Carnival form for child traveling without parent

DukeASUGirl

I've found this form for other cruise lines, but not for Carnival.

Does anyone have a link handy for the form needed to be signed and notarized if a child is traveling without a parent?

I'm taking my Girl Scout troop on a cruise, and most girls will have their mom, but there are a handful who won't have a parent in attendance. I want to be sure I get everything in order.

I too am interested in this topic as we are boarding Panorama in February with a teen that is not ours.  I downloaded a form from the internet.  My PVP said "just have the parents write a letter."  There was no mention of having it notarized.  I'm curious if it actually must be notarized?  

This is an excerpt from the CCL FAQ on required documentation:

Traveling with Minors

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the minor (due to sole custody, deceased, etc.) other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, death certificate, birth certificate naming only one parent, would be useful to bring in place of a signed letter. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. 

6 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

This doesn't say anything about notarization, but I know the other cruise lines require that the form be notarized. I assume this will work with a simple signature?

This form doesn't require notarization.  The few times that I have brought grandkids or friends of my kids, I was not required to show the form. 

• Thanks 1

We did this with our grandkids. Took them on two cruises without the parents. Many of the letters will do the where posted. I had these ready but back in 2019 the Carnival never ask for them. 

But also you will need to make sure the parents give you legal rights to make medical decision on their behalf  "incase" quick decisions are needed. As you may not be able to contact the parents right away if something medically happens. We had our grandkids and knew their health requirements and knew what the parents would want. But with complete strangers you may need to know the kids medical needs before hand. 

• Like 1

When I was a Girl Scout leader (Brownie through Senior), I had a form for every girl in my troop that I kept in the first aid kite that was close by for every meeting or outing. 

In short, the form gave me permission to obtain any help or care that was needed for their daughter until the parents/guardians could be reached (no cell phones existed ).

I only needed that permission once for one girl in my twelve years as leader, but when you need it, you need it.

• Like 3

We have traveled many times with our grandson, but only this summer were we ever asked documentation. This was from US Customs, after disembarking. The officer said we should always travel with a notarized letter from his parents authorizing travel and to authorize medical care if needed. (We were not) He actually called my daughter to speak to her. He was very nice, but also serious. We will definitely always travel with these documents from now on.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Homosassa said:

When I was a Girl Scout leader (Brownie through Senior), I had a form for every girl in my troop that I kept in the first aid kite that was close by for every meeting or outing. 

In short, the form gave me permission to obtain any help or care that was needed for their daughter until the parents/guardians could be reached (no cell phones existed ).

I only needed that permission once for one girl in my twelve years as leader, but when you need it, you need it.

Yes, this is actually required in our council. (I'm assuming in all councils.) It's a standard part of the first aid kit, and is part of the approval process to even be allowed to go on such a trip.

I am a regular chaperone / leader with 12-18 year olds and notarized letters and a copy of their insurance cards and knowing food allergies / health background and such is a normal part of the process.

18 hours ago, seeuonthesea said:

We have traveled many times with our grandson, but only this summer were we ever asked documentation. This was from US Customs, after disembarking. The officer said we should always travel with a notarized letter from his parents authorizing travel and to authorize medical care if needed. (We were not) He actually called my daughter to speak to her. He was very nice, but also serious. We will definitely always travel with these documents from now on.

Human trafficking is a tremendous issue, and I am sure there are many children trafficked by people pretending to be grandparents or girl scout troop leaders taking the kids on vacation.

10 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Yes, this is actually required in our council. (I'm assuming in all councils.) It's a standard part of the first aid kit, and is part of the approval process to even be allowed to go on such a trip.

I am glad that it is.

It wasn't for local meetings and day trips in Central Maryland Council back in the 1980s and 90s.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, chocolate melting cake said:

Here is one we've used several times when bringing our granddaughters. We have NEVER been asked for proof either by Carnival or port officers, but felt it worthwhile to have "in case".

child permission.jpg

This is what I do too because I cruise with my children while my husband stays home and goes to work, lol.  Mine is a little shorter.  I just found something online and recreated it in Word, and I change the dates and such every cruise.  We do get it notarized because it's free at our credit union, and I figure it can't hurt.  I have also never been asked for this, but we haven't cruised anywhere besides the Bahamas yet.