NCL has been a Pain and we haven't even stepped foot on the ship... Ideas?

Adam Packett

2 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

This sentence does not make sense.

If the cabin does not have FAS as an option, then it's not an option, period.

In all cases, if FAS is available you must pay for the gratuities.

FAS is not "included" - it is accepted or declined.

Yeah, I don't know, I have never upgraded a room this way.  My point had more to do with the delta in price and how/why that did not include the service charges.

3 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Yeah, I don't know, I have never upgraded a room this way.  My point had more to do with the delta in price and how/why that did not include the service charges.

I think it occurred as some others have stated on here already.

The agent neglected to bring the previous FAS election forward; perhaps caused also by a flaw in the NCL software that blanks at previous choices - essentially making it a new booking. Interestingly, though, new online bookings default to accepting all FAS options; you have to opt out if there's one you don't want to take.

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

To rbxlady

Well told.

One difference in this current case is that the OP says they asked the rep if FAS was included and was told that it was.

The same advice about checked the new confirmation still applies and could have revealed the issue right away.

Thank you, it's hard to figure out precisely what happened in OP's case, and there was so much speculation in the comments, so I didn't understand that they were told it was included when it was not. Definitely a different situation than mine, in that case.

Same thing happened to us as OP.  Purchased a b2b2b from NCL.  Second leg itinerary changed to more sea days.  Original cabin was BB with FAS.  Double Lat points.  Decided to upgrade to SH suite on second leg.  Called independent travel agent to change reservation.  Agent had NCL rep on line and me on other line.  They verified that the upgrade to SH would include FAS and Lat point offer.  I had also purchased unlimited Wifi for two prior to the call.  This would also remain.  I said do it.  Received printed confirmation from NCL.  All is well.  Two days before heading to airport, checked to print off information.  Noticed that second leg was still SH, with no other add on.  Called independent travel agent and they called NCL.  They said I lost everything when I changed  categories.  My agent said that is not the case as we have verbal and printed confirmation.  NCL said that I will not have FAS and unlimited Wi-fi when I board unless I pay another $980 USD.  I did as was leaving for airport.  I am on board now and this seems to be a common complaint at the service desk.  But they are unwilling to do anything unless we pay for everything again.  They have no record of me paying the $239  times two for WI-fi.  Even though I hand them the paper that shows that payment.

4 hours ago, mrbucky said:

Same thing happened to us as OP.  Purchased a b2b2b from NCL.  Second leg itinerary changed to more sea days.  Original cabin was BB with FAS.  Double Lat points.  Decided to upgrade to SH suite on second leg.  Called independent travel agent to change reservation.  Agent had NCL rep on line and me on other line.  They verified that the upgrade to SH would include FAS and Lat point offer.  I had also purchased unlimited Wifi for two prior to the call.  This would also remain.  I said do it.  Received printed confirmation from NCL.  All is well.  Two days before heading to airport, checked to print off information.  Noticed that second leg was still SH, with no other add on.  Called independent travel agent and they called NCL.  They said I lost everything when I changed  categories.  My agent said that is not the case as we have verbal and printed confirmation.  NCL said that I will not have FAS and unlimited Wi-fi when I board unless I pay another $980 USD.  I did as was leaving for airport.  I am on board now and this seems to be a common complaint at the service desk.  But they are unwilling to do anything unless we pay for everything again.  They have no record of me paying the $239  times two for WI-fi.  Even though I hand them the paper that shows that payment.

You have written confirmation of payment for services, yet they deny it happened. Sounds awfully strange to me.

Are you certain that the original payment of $239 was not separately credited when they processed your upgrade?

Also, you said that all of your extras were dropped. What about the other $502 that was requested?

(980-239-239). You originally paid that amount (presumably for FAS gratuities) but are not complaining about doubling up.

11 hours ago, mrbucky said:

You have an independent TA.  They own the reservation.  They are the ones who must resolve  the issue.  If you have a receipt showing your payments, send it to them.  You paid them to handle this and they, in turn, sent money to NCL.  They are the ones that have to contact NCL.  That's why they own the reservation.

Since you're on board, you're running out of time to resolve this.  Don't get off the ship until it's resolved with your TA.  Matter of fact, call your credit card company and protest the charge with them.  They'll do a charge back to the 3rd party Travel Agent.  That will get them to resolve it pretty quickly.  Again, do it before disembarking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

You have an independent TA.  They own the reservation.  They are the ones who must resolve  the issue.  If you have a receipt showing your payments, send it to them.  You paid them to handle this and they, in turn, sent money to NCL.  They are the ones that have to contact NCL.  That's why they own the reservation.

