Best or "Secret" Location On Board To Play Games With The Family?

Our family of 6 adults love to play games when we cruise. We play dominoes, cards, some board games, etc. I know the library is a good place to play games but what other possible places to play family games do you recommend?

Sometimes the pool deck tables are too windy. And on Navigator of the Seas they close the Windjammer Buffet when they aren't serving. The Windjammer was always our go to because the tables are big...of course, we never went when it was busy with diners. We have tried the Cosmopolitan lounge but only during the day.

Any "secret" or best location for playing games with the family? Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Let us know the ship

We will then let you know the secret locations 

But you have to promise you won’t tell anyone or advertise it on a public cruise forum - so we can keep it a secret 😉

Nancy 🍹

Ok...Nancy, you had me laughing.

To BlackForest...on the Navigator, Deck 2, across the hallway from the Loyalty Ambassador's desk...is a conference room. We usually find the door open and the room empty.

* Not sure if you have to reserve it to use it. Happy sailing!

* Promise not to tell anyone about this secret.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

It's something Royal has not caught up to compared to other cruise lines. There just aren't enough tables for playing games. The best are the long tables outside of 270 on Quantum class, but that can be a busy area.

I take it one step further and say the library in the back corner of 270. I want to say the 3rd level of the room but don’t recall. I think it is tucked back in the corner.

• Like 2

When I was on Jewel in September to Greenland, they actually opened up the MDR for gaming specifically.  I've never seen that before.

I don't recommend this, but I also noted that the windjammer tables were open (at least on Jewel) for use in between hours, but i don't recommend this only because you would have to move (or should move) once the windjammer opens to serve food. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is interesting that MDR was available. This is something I would never have thought of...will see if that works for our sailing. Apparently the Windjammer on Navigator is closed in between hours which was always our location go to. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackForest said:

That is interesting that MDR was available. This is something I would never have thought of...will see if that works for our sailing. Apparently the Windjammer on Navigator is closed in between hours which was always our location go to. Thanks for the reply.

In the Windjammer, the food section was closed off, but the entry from the side was open.  The back entry was also open to allow for movement through the seated areas of the Windjammer.  

Granted, our cruise had 8 sea days total due to going to Greenland.  The combination of cold weather which excluded the outside deck area for most of the cruise may have had something to do with opening the MDR.  I can say that this cruise was the first time I felt overstimulated indoors because it felt louder than usual and finding a quiet spot was *much* harder than other cruises i've been in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlackForest said:

Wow, a cruise to Greenland sounds fantastic! Thanks for confirming that Windjammer may have a section open when they close off the food section.

I did a live thread for it here.  It may only be for Radiance class, because of the multiple entries available on this ship.  I know on Vision classes and maybe the Voyager classes, there are only entrances on one side, so its easier for them to close off totally then for Radiance classes.  

• Like 1

The Viking Crown Lounge (or whatever it is called on each ship) is empty during the day. Plenty of tables and a nice view.

If you happen to be a Diamond member the Diamond Lounge is open and empty during the day, as is the Suite Lounge if you are in a suite. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 5:12 PM, Denversail said:

I take it one step further and say the library in the back corner of 270. I want to say the 3rd level of the room but don’t recall. I think it is tucked back in the corner.

Yup, there is a room that is on the second floor of 270 all the way tucked in the aft starboard side that would be perfect. 

Edited by TheDawg79

Some ships have a Card Room. 

If you're on Wonder (maybe sister ships), they have some little bump-outs off the running track ... very private.  Not all the bump-outs have tables and chairs. 

Tables outside Johnny Rockets ... between meals.  

Some ships have lounges that aren't always used ... South Pacific lounge on some of the older ships, for example.  Star lounge on other ships.  Music Hall on Wonder, when no musicians are present.  

I've seen people playing cards at the tables near the pool.  I have cards that're plastic /okay to play with wet fingers.  

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 1:31 PM, BlackForest said:

Any "secret" or best location for playing games with the family? Thanks in advance.

This is CC. Secrets no longer exist. Everyone is excited to come and post their secrets after every cruise. And some who have never cruised tell their secrets too! 

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:59 AM, Rogueperson said:

When I was on Jewel in September to Greenland, they actually opened up the MDR for gaming specifically.  I've never seen that before.

I don't recommend this, but I also noted that the windjammer tables were open (at least on Jewel) for use in between hours, but i don't recommend this only because you would have to move (or should move) once the windjammer opens to serve food. 

We also had this on our Rhapsody TA in November.

Thanks again everyone...will try the conference room area, the Windjammer section that is not closed, the MDR (if they open it after service) and maybe poolside if weather permits. The 270 sounds super cool but Navigator doesn't have it.

On 12/6/2023 at 4:39 PM, Rogueperson said:

In the Windjammer, the food section was closed off, but the entry from the side was open.  The back entry was also open to allow for movement through the seated areas of the Windjammer.  

Granted, our cruise had 8 sea days total due to going to Greenland.  The combination of cold weather which excluded the outside deck area for most of the cruise may have had something to do with opening the MDR.  I can say that this cruise was the first time I felt overstimulated indoors because it felt louder than usual and finding a quiet spot was *much* harder than other cruises i've been in.

Same for us on the Arctic cruise last year on Voyager,  it got so loud and crowded inside because no one wanted to be out in the cold, that’s when I appreciate my balcony the most.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BlackForest said:

Thanks again everyone...will try the conference room area, the Windjammer section that is not closed, the MDR (if they open it after service) and maybe poolside if weather permits. The 270 sounds super cool but Navigator doesn't have it.

Not the MDR.  They'll set up tablecloths and dishes for the next meal.  They won't let you in.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlackForest said:

Huh, what time can you play in the MDR? Thanks.

We used the MDR multiple times around 2 PM on a sea day.  After lunch, it was cleared out well before dinner.  There are many variables: ship class, MDR manager, or hotel director. It may be just that a Pinnacle asked to use a small section of the MDR. 

RCI should have more game places. Sea days on a cold weather cruise are brutal.  Passengers tying up tables in a packed WJ, or me trying to find a quiet spot to read in the Solarium or the library.

I'm not saying you can show up at the door because we have always set it up beforehand.

Safe travels.

• Like 1