Dress code

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Why is a woman in spaghetti straps acceptable, but a man in a tank top is not?

LOL, very good question.

10 minutes ago, asctony said:

Compare to the lady in the chains, totally acceptable. Nothing wrong with his outfit. The only thing I can say is his pants are a little short. LOL

LOL

For general consumption, not necessarily for you or directed directly at you, @asctony:

But, why are those shorts more acceptable than a guy wearing shorts with a T-Shirt or a polo?  Is it because there is a matching jacket?  What difference does that make?  I don't see a difference.

If it wasn't for my wife asking me to wear "slacks", I'd be in shorts for every venue.  It's my vacation after all and it isn't changing the flavor of anybody's meal.  It is either great or sucks regardless of my wardrobe selection.

Disclaimer:  All attire must be clean, neat, and not stink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Why is a woman in spaghetti straps acceptable, but a man in a tank top is not?

IMO, double standard. Women in short dresses but men can't wear shorts. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bermuda shorts on men and women look great (and can be considered formal depending upon what is worn on top); the ship may even be sailing there! Personally, I love it when my husband and I dress up for MDR on all nights. But my hubby is from Germany and he sort of grew up with a more formal dress attitude so I don't have to twist his arm to wear a sports coat or frankly even a tie. But just because we love to dress up at night doesn't mean others have to follow. Now a days all ships have a come one come all approach to the dress code. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in...the dress attire is a mish-mash on board. Sort of a Windjammer buffet of style. I say, you do you and have fun!

• Like 1

By the way, I mentioned to my sister and husband what my comments were about the dress code in MDR and they both disagreed with me. They believe the MDR should be treated like a really nice restaurant, say like Capital Grille. They don't like anyone wearing shorts to the MDR for dinner, but they did agree that no dress code is ever enforced. Now a days the dress code is "suggested" and not mandated. I believe RC "suggests" business casual for most evenings and shorts wouldn't be business casual. But because nothing is really enforced it is pretty much come as you are. I think even the "suggestion" for dress attire should be eliminated. At this point, the suggestion is meaningless.

16 minutes ago, BlackForest said:

By the way, I mentioned to my sister and husband what my comments were about the dress code in MDR and they both disagreed with me. They believe the MDR should be treated like a really nice restaurant, say like Capital Grille. They don't like anyone wearing shorts to the MDR for dinner, but they did agree that no dress code is ever enforced. Now a days the dress code is "suggested" and not mandated. I believe RC "suggests" business casual for most evenings and shorts wouldn't be business casual. But because nothing is really enforced it is pretty much come as you are. I think even the "suggestion" for dress attire should be eliminated. At this point, the suggestion is meaningless.

What your relatives believe doesn't matter. 

RC doesn't address casual as business casual. Casual and smart casual. 😂

Agree, suggested.

FWIW;

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

Edited by doghog

1 hour ago, BlackForest said:

When the MDR starts providing food and service like Capital Grille, then maybe we can discuss an upgraded dress code, but as it is, the MDR is an Applebees.

For the record, I have had dinner @ Capital Grille and Del Frisco's the past several months, and wore shorts both times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

When the MDR starts providing food and service like Capital Grille, then maybe we can discuss an upgraded dress code, but as it is, the MDR is an Applebees.

For the record, I have had dinner @ Capital Grille and Del Frisco's the past several months, and wore shorts both times.

I wish the MDR had Applebee's menu. It's more like the Indian restaurant in your local strip mall which has added a bunch of dishes to the menu in an attempt to please everyone but does non of it well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/8/2023 at 6:35 PM, SeaHunt said:

Ohhh yeah,  I remember that one, and had to go dig this picture up for those who might have missed it (it was posted on a 2019 CC thread about "Wear Your Best") - her Husband made it for her 😉

(I chose not to post the rear view, but it's as you can imagine LOL)

I remember this topic and the photo well. This was a good number of years ago. A heated thread to say the least. 

On 12/8/2023 at 11:23 AM, cdn.cruiser said:

I couldn’t find this topic but I’m sure it has been discussed.

do men need to wear long pants to dinner?

can they wear nice jeans? Or nice shorts?

this is for wonder of the seas in February.

thank you.

Shorts are perfectly fine. Even on designated "Formal Nights". there are no dress codes. You are on vacation. Wear what make you confrontable. No need to carry evening gowns or tuxes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BlackForest said:

By the way, I mentioned to my sister and husband what my comments were about the dress code in MDR and they both disagreed with me. They believe the MDR should be treated like a really nice restaurant

What they "believe" is totally irrelevant. The Facts are that casual attire is totally acceptable on today's cruises. Evening gowns and Tuxes went the way of the dinosaurs. They couldn't adapt and they died. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What they "believe" is totally irrelevant. The Facts are that casual attire is totally acceptable on today's cruises. Evening gowns and Tuxes went the way of the dinosaurs. They couldn't adapt and they died. 