Since you're on board, you're running out of time to resolve this.  Don't get off the ship until it's resolved with your TA.  Matter of fact, call your credit card company and protest the charge with them.  They'll do a charge back to the 3rd party Travel Agent.  That will get them to resolve it pretty quickly.  Again, do it before disembarking.

I understand what you are saying about involving the credit card company, but shouldn't the charge be showing as from the cruise line, not the TA? I know when we do a charge through our TA, it shows on our statement as being a charge by the cruise line. And there have been posts warning others that the charge should always show that way, not as a charge to a travel agency.

I would think they would do the charge back to the cruise line, not the TA.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I understand what you are saying about involving the credit card company, but shouldn't the charge be showing as from the cruise line, not the TA? I know when we do a charge through our TA, it shows on our statement as being a charge by the cruise line. And there have been posts warning others that the charge should always show that way, not as a charge to a travel agency.

I would think they would do the charge back to the cruise line, not the TA.

NCL invoices the TA (less the TA’s commission) since they made the booking. The TA in turn invoices the customer.  NCL has the guest’s personal info but only for manifests and charges made once on board.  TA has to pay NCL.  TA owns the booking!

I get an invoice from my TA.  It shows the fare, my OBC (if any), any discounts offered to me by the TA, sailing date, reservation number. personal info, etc.  The charge is for an NCL cruise, but is booked and charged to my cc by the TA.

Edited by graphicguy

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

NCL invoices the TA (less the TA’s commission) since they made the booking. The TA in turn invoices the customer.  NCL has the guest’s personal info but only for manifests and charges made once on board.  TA has to pay NCL.  TA owns the booking!

Yes, the TA owns the booking, but he or she passes through the charge to the cruise line, in this case NCL. They own the charge. It will show on your statement as a charge to NCL.

25 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I get an invoice from my TA.  It shows the fare, my OBC (if any), any discounts offered to me by the TA, sailing date, reservation number. personal info, etc.  The charge is for an NCL cruise, but is booked and charged to my cc by the TA.

I too get an invoice from my TA.

I give me CC information to my TA.

I just checked my CC statements and my CC shows the charge as being from NCL.

I have never seen a charge from my TA.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Nor should you ever see a charge charged to your TA instead of the cruise line.

An example---our last cruise was on the Prima this past summer. We booked it way back in the Fall of 2021. At that time I had an offer from Amex for a $100 credit if we spent $500 for NCL. We were required to deposit $250, but I deposited the $500 to take advantage of the offer. I made the charge on the phone with my TA. If it had show as charged to the travel agency, there would have been no Amex credit .But of course, the charge was direct to NCL. 

On 12/2/2023 at 1:01 AM, gizfish said:

You know how when you call NCL you get the message that the call is being recorded?  Speak with a supervisor and tell them to find the recording where the rep told you your packages would not change.  It doesn't matter that all the cheerleaders here know that isn't the case.  The person representing NCL told you it was, and that mistake is on NCL.

@Adam Packett

agree with @gizfish

Call and ask to speak with the RESOLUTIONS DEPARTMENT. Give them the date and time you talked with the rep and made the upgrade.They can pull up the recording of your conversation.

This helped us get an expensive BOGO airfare credited when our PCC forgot to put in the 2 day deviation. We didn’t know that was missing until we got our air arrangements with arrival at a European destination 4 hours before departure (a lot of pax missed the original departure). 

and in fairness to the PCC, he told us to call resolution cuz he wasn’t able to change anything at that point. He is almost always on point.

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Ditto.

Except for a small fee paid to the TA for the TA's benefit (not going to NCL at all).

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We have never seen any fee from our TA!

That's a good thing.

And mine was a total waste of money.

Here's the dumb tale:

Not too long after I booked last July, there was a price drop on my CBS of $600. I called the TA to rebook. Extra perks were the same, except for an NCL OBC of $200 that was dropped, so net savings were $400. 

Because it takes a bit of time for the amount I paid previously to come up for air, they required another $250 deposit to do the new booking immediately. Now the problem - the agency was running, as they often do, a promotion to put up your deposit money for you They collect it at final payment. This could be for a day, a year, or more.

I was anxious during the process for it all to get done quickly and retain my original cabin selection. So, although the TA explained the process, that explanation did not sink in. Meaning, they charge a flat fee of $24.95 for this privilege. 

So I said to myself, oh, I'll just use the "we'll cover your deposit" option and not have to pay the extra deposit today.

I thought that the fee was for something else that I needed to pay because of the change. Wrong.

