OBC Questions

redbanshee

Hi all, 

I’m looking for advice/information on the topic of On Board Credits. My hubby and I booked a cruise with a $600 room credit as a perk. Add in the FCC perk of $150 and we have a total  $750 in credits. Problem is we Have it All and Crew Appreciation is included. I have been led to believe it’s a use it or loose it scenario.
It’s a three week cruise.
If we don’t prebook specialty dining or excursions (above our three free) pre-cruise I’m afraid we will never get the date/time for dining or excursion we want. Do you know if we prebook is there a way to get the OBC credits applied somehow towards it leaving refundable credits on our account? Not sure if my question makes sense but any info would be amazing, What’s your experience been? 
Am I gonna have to book things I don’t want to use them up? Thanks in advance everyone 🤗

45 minutes ago, redbanshee said:

Hi all, 

I’m looking for advice/information on the topic of On Board Credits.

...Do you know if we prebook is there a way to get the OBC credits applied somehow towards it leaving refundable credits on our account? Not sure if my question makes sense but any info would be amazing,...

Roger @Crew News came back to his "LIVE" thread to summarize his 'tidbits' in post 244, where he said:

"I learned that if you have a lot of OBC, prepaying Specialty Restaurants to get an ideal dining time and then cancelling the payments at the Front Desk allows all payments to be made with OBC."

So it looks like it can be done. Good luck!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Roger @Crew News came back to his "LIVE" thread to summarize his 'tidbits' in post 244, where he said:

"I learned that if you have a lot of OBC, prepaying Specialty Restaurants to get an ideal dining time and then cancelling the payments at the Front Desk allows all payments to be made with OBC."

So it looks like it can be done. Good luck!

On a recent B2B Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, there was an azipod failure that required the ship to remain in FLL for two days.  In compensation, 200 B2B passengers received $450 OBC.  The Front Desk line to have the prepaid Specialty Restaurants funds moved to "refundable" OBC was lengthy for a few hours. 

With my "non-refundable" OBC, I purchased another watch and gifts for friends.  My credit card received a $227 credit from the "refundable" OBC created by the return of my prepaid dining deposits.

The Front Desk does not have the capability to cancel dining reservations, just refund the prepaid amount to your "refundable" OBC, so you do not lose your reservation time. 

With lots of OBC, prepaying locks in your reservation and get your funds returned before your meal day.  FWIW if I have a traveling companion, I prepay a reservation for only one to not tie up my funds, have my prepaid amount refunded at the Front Desk, and then pay for Specialty Dining for two with OBC. 

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 2

On 12/8/2023 at 10:56 PM, Crew News said:

On a recent B2B Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, there was an azipod failure that required the ship to remain in FLL for two days.  In compensation, 200 B2B passengers received $450 OBC.  The Front Desk line to have the prepaid Specialty Restaurants funds moved to "refundable" OBC was lengthy for a few hours. 

With my "non-refundable" OBC, I purchased another watch and gifts for friends.  My credit card received a $227 credit from the "refundable" OBC created by the return of my prepaid dining deposits.

The Front Desk does not have the capability to cancel dining reservations, just refund the prepaid amount to your "refundable" OBC, so you do not lose your reservation time. 

With lots of OBC, prepaying locks in your reservation and get your funds returned before your meal day.  FWIW if I have a traveling companion, I prepay a reservation for only one to not tie up my funds, have my prepaid amount refunded at the Front Desk, and then pay for Specialty Dining for two with OBC. 

Thanks Crews News! You always seem to have answers 🤗 we will definitely book some extra specialty dining (we get half back in refundable credits being 4 star so the other half back will be nice to have)
Do you know if OBC can be used for excursions, and if not used up any chance to transfer to another cruise or is it use it or lose it in the one cruise. Cheers,

1 hour ago, redbanshee said:

Thanks Crews News! You always seem to have answers 🤗 we will definitely book some extra specialty dining (we get half back in refundable credits being 4 star so the other half back will be nice to have)
Do you know if OBC can be used for excursions, and if not used up any chance to transfer to another cruise or is it use it or lose it in the one cruise. Cheers,

You can use OBC for excursions but waiting to book them until you are on board is really risky.  The popular excursions go quickly.  Cancelling excursions after boarding and rebooking with OBC is possible may have a lot of roadblocks.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 12:27 AM, redbanshee said:

Hi all, 

I’m looking for advice/information on the topic of On Board Credits. My hubby and I booked a cruise with a $600 room credit as a perk. Add in the FCC perk of $150 and we have a total  $750 in credits. Problem is we Have it All and Crew Appreciation is included. I have been led to believe it’s a use it or loose it scenario.
It’s a three week cruise.
If we don’t prebook specialty dining or excursions (above our three free) pre-cruise I’m afraid we will never get the date/time for dining or excursion we want. Do you know if we prebook is there a way to get the OBC credits applied somehow towards it leaving refundable credits on our account? Not sure if my question makes sense but any info would be amazing, What’s your experience been? 
Am I gonna have to book things I don’t want to use them up? Thanks in advance everyone 🤗

Yes - I did this on the Eurodam in October but it took a couple visits to Guest services to get it correct.  You can also do this with excursions - pay for them with cc card then get it transferred to OBC and the amount you put on the CC card shows up as refundable credit on your account.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, redbanshee said:

This could be a good option…thanks 

You can book excursions to ensure you get what you want then once onboard, go to Shore Exc Desk and have them move them to OBC. They can do this even if those excursions are now sold out.

