Just off Sojourn - agree with SLSD

arzz

5 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I keep reading this need on Regent to be prepared to share and it does concern us.

Definitely not true (11 Regent cruises). 
While we prefer to share and have met innumerable wonderful, outgoing, fun fellow passengers this way, we have never had a problem getting a table for two. Many of the tables for two in the CR are at the windows. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:48 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Don’t like having to make reservations for specialty restaurants 120 days before departure.    We really don’t know where we would want to eat on what days.   Does Regent have special menus on some nights and how decent are their included wines.   I expect we will happily return to Seabourn after trying Regent in March.

Suggest you reserve one specialty restaurant for the first night. Easier to get time you want, even easier if you agree to share. Then you can decide if you want to return later in the cruise. You can only make one reservation for each specialty restaurant before you board. 
In the Compass Rose (MDR), every night one side of the menu is the same every night, the other side changes nightly. If there is anything you want, they will make it for you, given 24 hours notice and that they have the ingredients. 
The included wines are generally good, not wow. Have the sommelier send a list of all the included wines on board to your cabin on embarkation day. That way you can pick what you like from day one, as they only offer a couple of included wines each night. But if they have it, you can order any wine on the list in any restaurant any night. 

42 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

Easier to get time you want, even easier if you agree to share.

56 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

Definitely not true (11 Regent cruises). 
While we prefer to share and have met innumerable wonderful, outgoing, fun fellow passengers this way, we have never had a problem getting a table for two. Many of the tables for two in the CR are at the windows. 

So which is it? Easy to get tables for two or easier if you agree to share? 

My question is, Is it easy to get tables for two if you dine around 8pm?

Hopefully I’m not muddying the waters further with this response. In Compass Rose, the main dining room, you can get tables for 2 at any time on request of the Maître’d.  Usually by 8, there’s no wait. As Labonnvie noted, the food selection there is awesome. Food of excellent quality, too. 

Here’s a secret: have the bar-tender in the lounge you’re in call the dining room as you sip and savour to verify availability and to advise when a table is available. Worst (rare) case, have another drink as you comfortably wait.

Specialty restaurants, you get one reservation each—print your confirmation and have it available in case (I’m a detail/oriented guy). You can check for a second ( or third) visit with the Maître’d of that place or with the dedicated person who manages such reservations. 

And again, you have a choice for a sit down experience at breakfast and lunch—with a table for 2 if you prefer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Yes my friend, no problem tables for 2 and depending on the day and venue easy to get even earlier if you chose.  

Frantic36 depending on the weather, try to sit outside @ Setti Mari.  And yes as ON Cruiser suggests, go talk to the Maitre Di and say I'll be here let me know when a table is available - works for us last cruise on Grandeur.  

Best to Keith!  email me when you have time.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Easy to get tables for two in Compass Rose just about any time. 
Easier to get tables in the specialty restaurants at the time you want if you agree to share. Tables for two are limited. 
For Setti Mari we often opt for the second seating, about 8 or 8:15 to avoid waiting for the opening seating at 6:30. The restaurant is also quieter later. 
Sorry for the lack of clarity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want to comment about the MDR (The Restaurant) for breakfast and lunch.  On our SB cruises, both venues have generally been open.  If one were to go into the Restaurat at breakfast (even on a sea day(they would likely find not more than a dozen occupied tables (mostly with couples) and that would be a busy day.  At lunch, it was about the same.  Folks will say that they want the MDR opened for breakfast/lunch, but then they go elsewhere (or order room service).  On one of our Ovation cruises, I convinced DW that we should try breakfast in The Restaurant.  As I recall, there were 3 or 4 other tables, and the offerings were not as good as what we could get in the Collonade.  

When it comes to breakfast, we have become fans of the Collonade and usually find one or two watiers that we truly enjoy.  The combination of ordering and having access to the buffet works for us.  At lunch, we have been underwhelmed by the Restaurant menu.  SB needs to enhance the lunch offerings in the Restaurant, which might actually attract a crowd.  

Hank

• Like 8

We tried the MDR for breakfast and found the same. Small menu. The food was fine, but we also found ourselves gravitating outside of the Collonade at breakfast. We would grab a pre plated serving of fruits and then order what we wanted from a server after we were seated, rather than self serve at the buffet. The food was much better in our opinion and sitting outdoors was just lovely. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Folks will say that they want the MDR opened for breakfast/lunch, but then they go elsewhere (or order room service).  ...  At lunch, we have been underwhelmed by the Restaurant menu.  SB needs to enhance the lunch offerings in the Restaurant, which might actually attract a crowd.