Bottom line - it cost 25 bucks to defer that $250 for about a month. Total waste.

PS:

I did not use this feature on my original booking because I purchased a Cruise First certificate for $250 (worth $500) when booking. The $250 I paid covered the required deposit because NCL was running the 1/2 off deposit at the time. Within a couple of days my account had $500 paid in. But that certificate does not rollover instantly, which triggered a request for a new $250 to rebook.

Furthermore, for the original booking, if there wasn't a CF involved AND new they wanted $24.95 to cover my deposit for 2 whole months (booking was 6 months out), I would have declined. 

The CPA in me says that a 10% fee to cover $250 for 2 months still is a crappy deal (assuming you have the cash on hand, of course).

Slightly sad, but all true story.

4 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

That's a good thing.

Here's the dumb tale:

Not too long after I booked last July, there was a price drop on my CBS of $600. I called the TA to rebook. Extra perks were the same, except for an NCL OBC of $200 that was dropped, so net savings were $400. 

Because it takes a bit of time for the amount I paid previously to come up for air, they required another $250 deposit to do the new booking immediately. Now the problem - the agency was running, as they often do, a promotion to put up your deposit money for you They collect it at final payment. This could be for a day, a year, or more.

I was anxious during the process for it all to get done quickly and retain my original cabin selection. So, although the TA explained the process, that explanation did not sink in. Meaning, they charge a flat fee of $24.95 for this privilege. 

So I said to myself, oh, I'll just use the "we'll cover your deposit" option and not have to pay the extra deposit today.

I thought that the fee was for something else that I needed to pay because of the change. Wrong.

Bottom line - it cost 25 bucks to defer that $250 for about a month. Total waste.

PS:

I did not use this feature on my original booking because I purchased a Cruise First certificate for $250 (worth $500) when booking. The $250 I paid covered the required deposit because NCL was running the 1/2 off deposit at the time. Within a couple of days my account had $500 paid in. But that certificate does not rollover instantly, which triggered a request for a new $250 to rebook.

Furthermore, for the original booking, if there wasn't a CF involved AND new they wanted $24.95 to cover my deposit for 2 whole months (booking was 6 months out), I would have declined. 

The CPA in me says that a 10% fee to cover $250 for 2 months still is a crappy deal (assuming you have the cash on hand, of course).

🤦‍♂️, This all sounds too complicated! I just know my TA does not charge any fees. One time we had a not very expensive cruise, and he was going to send us a small check afterwards. After we had 2 price drops (and an upgrade), all of which of course cost him time and money, I told him don't send the check. You just can't be making enough on this booking to justify it.

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

🤦‍♂️, This all sounds too complicated! I just know my TA does not charge any fees. One time we had a not very expensive cruise, and he was going to send us a small check afterwards. After we had 2 price drops (and an upgrade), all of which of course cost him time and money, I told him don't send the check. You just can't be making enough on this booking to justify it.

Same with us except our TA said they couldn't honor any OBC because of the price drops and we also had some FCC added from a previous cruise.  I was po'd at first but after thinking about it I realized they had to make some money too.   I still use them because they do not charge any fees for changes or cancellations and usually their OBC is pretty good. I now always ask for cashback because I learned the hard way that some cruise lines consider TA's OBC non refundable and wound up having to buy gift cards for balances left at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

I get an invoice from my TA.   It looks like this.  I give them my payment information, and they initiate the charges and send this to me.  It's a pass through. charge to NCL.  But, the TA OWNS the booking and are responsible for everything related to the reservation regarding what is/isn't included or charged.  My entire trip and what's included is identified on the invoice.  The TA makes certain to remind me to review it because once it's booked, I agree to the booking as outlined.  Any changes made and they send me a new invoice outlining exactly what the changes are and what is/isn't included.

xxxxxxxxxx
376 Route 9 North
Englishtown, NJ 07726
Toll Free (866) 214-7447
Local (732) 970-9142
Email support@americandiscountcruises.com
Website www.AmericanDiscountCruises.com
Cruise Final Payment Confirmation #: 122307 [click here for Important Details]

Total Price   $ 2,240.52
Total Received   - $ 2,240.52
Balance Due   PAID IN FULL
Final Pmt Received   6/18/2019
Please pre-register at www.ncl.com to obtain your electronic boarding documents. Have a great cruise!
Cruise Package Details Modify / Change  
Cruiseline   NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Ship   NORWEGIAN ESCAPE
Deck    10
Itinerary   BERMUDA (NEW YORK)
Cruiseline Res #   41348733
Sailing Date   6/23/2019   # of Nights: 7
Dining    OPEN
Stateroom 10880
Stateroom Type BF - BALCONY
Passenger Details Modify / Change  
# Full Legal Name Departing City Depart Date Insurance Birthdate
1 Mr. xxxxxxxxx Cruise Only 6/23/2019 customer provided xxxxxxxx
IMPORTANT INSURANCE INFORMATION
At least one, or more, passengers have chosen to decline travel insurance. We STRONGLYrecommend travel insurance as a way to protect your investment in the case of unexpected or unforeseen circumstances that may cause you to cancel or delay your plans. If you would like to purchase travel and cancellation insurance, please notify us immediately.

