you are SURE you will spend.  The upside is that you will already have cash on your account when you board.

• Like 2

I would only buy cruise bar cash in small amounts ($100-$200) as it is only for drinks whereas cruise cash can be used for anything. I buy Cruise Cash (max allowed $500) every time but months on out as I am just pre paying for onboard credit. Easy to put $100 on the CC and pay it off each month leading up to the cruise instead of having a hefty onboard bill. And the way around the "use or lose" issue with Cruise Cash, you go to a slot machine and put whatever you have left in the machine and then cash out. You get your leftover money in cash! 

For your upcoming cruise, it doesn't make much sense to buy the cruise cash or bar since it is in a few weeks. As Shof stated, its just OBC. Maybe use it in the future like I do.

We are also heading out in 3 weeks (on MG) and we pay as you go as well.  I am not a drinker for the most part (wine with dinner) and DH drinks beer when he drinks (wine with dinner).  We sometimes pad the account with a couple hundred in bar cash (or regular cruise cash which can be used for anything including the bar) using discounted gift cards (10% off) so we have a starting point.  It's just a little something to get the party started (with a little discount too) and then go from there.  It's not a big deal to do and could be worth it if you get the discounted gift cards to add to your account. 

Have a blast on your trip!

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 9:00 AM, ray98 said:

Cruise Cash is only adding an unnecessary step and turning real money into company credits with restrictions.  It was designed as a method to give a gift to someone sailing.

Right, plus Carnival knows those who buy Cruise Cash will spend it and probably more. 

Cruise cash is nonrefundable so it isn't a great idea to buy much, if any. Some people use it to receive on board spending money as a gift; or for budgeting. They would rather pay $50 per month leading up to the cruise than $500 at the end. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:00 AM, ray98 said:

Cruise Cash is only adding an unnecessary step and turning real money into company credits with restrictions.  It was designed as a method to give a gift to someone sailing.

Said it better than me.

There is such a massive obsession with "single price, bundles, included" that some people use this as a form of a discounted Cheers. There is no discount, or savings for doing so. If anything, you end up spending more than you wanted or less than, and need to cash it out. I know no one will ever admit, but there are definitely people who forget to cash out. 

If anything, buy the discounted gift cards.

• Like 1