Someone should go to the MDR for lunch and order off the room service menu just to see what they say. I would very much like the club sandwich for lunch somewhere other than in my suite. Sadly our next booking isn't until November.

...adding, if they build it people will come.

On 1/24/2024 at 4:43 PM, frantic36 said:

I am not sure that is this case with Compass Rose as well? I just have often read this response of being prepared to share in all the restaurants which makes me wonder if they don't have many two tops. 

Hi J,

Plenty of 2 tops, just lots of folks who like to dine when it opens is more the case.  Unlike on Seabourn O-class ships where the MDR can - theoretically at least, but why were there always people standing during the muster drills? - seat everyone Compass Rose can not.  With 35 dinners now on Regent ships only once did we and our traveling companions share a table, but only because we met the folks who were in front of us in the line.   

Edited by 2SailingNomads
Typo

Thank you all for your reassurances. I will take the suggestions onboard as they sound sensible. Looking forward to trying Regent later this year.

Currently onboard Sojourn with multiple sea days and have enjoyed lunch in the MDR most days. MDR food has a smaller menu but I can always find food I enjoy and there is the option to order something 24 hours in advance even for lunch.

I must admit after Trivia finishes, in which there are almost 150 participants, the Colonnade gets extremely busy. We have gone to Colonnade twice in 2.5 weeks thankfully early and that's enough even though the food has been good. But from my experience on other luxury lines any buffet can be busy at lunch time.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:35 PM, labonnevie said:

Suggest you reserve one specialty restaurant for the first night. Easier to get time you want, even easier if you agree to share. Then you can decide if you want to return later in the cruise. You can only make one reservation for each specialty restaurant before you board. 
In the Compass Rose (MDR), every night one side of the menu is the same every night, the other side changes nightly. If there is anything you want, they will make it for you, given 24 hours notice and that they have the ingredients. 
The included wines are generally good, not wow. Have the sommelier send a list of all the included wines on board to your cabin on embarkation day. That way you can pick what you like from day one, as they only offer a couple of included wines each night. But if they have it, you can order any wine on the list in any restaurant any night. 

Thanks so much for the information on Regent.   It’s always difficult for the first time sailing on a new line.    We are back on Seabourn in September on the Venture Greenland and Canadian Arctic.   We are taking my sister in law on her first Seabourn cruise.

On 1/28/2024 at 6:52 PM, Vineyard View said:

That is a lot of Trivia players. I had no idea. It’s never been a draw for us, but clearly it’s a pretty big deal! 

I do think that SB uses a deliberate (and smart) strategy of having trivia during the early lunch hour.  It effectively meters the number of folks who show-up at the Colonnade around opening time.  We noticed a similar strategy on a recent Sky Princess cruise where some popular activities were scheduled to conflict with the prime times for lunch.

Hank

33 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I do think that SB uses a deliberate (and smart) strategy of having trivia during the early lunch hour.  It effectively meters the number of folks who show-up at the Colonnade around opening time.  We noticed a similar strategy on a recent Sky Princess cruise where some popular activities were scheduled to conflict with the prime times for lunch.

Hank

crystal always had trivia at noon, at least the old crystal..not sure about the new crystal 

Nancy 

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I guess that does make good sense. We have never sought out trivia, so never noticed. We only seek out lunch when sailing on sea days as we are most always off ship on port days. Thanks for the heads up though. I wish all the trivia players great times! 

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I guess that does make good sense. We have never sought out trivia, so never noticed. We only seek out lunch when sailing on sea days as we are most always off ship on port days. Thanks for the heads up though. I wish all the trivia players great times! 

This only happened on Sea Days (or some days when a ship did not get into port into after lunch hours.  We tend to take longer cruises which often involve many sea days (i.e. trans Atlantic, trans pacific, etc) so we found it a common occurrence.  

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This only happened on Sea Days (or some days when a ship did not get into port into after lunch hours.  We tend to take longer cruises which often involve many sea days (i.e. trans Atlantic, trans pacific, etc) so we found it a common occurrence.  

Thank you for that clarification. I thought it was only on sea days, as it is on other lines, but I wasn’t sure. Either way, good info to have. 

45 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for that clarification. I thought it was only on sea days, as it is on other lines, but I wasn’t sure. Either way, good info to have. 

One lesson we have learned in many cruise lines is to never mess with the trivia junkies.  These folks are hard core. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 1