Passenger Pricing Details  
Description 1
Cruise (includes tax / fees) $ 2,051.12
Beverage Package Service Charge $ 138.60
Dining Package Service Charge $ 15.80
Transfer - Airport To Pier $ 35.00
PASSENGER TOTAL $ 2,240.52
Special Gifts  
Description
$400 Onboard Credit For Cabin
3 Meal Specialty Dining Package
Dinner For 2 At A French Restaurant
Internet Package (250 Minutes) Per Cabin
Internet Package (30 Minutes Per Cabin)
Premium Beverage Package
Shore Excursion $50 Credit Per Port
Payment Details  
Date Payment Type Method Card Type Memo Amount
6/17/2019 Initial Deposit Vendor Direct   Cruise Next 1 Of 2 $ 250.00
6/17/2019 Additional Payment Vendor Direct   Cruise Next 2 Of 2 $ 250.00
6/17/2019 Final Payment Credit Card American Express   $ 1,705.52
6/18/2019 Additional Payment Vendor Direct   Client Added Transfer $ 35.00
TOTAL PAID $ 2,240.52
Mailing Address Modify / Change  
Name   xxxxxxxx
Address  

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxx
Cruise & Travel Expert
(732) 970-9142
(866) 214-7447

Important Information - Read Thoroughly!

All Cruise Passengers Must Pre-Register Prior to Their Cruise Line's Registration Deadline: Click Here for More Information
What should you do now? Follow these easy steps:
  • 1. Review this confirmation to make sure it is accurate.
  • 2. Read the terms and conditions below.
  • 3. Sign and return the bottom portion of this document.
  • 4. Ensure you have the appropriate identification and citizenship documentation for your vacation. To verify this, U.S. citizens can go to https://travel.state.gov. Non-U.S. citizens should contact their equivalent government division.
  • 5. Make sure you pay in full by your final payment due date. In order to pay in full, simply call our agency and provide your agent or a customer service representative with your credit card details. If you'd like to pay with a different form of payment (such as check, money order, or wire transfer), please contact us for additional guidelines and restrictions.
  • 6. Complete your pre-registration online-check-in), if needed. Click the link above for more information.
  • 7. Access your travel documents. Depending on your vendor, they may be accessible to you at the vendor website or they may be sent to you from us. Ask us for more details.
It is your responsibility to verify travel documentation. See step 4 (above) for more information.

are responsible for returning the booking bonus to us.

Review all Tickets and Documents

Charge my credit card on file

My check is enclosed

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Sorry about the story - yes, it was, all together, a bit complicated.

That wasn't even all of MY story - posted elsewhere on these boards - about getting a veterans discount after final payment, which also involved my TA. Complexities there, as well as fixes, courtesy of NCL.

Bottom line, this TA, an online cruise specialist, certainly one of the largest around, does not really charge fees and has generous perks (OBC, gift cards, paid DSC).

The fee in question was for their offer to cover (temporarily) your deposit. If NCL was not running their half off deposit offer, it would have been $500. The offer could have been for as much as a couple of years. This may appeal to some to not go out of pocket for that time. For me, it was not needed and if I realized the fee was involved, I would have simply given another payment, which was 4-5 weeks before final.

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Same with us except our TA said they couldn't honor any OBC because of the price drops and we also had some FCC added from a previous cruise.  I was po'd at first but after thinking about it I realized they had to make some money too.   I still use them because they do not charge any fees for changes or cancellations and usually their OBC is pretty good. I now always ask for cashback because I learned the hard way that some cruise lines consider TA's OBC non refundable and wound up having to buy gift cards for balances left at the end of the cruise.

Sounds like they said they could not give you the OBC because they were not making enough commission. Okay.

Nasty of them to cut the TA's commission due to the FCC as that is a deal between you and NCL. Seems to me more like a reduced payment than a cut off the fare. 