If others do not concern themselves with shorts, tshirts and ballcaps, then neither should you complain about those who prefer to dress up on formal nights. I am not one who does, but families like to dress up for formal night photos and many older folks still dress up. Their choices are not for you to make fun of or concern yourself with. You do you and let them be them. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Evening gowns and Tuxes went the way of the dinosaurs. They couldn't adapt and they died. 

Not completely true in Europe and certainly not in the UK.

Any Royal ship sailing from the New York area we have always found quite formal as well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tin can said:

Not completely true in Europe and certainly not in the UK.

Any Royal ship sailing from the New York area we have always found quite formal as well.

I sailed from NJ 2 months ago..besides the people being way ruder than the Florida sailings...we saw plenty of shorts and tees for dinner. Ourselves included

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I sailed from NJ 2 months ago..besides the people being way ruder than the Florida sailings...we saw plenty of shorts and tees for dinner. Ourselves included

Interesting, I’m from the UK and found New York departing cruises lively with a crowd out for a good time but never experienced any overly rude behaviour.

I’m not saying folks don’t wear shorts on any North East departing cruise but the standard of dress (for want of a better word) is significantly higher from New York than typical Florida departing cruises.

Not that it matters and I’m not concerned either way but that’s always been our experience.

Most people aren't rude enough to genuinely live by the mantra, "I'll do whatever I please!"  Most people want to know what's "average" and how to fit into the crowd (+/- one standard deviation).  Here's what I see MOST PEOPLE wearing on Royal Caribbean -- this is OBSERVATION with very few OPINIONS: 

Regular nights

- On a non-formal night most ladies are in simple sundresses or in black pants + a nice top.  Capris are gone.  Most men are in long pants (or jeans) and only a handful of adult men are in shorts.  Men tend to wear polos or button-down shirts ... a few Hawaiian shirts.  For both men and women, most of the average dinner wear seems to be things that'd be appropriate to wear in an office ... maybe the ladies' hems are a bit shorter and their colors a bit brighter.  

- Whatever most people are wearing, it seems to be neat, clean, not full of holes, etc. 

- Athleti-leisure does not rule the day -- or the dinner; though I did see one whole table wearing shiny, matching pink sweatsuits (men too) and matching ballcaps on a formal night.  Overall, very few adults go into the MDR looking as if they're going to watch a baseball game.  The smattering of hoodies and ballcaps seem to be worn by surly teenagers.  

- Most people wear clothing that the general public would find acceptable (bits and bobs covered, a few bare midriffs here and there), but a few people make odd choices.  I'm thinking of a woman who walked into the MDR ahead of us ... her "pants" were a black thong covered by string pants /literally covering nothing.  I wonder if she was cold sitting on her chair.  These people are memorable but not numerous.  

Formal night

- About 1/3 of the MDR is filled with people who put some effort into dressing up.  The ladies who "go all out" tend to wear short cocktail dresses (95% of them in black -- do they not sell other colors where these people live?).  Most of the men with these ladies wear suits, but a fair number are jacket-less.  Tuxedos are gone.  Kilts are gone.  Military dress is gone.  

- The majority of the MDR diners on formal night are wearing the same thing people wear on non-formal nights:  ladies in sundresses, men in pants/jeans and button-down shirts.  

• Like 2

I literally laughed out loud when I read the comment from @not-enough-cruising (when MDR starts providing service and food like Capital Grille)...too funny!

I completely agree with @Mum2Mercury's analysis. It is spot on!

Personally, I always try to error on the side of dressing up more formal than not. I never forgot that as a young teen I wore shorts to an afternoon performance at the Kennedy Center when we took a family camping trip to the DC area. My mom's logic was DC is a tourist town then we experienced the embarrassment that we were way under dressed. Ever since then I prefer to be over dressed rather than under dressed. But that is me. Not everyone has that experience in their psyche 🤣

• Like 1

As to tanks tops on men versus women - Pit Hair. 🙂

I have seen tuxes and military mess dress in 2022 and 2023. Yes, VERY few but some.  Amazing the change since 2017 when a lot of evening dresses and tuxes.  And most men not in tux were in coat and tie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

As to tanks tops on men versus women - Pit Hair. 🙂

I have seen tuxes and military mess dress in 2022 and 2023. Yes, VERY few but some.  Amazing the change since 2017 when a lot of evening dresses and tuxes.  And most men not in tux were in coat and tie.

I know, those ladies need to shave. 🤣

Not all men have pit hair, like not all ladies shave their pit or leg hair. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1