Before you leave the SED, you will see the credit & new purchase in the Navigator. If not used, the credit will be refunded to the card you put on file (which may or may not be the same card you initially used to purchase the excursions- only you will know that) or you may collect cash from GS.

I do this every cruise (including the one that just ended yesterday) w/o issue. Just be aware it must be done at Shore Ex, not GS, and before you go on the excursions. 

Enjoy!

• Like 2

I did the same thing with specialty dining.  Had my booking from my CC charged to my OBC.  Only difference - the podium told me to go to Guest Services to do it.  They did do it so all went well but it seemed to be in contradiction to what others had done on board.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kazu said:

I did the same thing with specialty dining.  Had my booking from my CC charged to my OBC.  Only difference - the podium told me to go to Guest Services to do it.  They did do it so all went well but it seemed to be in contradiction to what others had done on board.  

Hey @kazu yes, GS for dining. For excursions, it has to be done through SED as GS doesn't book excursions. It can be confusing 😕 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @kazu yes, GS for dining. For excursions, it has to be done through SED as GS doesn't book excursions. It can be confusing 😕 

thanks 🙂

It twas the first time I eve needed to do it.  I doubt it will be a concern again 😉  It worked so all was good 😊 

• Like 1

FWIW I booked a B2B on HAL through my TA with HIA EBB and AARP OBC using my CC to make the deposit (no FCCs). The HIA EBB give me $300 SEC, 2 PG dinners and 1 Canaletto. Can I use my AARP OBC & SEC to book PG dining and excursions pre-cruise, then go to the SED and GS, cancel them and get a refund to my CC, or am I SOL? 🤪

27 minutes ago, Bill B said:

FWIW I booked a B2B on HAL through my TA with HIA EBB and AARP OBC using my CC to make the deposit (no FCCs). The HIA EBB give me $300 SEC, 2 PG dinners and 1 Canaletto. Can I use my AARP OBC & SEC to book PG dining and excursions pre-cruise, then go to the SED and GS, cancel them and get a refund to my CC, or am I SOL? 🤪

You cannot use OBC until onboard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

You can book excursions to ensure you get what you want then once onboard, go to Shore Exc Desk and have them move them to OBC. They can do this even if those excursions are now sold out.

Before you leave the SED, you will see the credit & new purchase in the Navigator. If not used, the credit will be refunded to the card you put on file (which may or may not be the same card you initially used to purchase the excursions- only you will know that) or you may collect cash from GS.

I do this every cruise (including the one that just ended yesterday) w/o issue. Just be aware it must be done at Shore Ex, not GS, and before you go on the excursions. 

Enjoy!

Thank you so much! This is very valuable information to have.

41 minutes ago, Bill B said:

Just to be clear -  I believe you have HIA.  that means you can book some shore excursions (up to you HIA limit) on line and it will be used against your HIA credit.  Same thing with your specialty dining.

For anything above your HIA entitlement, you can purchase on line but will need to prepay with your credit card.  Once on board, for shore excursions go to the shore excursion desk and request that your CC be credited and they be charged to your OBC.  You don’t need to cancel.’

For specialty dining in excess of your HIA - you need to go Guest Services (at least I did) and make the same request.

You don’t need to cancel and risk losing your spot.  Just ask them to refund your CC and take it from your OBC.  

Of course, you can also book on board if you are not particular on timing for specialty dining or tours.

20 minutes ago, redbanshee said:

Thank you so much! This is very valuable information to have.

@kazuis absolutely correct in saying don't cancel yourself but go to the appropriate desk once onboard (Gyest Services for dining and Shire Excursions for excursions) to protect your credits, monies and reservations. 

Enjoy!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

The excursions and the dinners get moved from your prepaid to reimbursable OBC and then if it is not used during the cruise it goes back to the credit card that was used to purchase the excursions and dinners.  I did this in Octo on the Eurodam

2 hours ago, Bill B said:

Credits from HIA/EBB are use them or lose them, and AARP OBC is non-refundable, so there is no way to make either go back to your CC. I don't know how that makes you SOL, though, as you can surely spend them on board. 

Or perhaps you are just making fun of cruisers using shorthand?