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I get an invoice from my TA.   It looks like this.  I give them my payment information, and they initiate the charges and send this to me.  It's a pass through. charge to NCL.  But, the TA OWNS the booking and are responsible for everything related to the reservation regarding what is/isn't included or charged.  My entire trip and what's included is identified on the invoice.  The TA makes certain to remind me to review it because once it's booked, I agree to the booking as outlined.  Any changes made and they send me a new invoice outlining exactly what the changes are and what is/isn't included.

xxxxxxxxxx
376 Route 9 North
Englishtown, NJ 07726
Toll Free (866) 214-7447
Local (732) 970-9142
Email support@americandiscountcruises.com
Website www.AmericanDiscountCruises.com
Cruise Final Payment Confirmation #: 122307 [click here for Important Details]

Total Price   $ 2,240.52
Total Received   - $ 2,240.52
Balance Due   PAID IN FULL
Final Pmt Received   6/18/2019
Please pre-register at www.ncl.com to obtain your electronic boarding documents. Have a great cruise!
Cruise Package Details Modify / Change  
Cruiseline   NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Ship   NORWEGIAN ESCAPE
Deck    10
Itinerary   BERMUDA (NEW YORK)
Cruiseline Res #   41348733
Sailing Date   6/23/2019   # of Nights: 7
Dining    OPEN
Stateroom 10880
Stateroom Type BF - BALCONY
Passenger Details Modify / Change  
# Full Legal Name Departing City Depart Date Insurance Birthdate
1 Mr. xxxxxxxxx Cruise Only 6/23/2019 customer provided xxxxxxxx
IMPORTANT INSURANCE INFORMATION
At least one, or more, passengers have chosen to decline travel insurance. We STRONGLYrecommend travel insurance as a way to protect your investment in the case of unexpected or unforeseen circumstances that may cause you to cancel or delay your plans. If you would like to purchase travel and cancellation insurance, please notify us immediately.

Passenger Pricing Details  
Description 1
Cruise (includes tax / fees) $ 2,051.12
Beverage Package Service Charge $ 138.60
Dining Package Service Charge $ 15.80
Transfer - Airport To Pier $ 35.00
PASSENGER TOTAL $ 2,240.52
Special Gifts  
Description
$400 Onboard Credit For Cabin
3 Meal Specialty Dining Package
Dinner For 2 At A French Restaurant
Internet Package (250 Minutes) Per Cabin
Internet Package (30 Minutes Per Cabin)
Premium Beverage Package
Shore Excursion $50 Credit Per Port
Payment Details  
Date Payment Type Method Card Type Memo Amount
6/17/2019 Initial Deposit Vendor Direct   Cruise Next 1 Of 2 $ 250.00
6/17/2019 Additional Payment Vendor Direct   Cruise Next 2 Of 2 $ 250.00
6/17/2019 Final Payment Credit Card American Express   $ 1,705.52
6/18/2019 Additional Payment Vendor Direct   Client Added Transfer $ 35.00
TOTAL PAID $ 2,240.52
Mailing Address Modify / Change  
Name   xxxxxxxx
Address  

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxx
Cruise & Travel Expert
(732) 970-9142
(866) 214-7447

Important Information - Read Thoroughly!

All Cruise Passengers Must Pre-Register Prior to Their Cruise Line's Registration Deadline: Click Here for More Information
What should you do now? Follow these easy steps:
  • 1. Review this confirmation to make sure it is accurate.
  • 2. Read the terms and conditions below.
  • 3. Sign and return the bottom portion of this document.
  • 4. Ensure you have the appropriate identification and citizenship documentation for your vacation. To verify this, U.S. citizens can go to https://travel.state.gov. Non-U.S. citizens should contact their equivalent government division.
  • 5. Make sure you pay in full by your final payment due date. In order to pay in full, simply call our agency and provide your agent or a customer service representative with your credit card details. If you'd like to pay with a different form of payment (such as check, money order, or wire transfer), please contact us for additional guidelines and restrictions.
  • 6. Complete your pre-registration online-check-in), if needed. Click the link above for more information.
  • 7. Access your travel documents. Depending on your vendor, they may be accessible to you at the vendor website or they may be sent to you from us. Ask us for more details.
It is your responsibility to verify travel documentation. See step 4 (above) for more information.

are responsible for returning the booking bonus to us.

Review all Tickets and Documents

Charge my credit card on file

My check is enclosed

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Can confirm this is, more or less, what I get from my TA. I get an invoice from them, not NCL.

Funny, though, because my TA is also in Englishtown.

8 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

That's a good thing.

Here's the dumb tale:

PS:

Sounds like this fee was interest on a cash advance the TA gave to cover the deposit.  10% seems high but it isn't out of line with the fee changed for cash advances by credit card companies.